Help Locating Neighborhoods With Christmas Lights

soifan

Hello everyone! I'm hoping you can help me out. I remember about 10-15 years ago traveling to northwest Houston to see a spectacular display of lights in a subdivision called Prestonwood or Prestonwood Forest (something like that). My son is three and REALLY is into Christmas lights this year. I was wondering if this subdivision still has a great display like they did in years past. I remember that the streets would be themed and such. Do you know what I'm talking about? If so, can you tell me if they still do it? If not, when did this end? Also, any others areas that are great (w/o driving to the College Station lights)? I live in the Katy area. Thanks in advance for your help!

Hello everyone! I'm hoping you can help me out. I remember about 10-15 years ago traveling to northwest Houston to see a spectacular display of lights in a subdivision called Prestonwood or Prestonwood Forest (something like that). My son is three and REALLY is into Christmas lights this year. I was wondering if this subdivision still has a great display like they did in years past. I remember that the streets would be themed and such. Do you know what I'm talking about? If so, can you tell me if they still do it? If not, when did this end? Also, any others areas that are great (w/o driving to the College Station lights)? I live in the Katy area. Thanks in advance for your help!

I know where you are talking about I just don't remember how to get there. River Oaks has some pretty good stuff also.

Wow! Thanks so much fo that info! I will be figuring it out on a map and we will go this weekend! Thanks again all - I knew you guys would know.

Soifan, make sure you wave at me as you drive by, I'm gonna be out there also. :D

I would do this Soifan, use HAR, and pull up Prestonwood Forest or just the Prestonwood subdivision, and then look at the listings Maps, BOOM ! I am fixin' to go try it myself in just a sec.

Ok, I am looking at this map of Prestonwood, and I just don't know soifan, I am a little leary. I seem to recall the subdivisions ,I am talking about, being much closer to W43rd for some reason.

Okay, I just looked at a map and know the general area, but can anyone tell me where the main entrance is located (what street?). Thanks again. Last time I went I was with a big group and didn't drive - 12 years ago or so.

Soifan, make sure you wave at me as you drive by, I'm gonna be out there also. :D

We keep posting at the same time - lol. I guess Katy will be up there this weekend!

I didnt know about this neighborhood, but i do know about SunnySide in SE Houston. Street after street competes with each other. Each street has a different theme. Draws large crowds each year from all over the city. It was a favorite for us when our boys were younger :)

Scott street is the main street through the area.

The residents also stand outside and hand out candy canes to the passing crowds ;);)

When we go, there's always a bunch of haywagons there also. We've done that a couple of times in the past and had a blast! You really enjoy it more that way rather than looking out the windshield or side window. One note though, trying to serve hot chocolate on a haywagon is always a mistake! HA! :lol:

Ok, I am looking at this map of Prestonwood, and I just don't know soifan, I am a little leary. I seem to recall the subdivisions ,I am talking about, being much closer to W43rd for some reason.

TJones... you are talking about Shepard Park Plaza - Go down Ella Blvd., North of W. 43rd and take a right on any of the streets that go into the neighborhood. Lots of twist and turns. Some streets better than others...but still plenty of lights to see.

TJones... you are talking about Shepard Park Plaza - Go down Ella Blvd., North of W. 43rd and take a right on any of the streets that go into the neighborhood. Lots of twist and turns. Some streets better than others...but still plenty of lights to see.

I actually went through Shepherd Park Terrace this weekend. I was shocked to see that many houses didn't seem to be participating. It used to be fantastic.

I didnt know about this neighborhood, but i do know about SunnySide in SE Houston. Street after street competes with each other. Each street has a different theme. Draws large crowds each year from all over the city. It was a favorite for us when our boys were younger :)

Scott street is the main street through the area.

The residents also stand outside and hand out candy canes to the passing crowds ;);)

I wonder if you're confusing Sunnyside with Scott Terrace, on Scott Street between OST and Yellowstone. Scott Terrace is just a mile or two up Scott Street from Sunnyside. I don't ever drive through Sunnyside, so maybe they do have some good displays too.

Scott Terrace's lights are excellent...some streets much better than others. Many streets have "arches" of lights going over the road, all the way down the street.

I thought we needed to start a separate thread that lists where to go to see the impressive christmas light displays.

I got my inspiration from the Prestonwood Forest thread here:

http://www.houstonarchitecture.info/haif/i...st&p=133282

Someone mentioned Shepherd Park Plaza.

I know of a couple on the southeast side.

Green Tee Terrace in Pearland (west end of scarsdale)

Scott Terrace (south loop at scott)

Also Moody Gardens is supposed to have a great displays.

As well as Herman Park (which starts this friday)

Scott Terrace is a good one. I drove it last week and was impressed. The only thing missing was music. Try "Candy-Cane Lane" a.k.a. Floridina St. heading west from Scott.

