Is Zune any good?

I wouldn't really compare the Zune with the Nano -- they're kind of in different classes. The Zune has almost three times the storage space because it's almost ten times bigger than the Nano. One is about the size of two packs of cigarettes. The other is the size of two packs of matches.

Also, the reason you're seeing such low prices in the paper is because that's the OLD Zune. The retailers are clearing out their stock before the new version arrives on November 13th.

I'll admit, I am a 'Mac'bro, but I saw the Zunes and they aren't half bad. They have a lot of features, but the drawback is the size and the design. They just can't compete with iPods.

But I like the fact that they play movies (but so do the new iPods) and they have other gadgety features.

I have never used the Zune/Microsoft music service, but I love iTunes Music Store and they'd have to do a really good job to compete with that.

I bought the zune when it came out. I love it because on sundays i'll be at the barber shop waiting for my haircut i listen to the radio on my zune.Texans's game. I also use it at work to listen to the radio. I dont believe the ipod has fm radio. I might be wrong. As for the music service i do think itunes is better but in november zune music service will have major changes.

Oh, that's right. I remember hearing about the new Zunes coming out.

Hmm, storage or size. I do like small because it's easier handle while working out. On the other hand, that's a really good deal even if it is the older model.

If you're using it while working out, go with the chip-based one, not the hard drive based one. It will probably last longer since there are no moving parts. All of the small iPods and the iPod Touch are chip-based. And the smaller new Zunes will be chip-based, too.

Don't worry too much about capacity. 4GB or 8GB is really a LOT of music. It's once you start loading it up with videos that space becomes a concern. If you want to remain chip-based, the iPod touch is 16GB. And if capacity really is important, the iPod Classic is 160GB.

Here's a summary:

Chip based players

iPod Shuffle - 1GB (240 songs) $79

iPod Nano - 4GB (1,000 songs) $149

Zune - 4GB (1,000 songs) $149

iPod Nano - 8 GB (2,000 songs) $199

Zune - 8GB (2,000 songs) $199

iPod Touch - 8GB (1,750 songs) $299

iPod Touch - 16GB (3,500 songs) $399

Disk based players

Zune (old) - 30GB

iPod Classic - 80GB (20,000 songs) $249

Zune (new) - 80GB (20,000 songs) $249

iPod Classic - 160 GB (40,000 songs) $349

Thanks for the information.

I kind of got excited when I found out a while back that the new Nano would include video, but I wonder whether or not I'd get much use out of it. But if I don't get video, I might wish I had.

I've had an iriver flash player for a couple of years now and I've been wanting to upgrade, but then I keep thinking how much I love my little iriver. It's tiny, lightweight and has never given me any real problems. I really have no use for a new one right now, I just want one.

Thanks for the information.

I kind of got excited when I found out a while back that the new Nano would include video, but I wonder whether or not I'd get much use out of it. But if I don't get video, I might wish I had.

I've had an iriver flash player for a couple of years now and I've been wanting to upgrade, but then I keep thinking how much I love my little iriver. It's tiny, lightweight and has never given me any real problems. I really have no use for a new one right now, I just want one.

If you're not sure you want video, you might as well go with a shuffle. Can't beat the price or the durability. And it's so light that if it slips off your clothing, it doesn't even unplug from the headphone jack!

As far as I'm concerned, the nano with video is the best deal of the bunch. It's really tough, works very well, has a bunch of extra little features that are nice (calendar, address book sync, and world clock are great for when I'm traveling in places where it's not safe to bring a whole computer).

I don't have the new nano, but I have one of the last generation, and one of the first generation and they only get better over time.

Of course, you could be the lucky person who posts the magic message on HAIF and wins the free HAIF nano. I checked the FedEx shipping tracker this morning and it's in Indianapolis, so it should be delivered to HAIF Headquarters tomorrow. I'll post a picture of what it looks like with the engraving in the next couple of days.

I don't like the shuffle. It doesn't have an LCD screen and that's must have for me. I bought an Ipod shuffle once and returned it the next day. The player I have now is like the equivalent to the Ipod shuffle except it has a screen.

Like I said, the one I have now I just love, but was looking for a bit of an upgrade. Something newer with more storage. I'll probably end up going with the new Ipod Nano with video or I might check out the new Zune. There are so many to choose from now and a lot of the prices are great.

memebag, wow, that is little. It's cute. Looks too small for video.

Can't listening to a ball game while getting a haircut be dangerous?

Anyway, do any of them have a.m. radios?

The zune does not have am radio.

By the way i only listen to it while i'm waiting but i have seen people use their zune, ipods or other players while getting their haircut. I'll agree with you it's dangerous.

