Home At 230 Blalock Rd.

Jersey01

VicMan, what is the point of always listing the schools? lol You do that in every thread with a HAR link.

The house is beautiful but the owners have ruined the interior with that semi-french country/provencial/smooshed together style.

If someone bought it and restored it to a true mod interior, it would be awesome. I LOVE the study and the game room, though they both need some de-rich-old-man-ifying.

If I had the money, I'd jump on this one. Horrible property taxes though.

VicMan, what is the point of always listing the schools? lol You do that in every thread with a HAR link.

The HAR link does not specify exactly what schools are zoned to the residence...

"District: SPRING BRANCH

Elem Sch: SBISD

Middle Sch: SBISD

High Sch: SBISD"

It only specifies the school district :)

Don't see the value in listing the schools, etc. We're discussing these houses more from an architectural standpoint...

But people buy the houses for reasons besides architecture. That doesn't mean we should not focus on architecture, but we also discuss issues such as "Is the neighborhood safe?", etc.

Don't see the value in listing the schools, etc. We're discussing these houses more from an architectural standpoint...

Though I don't care so much about the schools, from a search engine standpoint, this is another piece of info that someone outside HAIF might find interesting. For better or worse, we stopped focusing exclusively on architecture a long time ago, LOL.

Besides, everyone on here has their role at HAIF. There are the preservationists, anti-zoners, rail lovers, real estate insiders, etc. Vic happens to be the school zoning guy :).

the school listings could be helpful since the house is on the market, and the linked information is lacking specificity. oftentimes it could be a selling point (or not) for the house.

as for the house, quite interesting - though i don't dig the fireplaces.

Though I don't care so much about the schools, from a search engine standpoint, this is another piece of info that someone outside HAIF might find interesting. For better or worse, we stopped focusing exclusively on architecture a long time ago, LOL.

Besides, everyone on here has their role at HAIF. There are the preservationists, anti-zoners, rail lovers, real estate insiders, etc. Vic happens to be the school zoning guy :).

Good point, though, guiltily, I've also always wondered why the school zones are always posted. But I just chuckle and move on.

The school zoning doesn't help me, but may help someone else.

Edited by Jersey01

Interesting house. The school info is very helpful as well. Why shun a helpful bit of info that is relevant?

If you don't like a posting, you could start your own forum and make rules that no one can post anything other than

architecture. In all seriousness, could it ruin our architectural discussions that much? :wacko:

Edited by EatSleepMOD

Are you SERIOUS?????

Yes. They claimed there wasn't anything to rent for a good price for the town hall and night court. So they bought a mega-million dollar mansion in residental Piney Point. They did it under and alias so "they could get a fair market price." Apparently if it was the City of Piney Point buying it, they would have to pay more...not to mention shooting lots of red flags up in the air, revealing their business practices. I think they felt was much more cost efficent to have a big swimming pool for parties in the back and a glamourous office/suite for the social climbing mayor. It was a big deal around here.

The residents banned together and found them a place to rent right down the street. It didn't take them the "monthes and monthes of searching to no avail," like it did the "powers that be."

this house was put on the last updates on the Houston Mod website, "available mod properties" list. There were a couple of interesting ones that popped up this last go around.

I noticed the Flatow, Moore... house on South Macgregor in Riverside Terrace is for sale. Hopefully they won't tear that one down. It's in the Architecture guide.

I noticed the Flatow, Moore... house on South Macgregor in Riverside Terrace is for sale. Hopefully they won't tear that one down. It's in the Architecture guide.

Is that the one on "the list" on Houston Mod? On the bayou-side of Macgregor? It backs up to a small apartment complex, which is what makes that one a tough sell.

I am still sick over the one they tore down on Roseneath right around the corner.

yep - unfortunately, the HAR description isn't very hopeful :

"Property being sold as-is. Priced to sell fast. Located in Riverside Terrace close to The Texas Medical Center, minutes from Midtown and Downtown destinations."

http://search.har.com/engine/dispSearch.cf...mp;backButton=Y

the guide reads:

"Albuquerque architect Max Flatow designed this house for his brother's family. The cantilevered entrance canopy and the panelled walls exude the optimistic spirit of '50s modernism."

hr1965579-2.jpg

Unfortunately, the previous listing, at $270,000, specifically stated that it was priced at lot value only.
No interior pics =(
From two listings ago, in 2005:hr1483888-2.jpghr1483888-3.jpghr1483888-4.jpghr1483888-5.jpghr1483888-6.jpg
This is the first non-foreclosure, non-auction listing I have seen where there has been a sealed bid process. Experts out there, does it really bring a higher price or is it a gimmick to bring interest to a property? Are they required to take the highest bid?
I think it's sealed bid because the city owns it. I think they have to sell it that way to ensure that everything is fair and legitimate. Otherwise an insider might get a real sweet deal on it.

• 4 weeks later...

I sent an email to the broker two days ago asking about the general condition of the house, told him I might be interested in keeping the house. Got no reply yet.

• The title was changed to Home At 230 Blalock Rd.