Shepherd Plaza on the northside is another good one as well. I'm not sure which streets, but most are individual efforts. You'll see alot of "traditional" displays like Christmas trees in front windows, and nativity scenes.

Back in the day, when a house was sold in Prestonwood Forest, the Christmas decorations were left with the house. They have a contest and whoever has the best street wins. I haven't missed a year! Only problem is, the traffic. You can enter the subdivision on Schroeder Road which is the next street. It's a tradition for my family!

Scott Terrace is a good one. I drove it last week and was impressed. The only thing missing was music. Try "Candy-Cane Lane" a.k.a. Floridina St. heading west from Scott.

Shepherd Plaza on the northside is another good one as well. I'm not sure which streets, but most are individual efforts. You'll see alot of "traditional" displays like Christmas trees in front windows, and nativity scenes.

You'll also see a handful of non-traditional displays in Shepherd Park Plaza - there's one house that's had Santa astride a full-sized JetSki suspended from a tree in the front yard for the past few years. I think the same house also had Santa driving a functioning farm tractor as well at some point. It's definitely worth a trip, but the light displays are nowhere near as ubiquitous as they were 25 years ago - back then, practically every house in the neighborhood participated, with many streets having themed displays. Now you see a lot more houses that don't have any lights or displays at all, and the number of houses that do seems to dwindle a bit more with each passing year.

One thing about SPP that can be a bit confusing is that there are quite a few streets that don't traverse the neighborhood in an unbroken fashion due to cul-de-sacs; I found a neighborhood map online that may be useful to anyone planning to check out the lights there:

Shepherd Park Plaza map

Just got back with the family from over there. I would like to thank that community for doing such a wonderful job, giving everyone else the holiday spirit. If anyone here is feeling like a "Scrooge", go take a drive over to Prestonwood Forest, it should be able to crack even the heartiest of "Bah,Humbugs !" :wub:

Just got back with the family from over there. I would like to thank that community for doing such a wonderful job, giving everyone else the holiday spirit. If anyone here is feeling like a "Scrooge", go take a drive over to Prestonwood Forest, it should be able to crack even the heartiest of "Bah,Humbugs !" :wub:

He stood there on Christmas Eve, hating the Whos,

Staring down from his cave with a sour, Grinchy frown

At the warm lighted windows below in their town.

For he knew every Who down in Who-ville beneath

Was busy now, hanging a mistleoe wreath.

"And they're hanging their stockings!" he snarled with a sneer.

"Tomorrow is Christmas! It's practically here!"

Then he growled, with his grinch fingers nervously drumming,

"I MUST find a way to keep Christmas from coming!"

which entrance did you take into Prestonwood? How did you get there?

Ok M22, it is pretty easy, but what part of town are you coming from and I can give better directions.

Here, I'll just put this and hope it helps, Take Hwy.6 (aka 1960) to FM249 north, to Schroeder Dr. take a right, go down about a half mile and turn left onto any of the streets on your left. You will see the Xmas lights and the traffic in the neighborhood. Enjoy.

We went Saturday night too! It took us awhile to find the heart of the lights (entered in an area of PF where it was hit or miss), but I kept telling dh that there was a better area that I remembered where every street for blocks is covered and has a theme. We finally found it and spent another 1.5 hours in this section (off Prestonwood Forest Dr. between Schroeder and Cypresswood). I think TJones directions should get you there directly.

The lights and themed decorations were great! My son loved it all and we may make this a yearly tradition. There were many groups doing "Hayrides" through the subdivision, a Santa on a motorized bicycle, and even a lady playing carols outside her home on her sax. You could hear people yelling "Merry Christmas" everywhere. It was a joyful night!

I wonder if you're confusing Sunnyside with Scott Terrace, on Scott Street between OST and Yellowstone. Scott Terrace is just a mile or two up Scott Street from Sunnyside. I don't ever drive through Sunnyside, so maybe they do have some good displays too.

Scott Terrace's lights are excellent...some streets much better than others. Many streets have "arches" of lights going over the road, all the way down the street.

Yes i think you are correct. the arches they have over the streets are a nice touch! Also the themed streets as well--Candyland lane and Winter lane etc etc etc.

Hey, Soifan, we didn't go until last night, so sorry I missed ya. My 4 yr. old daughter was lovin' it. She started yellin' HHHHIIIIIIIIIIIII ! ! ! to everyone driving by, and then we told her to say Merry Christmas, and it just got comical, because it was sooooooo sweet, it gave me a toothache. The only thing missing was a little chill in the air, and it would have been perfect, i kept the A/C goin' with the windows down instead. Great time. I am gonna go check out the other place off of Ella, that I was told about, I think that is the neighborhood I am thinking of. Prestonwood is excellent though. No complaints.

Archived