I was looking at the ads in the paper and noticed you can get a Zune with almost three times the amount of space as one of the new Ipod Nanos for the same price. I've looked at the Zune before, but I really don't know a lot about it. Any first hand experience?
Flash memory is WAY faster and more reliable than HDD memory.That and the nano is much small.er
Here's a summary:Chip based playersiPod Shuffle - 1GB (240 songs) $79iPod Nano - 4GB (1,000 songs) $149Zune - 4GB (1,000 songs) $149iPod Nano - 8 GB (2,000 songs) $199Zune - 8GB (2,000 songs) $199iPod Touch - 8GB (1,750 songs) $299iPod Touch - 16GB (3,500 songs) $399Disk based playersZune (old) - 30GB iPod Classic - 80GB (20,000 songs) $249Zune (new) - 80GB (20,000 songs) $249iPod Classic - 160 GB (40,000 songs) $349
I love my iPod Touch!I ended up with the $299 one, which I filled up with around 1300 songs.
If you're not sure you want video, you might as well go with a shuffle. Can't beat the price or the durability. And it's so light that if it slips off your clothing, it doesn't even unplug from the headphone jack!As far as I'm concerned, the nano with video is the best deal of the bunch. It's really tough, works very well, has a bunch of extra little features that are nice (calendar, address book sync, and world clock are great for when I'm traveling in places where it's not safe to bring a whole computer). I don't have the new nano, but I have one of the last generation, and one of the first generation and they only get better over time.Of course, you could be the lucky person who posts the magic message on HAIF and wins the free HAIF nano. I checked the FedEx shipping tracker this morning and it's in Indianapolis, so it should be delivered to HAIF Headquarters tomorrow. I'll post a picture of what it looks like with the engraving in the next couple of days.
Get the nano anyways, you may find out you want to use it for that later.If you still want to lean towards the shuffle, you can get the bare bones ZEN stone for $69 for a 2 GB with a tiny OLED screen, or pay $39 for the screenless 1 GB version, half off the shuffle price with the same basic form factor.

If money is your primary concern, today's Woot deal of the day is an old brown 30GB refurbished Zune for $79.

http://www.woot.com/

Probably the same machine you've been seeing in the papers. Remember, these are REFURBS (the one in the paper, likely, too). That bothers some people. Others... not so much.

Also, if your interested in AM radio, know that NONE of the players have AM radio. Because of the nature of the radio waves that AM uses, an AM antenna is large, compared to something like an iPod. Also I suspect that the electronics in an iPod/Zune would interfere with AM reception, but I can't prove that.

I've never understood why people want radios in their iPods, anyway. A lot of the knock-offs I pick up in China have it. But if radio was so great, I wouldn't need the iPod in the first place. Between iTunes and internet radio and satellite radio I haven't listened to FM in close to five years. I was in Subway the other day and the workers had the radio on. It was exactly as I remembered it. Same songs, even. Sad.

Anyway, the FedEx guy dropped off the HAIF Nano this morning. It's seriously cool. I know I recommended the Nano before, but now that I've closely examined one I can double that recommendation. I'll post pictures of it in this thread.

But none have a.m. radios, do they?

I'm probably not going to spend more than $200. I don't need anything ultra fancy. Primarily for music, but I'm kind of starting to lean towards video, though I don't need it, mainly just because it's there and so many of them have the video now. Then there's the size issue again. And that's why I haven't upgraded sooner.

I'm probably not going to spend more than $200. I don't need anything ultra fancy. Primarily for music, but I'm kind of starting to lean towards video, though I don't need it, mainly just because it's there and so many of them have the video now. Then there's the size issue again. And that's why I haven't upgraded sooner.

No AM. Not gonna happen.

Check out the new Creative Zen too...looks like it has a nice sized screen for video.

http://www.creative.com/products/mp3/zen/

Check out the new Creative Zen too...looks like it has a nice sized screen for video.

http://www.creative.com/products/mp3/zen/

One of my bosses recently got one of these. He ended up returning it. It's more than twice the size of the Nano for the same battery life and doesn't have the polish or build quality of the Nano. However, it is $20 cheaper than either the iPod or the Zune.

But instead of getting the Nano, after the return he got an 80 gig Archos player, which is very interesting mostly because it has a built-in DVR. It's a brick, but kind of cool that it can record TV shows on its own (off-air analog only, not cable or satellite or HDTV). Too bad its slow and the interface blows. But the TV recording feature got my attention.

• 4 weeks later...

I decided on the 8 GB Ipod Nano and just ask for it for Christmas. I went ahead and downloaded Itunes to familarize myself with it again, because I used to use Itunes years ago for downloading and burning CD's. But then I realized that I can't put my already existing WMA files in my Itunes library because ipod does not support WMA without having to convert them and I don't even want to have to mess with that.

Zune, if I'm understanding, supports both WMA and MP3, right? So do you think it would be best for me to go with something like the Zune since the player I currently have supports both WMA and MP3 and that's what I'm used to?

With Zune is there any kind of installation required or is it like Ipod where you just plug in and sync?

Does the Zune marketplace (I think that's what it's called) have a broad selection to chose from?

Also, where do you get the videos for your Zune?

Thanks.

