University Of Houston Looking At Jack Pardee

sifuwong

to be their next coach.. I hope they're just saying that to get publicity. Please, this 71yr old ain't gonna cut it anymore. They might as well bring back John Jenkins.

It's a stroke of public relations genius to give the news outlets something to talk about while distracting them away from Dave Maggard's true targets. Right now, all the coaches that UH is really looking at already have jobs...and most still have a bowl game left to coach. The real candidates aren't trying to make public the fact that they are interviewing for a new job while keeping their old job.

Houston Texans need to look at Jack, and get rid of this press box coach, Gary Kubiak.
no way do I want the run and shoot for the Texans.
Maybe, but I don't think so. After listening to the radio shows the past couple days, so many people have so much respect for him. Unless Jack was in on the hype, which it seems his character might now allow it, I think the University has too much respect for him just to use him like that.

So what's the radio hype been like? Positive or negative?

I've have not been able to keep up.

For the most part, very very positive. People seem to be excited about the prospect. They keep hypin up how great of a guy he is, and adding that uh...he's also a great coach and was inducted into the College Football Hall of Fame.

For the most part, very very positive. People seem to be excited about the prospect. They keep hypin up how great of a guy he is, and adding that uh...he's also a great coach and was inducted into the College Football Hall of Fame.

I heard this on the radio this morning. I almost got in a wreck. I had not heard that name in many years. He sort of dissapeared after the Oilers let him go. I think he is too far removed to be successful in this day and age. His age scares me and his absence from college football is almost 20 years. If Maggert thinks this is the best move then I am all for it. It would get a little press going for the Cougs.

BTW, I have not been on this site for over a year. Why, I am not really sure, but It has changed a bit and I am trying to figure out all the upgrades. Looks great !!

I think the Jack Pardee thing is Maggard's Ace in the Hole. It says to other candidates (i.e. highly-regarded assistants such as Sumlin of OU or Haywood of ND) "look, I have a football legend who's willing to work for less than what your agent is demanding for you" in order to get them to come down in price.

If the other candidates fall for it, the University of Houston gets an up-and-coming assistant as its new head coach at a reasonable price, and money is left over to hire competent assistants.

If the other candidates don't fall for it, then Jack Pardee becomes the figurehead of a new staff that includes Tony Fitzgerald (who has been pushing for the job), Jason Phillips, David Klingler, et al. He pretends to be head coach for a few years while a successor is groomed. Pardee doesn't do any recruiting or actual game-planning. All he has to do is dispense advice, attend fundraising activites, stand on the sideline during games, and sit in his office next to pictures of Bear Bryant and NFL Coach of the Year Trohpies when assistants bring recruits in to meet him.

If there's one thing I've learned over the last few years, it's to never estimate Dave Maggard. There is a method to his madness. One way or another, he will bring a new coaching staff to continue the job that Art Briles started, although hopefully with less penalties, special teams miscues, or losses to ULaLa.

• 2 months later...
I think the Jack Pardee thing is Maggard's Ace in the Hole. It says to other candidates (i.e. highly-regarded assistants such as Sumlin of OU or Haywood of ND) "look, I have a football legend who's willing to work for less than what your agent is demanding for you" in order to get them to come down in price.

If the other candidates fall for it, the University of Houston gets an up-and-coming assistant as its new head coach at a reasonable price, and money is left over to hire competent assistants.

If the other candidates don't fall for it, then Jack Pardee becomes the figurehead of a new staff that includes Tony Fitzgerald (who has been pushing for the job), Jason Phillips, David Klingler, et al. He pretends to be head coach for a few years while a successor is groomed. Pardee doesn't do any recruiting or actual game-planning. All he has to do is dispense advice, attend fundraising activites, stand on the sideline during games, and sit in his office next to pictures of Bear Bryant and NFL Coach of the Year Trohpies when assistants bring recruits in to meet him.

If there's one thing I've learned over the last few years, it's to never estimate Dave Maggard. There is a method to his madness. One way or another, he will bring a new coaching staff to continue the job that Art Briles started, although hopefully with less penalties, special teams miscues, or losses to ULaLa.

Oh yeah...Jack Pardee...the man responsible for the notorious Oilers loss up in Buffalo.

GAG!!!!

• The title was changed to University Of Houston Looking At Jack Pardee

Archived