Terrazzo Flooring

lizard98rx

i would like to have terrazzo poured in the hallway and kitchen and was wondering if who i should go to?

I think the only company in Houston that still pours terrazzo is International Stoneworks but I was told that they only do it for large scale commerical projects like airports and hospitals. We used John Calarco for refinishing our existing terrazzo but I'm positive that he doesn't do new installations.

I think the only company in Houston that still pours terrazzo is International Stoneworks but I was told that they only do it for large scale commerical projects like airports and hospitals. We used John Calarco for refinishing our existing terrazzo but I'm positive that he doesn't do new installations.

I take that back International Stoneworks only does refinishing. National Terrazzo Tile and Marble does installation for commercial projects.

Terrazzo installation is fairly expensive -- especially for small scale projects. A far more economical and just a ascetically pleasing option is terrazzo tile. Also, you won't have to deal with the dust from the grind-down process if you opt for tile.

• 2 weeks later...

I just bought a '63 ranch with 1500 square feet of terrazzo. A 3 x 7 foot section was removed, and some genius nailed carpet tack strips into the terrazzo along nearly the entire perimeter of the house, leaving divots in the flooring when yet another genius pried up the tack strips.

I contacted every terrazzo company in town to do the repairs. A few firms were willing to grind and polish, but only two would even discuss repair and new pour for residential work. Both companies seemed quite experienced and came to my house and gave me estimates. The estimates were extremely high, several times more than the same footage of the best solid hardwoods money can buy. One guy said that to install the terrazzo I have in a new house would run $60,000 to $80,000 today!

I'm going to pony up the bucks for the repairs since my only other choice is to live with the damaged floors. (Not that I'd even consider doing so, but removing the existing terrazzo is nearly as expensive as pouring it.) Aside from cost, something to consider is maintenance. Even with sealer, these floors chemically react with acid just like marble. Spill a soda, fruit juice, pet urine, and you may have a stain that can't be removed even with grinding. I've also been told that I need to spend $100 to $300 yearly if I want to keep the floors sealed, smooth and glossy.

Another consideration is value. Sadly, most house buyers (unless they're mod lovers) do not appreciate the value of poured terrazzo. When and if you sell your house, you are unlikely to recover your investment. Don't get me wrong, I love my terrazzo, but there is a definite down side.

If you decide to proceed, the two terrazzo guys I contacted were:

Jerry at MarbleLife 713-528-7787

John Calarco 832-671-8298

Check out this recent article: Low Cost Terrazzo Flooring

"The Deco-Pour terrazzo typically costs $14 to $16 per square foot installed, whereas a traditional terrazzo floor in the Northwest costs more than $30, Harvey said. The polished overlay Deco-Pour, which doesn't have the added aggregates, costs $10 to $20 a square foot. Projects cost more if the floor needs structural reinforcement, he said"

Here's the Deco-Pour link.

I just bought a '63 ranch with 1500 square feet of terrazzo. A 3 x 7 foot section was removed, and some genius nailed carpet tack strips into the terrazzo along nearly the entire perimeter of the house, leaving divots in the flooring when yet another genius pried up the tack strips.

I contacted every terrazzo company in town to do the repairs. A few firms were willing to grind and polish, but only two would even discuss repair and new pour for residential work. Both companies seemed quite experienced and came to my house and gave me estimates. The estimates were extremely high, several times more than the same footage of the best solid hardwoods money can buy. One guy said that to install the terrazzo I have in a new house would run $60,000 to $80,000 today!

I'm going to pony up the bucks for the repairs since my only other choice is to live with the damaged floors. (Not that I'd even consider doing so, but removing the existing terrazzo is nearly as expensive as pouring it.) Aside from cost, something to consider is maintenance. Even with sealer, these floors chemically react with acid just like marble. Spill a soda, fruit juice, pet urine, and you may have a stain that can't be removed even with grinding. I've also been told that I need to spend $100 to $300 yearly if I want to keep the floors sealed, smooth and glossy.

Another consideration is value. Sadly, most house buyers (unless they're mod lovers) do not appreciate the value of poured terrazzo. When and if you sell your house, you are unlikely to recover your investment. Don't get me wrong, I love my terrazzo, but there is a definite down side.

If you decide to proceed, the two terrazzo guys I contacted were:

Jerry at MarbleLife 713-528-7787

John Calarco 832-671-8298

I have heard John Calarco was more reasonable than marble life. Got any pics of your project?

As for Fritz tile, I saw it put into that big mod house on Santa Elena in Glenbrook and it looks really good.

I have heard John Calarco was more reasonable than marble life. Got any pics of your project?

As for Fritz tile, I saw it put into that big mod house on Santa Elena in Glenbrook and it looks really good.

I had 2000 sq ft of Fritztile installed in my Glenbrook Valley Mod this year. I'd rather have poured but since I can't...the fritztile provides an option. I'm happy with it. My only complaint is that the company that installed my floor advised me that I had to seal it myself after the installation. This required careful mopping of several solutions several times over the terrazzo tiles. It took me several days to do it. After paying $20,000.00 for the tile and installation, I felt they should've finished the job. Other than that...the company was great to work with and worked around other contractors with no complaints.

MEK Floors 281-598-6001. Ask for Elaine, she's the owner. I would strongly suggest negotiating the "finishing task" upfront.

"I had 2000 sq ft of Fritztile installed in my Glenbrook Valley Mod this year... I'm happy with it. My only complaint is that the company that installed my floor advised me that I had to seal it myself after the installation. After paying $20,000.00 for the tile and installation, I felt they should've finished the job. Other than that...the company was great to work with... "

Understanding the scope -- what's included and not included -- is unfortunately incumbent on the owner. That said, you should have been informed that the scope did not include sealer. Could the product in question perform without sealer? Perhaps. But again, as a customer you should have been informed by the vendor as to what was not included -- the written quote for services (which should always be secured) would contain text regarding this aspect.

Nevertheless, you're happy with the outcome and had you utilized poured in place terrazzo, the costs would have been substantially higher. The performance characteristics of terrazzo tile may actually be better than poured in place product. Fritztile is only one company, there are others but the costs are likely consistent with tile product.

For small projects -- under 1000 s.f. -- tile use is most likely the most cost effective choice.

You're right, Calarco gave me a lower bid, but I can't bring myself to call it reasonable. The rehab is scheduled to begin mid-January, and I plan to photograph the before, during and after work for posting here.

Archived