I decided on the 8 GB Ipod Nano and just ask for it for Christmas. I went ahead and downloaded Itunes to familarize myself with it again, because I used to use Itunes years ago for downloading and burning CD's. But then I realized that I can't put my already existing WMA files in my Itunes library because ipod does not support WMA without having to convert them and I don't even want to have to mess with that.

Zune, if I'm understanding, supports both WMA and MP3, right? So do you think it would be best for me to go with something like the Zune since the player I currently have supports both WMA and MP3 and that's what I'm used to?

With Zune is there any kind of installation required or is it like Ipod where you just plug in and sync?

Does the Zune marketplace (I think that's what it's called) have a broad selection to chose from?

Also, where do you get the videos for your Zune?

Thanks.

From my son,

Yes, the zune software will automatically convert the songs you have in itunes or windows media player, along with any other mp3 or WMAs you have.

To set up the zune software you need to download it from zune.net. Once you've done that you can name your zune, but the whole process is pretty straight forward.

As far as i know, the zune marketplace has anything itunes or napster would have, but if you can't find a song on zune marketplace, you can still buy the song on itunes and put it on your zune.

Zune marketplace just added music videos, but i'm pretty sure (but not positive) that any movie you buy on itunes can go on your zune. In addition, you can download videos from Google Video onto your zune or ipod.

Hope I helped you understand more about your questions

Thanks for replying.

I downloaded Zune just to take a look at it and it already took all my music files and put them into my Zune library, though I haven't registered for anything yet. It also put all my photos on Zune which I really don't want right now. I don't want all the photos on my computer going onto my player everytime I connect. That's what will happen if I don't set it for manual sync, isn't it?

What's frustrating is that when you search the store to see if they have what you're looking for and it comes up, but it says that it isn't available next to it. What's the point of them listing something in their store, but not making it available to buy?

So, I have Itunes, Walmart Downloads and Zune all on my computer right now. If I choose to go with Zune, I can download from any one of those services and it will all go into my Zune library? Simple as that? Plug and sync?

About the videos, I was thinking more along the lines of TV shows and movies like Itunes has. I'm not certain I'd even use them, but if I want, they're only available on Itunes, aren't they? Then again, if they are only available on Itunes I can still download them and they too would go into my Zune library, is that right?

No, most music purchased through itunes will not transfer to the zune. unless it says "itunes plus" next to the song, it has DRM and only the ipod can play it. same thing with zune. music purchased at the zune store will not transfer to anything other than a zune. if you want music that is playable on both ipod and zune, i would recommend amazon.com's mp3 service. it's not as easy as itunes, but it does not have drm.

Thanks for replying. I downloaded Zune just to take a look at it and it already took all my music files and put them into my Zune library, though I haven't registered for anything yet. It also put all my photos on Zune which I really don't want right now. I don't want all the photos on my computer going onto my player everytime I connect. That's what will happen if I don't set it for manual sync, isn't it? What's frustrating is that when you search the store to see if they have what you're looking for and it comes up, but it says that it isn't available next to it. What's the point of them listing something in their store, but not making it available to buy? So, I have Itunes, Walmart Downloads and Zune all on my computer right now. If I choose to go with Zune, I can download from any one of those services and it will all go into my Zune library? Simple as that? Plug and sync? About the videos, I was thinking more along the lines of TV shows and movies like Itunes has. I'm not certain I'd even use them, but if I want, they're only available on Itunes, aren't they? Then again, if they are only available on Itunes I can still download them and they too would go into my Zune library, is that right?

Oh ok. Now I see that all those files that went into Zune were from uploaded CD's, not downloads. So if Zune plays WMA why isn't it letting me put my WMA files in there?

How hard is it to convert WMA files to MP3?

This is making me angry. Kind of makes me want to just forget it all and stick with my old one.

wow so many questions. burning the ripping your wmas would not be a good idea. you will lose sound quality.

honestly i think the zune is too complicated for your use. just bite the bullet and go with the ipod. it will convert your wmas to acc which any player will use, ipod zune, sansa etc. that way you wont run into this problem in the future should you decide to go with a different player.

How will the ipod convert my WMA's? I downloaded itunes and all it did was put my CD's into my itunes library, but not my downloads. It's never that easy. Don't I have to convert them using some sort of program?

Gosh, I think I'm going to get an easy answer and it just gets more complicated.

I thought about going with another iriver, which is what I currently have and it's a great player. There would be no transition if I did that. The only thing is not much is available for the iriver. You can get anything for ipod. And for my iriver I'm currently using Walmart Downloads, which isn't bad, it's even cheaper than itunes, but there are times when I can't even find the simplest things. About 40% of the time it's a miss. Last night I was searching for a certain Brahms waltz, a well know piece, and they didn't have it. Then I went to itunes and they had it, but I can't put it on my current player. I feel like itunes is taunting me.

If I can just get those stupid WMA's converted to where I can use them on ipod (without a huge fuss), I will go with the ipod.

Archived