So Original It Hurts!

jm1fd

http://search.har.com/engine/dispSearch.cf...mp;backButton=Y

Look at that kitchen sink, and the light fixture in the living room! Not to mention the bathroom....

Ah, but it's a small house smack dab between Wayside and SSG Marcario Garcia Dr., and not on a commercial cross-street! It gets all of the traffic noise and smells, and plenty of pedestrians (bad thing in this case) but none of the benefit from traffic count...and the lot is about $15psf but not contiguous with something commercial that it can be merged into in the future. ...meanwhile, I can tie up $7 dirt on a commercial thoroughfare with better potentials further west.

Very cute. No deal.

Ah, but it's a small house smack dab between Wayside and SSG Marcario Garcia Dr., and not on a commercial cross-street! It gets all of the traffic noise and smells, and plenty of pedestrians (bad thing in this case) but none of the benefit from traffic count...and the lot is about $15psf but not contiguous with something commercial that it can be merged into in the future. ...meanwhile, I can tie up $7 dirt on a commercial thoroughfare with better potentials further west.

Very cute. No deal.

LOL Wasn't trying to sell it. I was just rather amazed that it managed to retain most of the original fixtures after 80 some odd years.

LOL Wasn't trying to sell it. I was just rather amazed that it managed to retain most of the original fixtures after 80 some odd years.

Don't worry jm1fd, if you like all those old fixtures just check the house on the first heavy trash day after it sells. I am sure it will probably all be sitting out on the curb.

Don't worry jm1fd, if you like all those old fixtures just check the house on the first heavy trash day after it sells. I am sure it will probably all be sitting out on the curb.

We've both become jaded, but I'm sure you'll be proven correct. I see a pressboard countertop and vanity and ceramic tile on the wood floors in the near future <_< . Gentrifiers haven't touched that area yet as far as I know so the odds of getting a preservationist in there are low. Cute house though. That looks like it could be a Hoosier kitchen cabinet possibly from way back. Perhaps a very old woman lived there and never saw a reason to "update".

We've both become jaded, but I'm sure you'll be proven correct. I see a pressboard countertop and vanity and ceramic tile on the wood floors in the near future <_< . Gentrifiers haven't touched that area yet as far as I know so the odds of getting a preservationist in there are low. Cute house though. That looks like it could be a Hoosier kitchen cabinet possibly from way back. Perhaps a very old woman lived there and never saw a reason to "update".

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Many people that are into renovations and authenticity of home interiors (like me) would kill to find such a treasure!

My 1940 kitchen was all original as if "I Love Lucy" was filmed there. We loved it! Just some serious cleaning and polishing and it was like new. We show off most of what we still have thats original to the house.

One of the best finds I came across was an old Victorian in Galveston. Yep the lady was almost 100 years old and hardly had any remodeling done. The realtor told me her 1920's Steinway piano was still in the hallway and the original dining room set, guilded light fixtures, etc. Of course the furniture was almost unsalvageable but it was a treasure find for us!

So you see its all in the way you see it. Gotta worship:

http://www.oldhousejournal.com/

http://www.oldhouseinteriors.com/

Just can't get enougfh of it! and you should see what prices are going for some of the originals at salvage yards! Unreal. Think twice before you dump! :P

Oh I know. And its all over. Not just the east end, and not just bungalows. If people ripped out interesting old stuff to put in really nice updates, it wouldn't be such an issue. But I see too many houses where they rip out wonderful old stuff to put in crap. Neat old light fixtures go in favor of the cheap "boob" lights, take the solid wood interior doors w/glass knobs out and replace them with cheap hollow core doors with bright shiny brass handles. Slather .99 cent tile all over the place, (the super shiny finish all the better, and of course different patterns of tile in different rooms that meet in a mis-matched seam at the doorways), the glass front cabinets come out so the cheapest press board mess can go up in place of them, often times not fitting in the space well and leaving odd "gaps" where cabinets don't fill the void left by the original cabinetry.

There is a new one in Eastwood, for example, that looks like someone ripped all the old house charm out of it and will expect to get the same price as the properly restored ones in there. I am betting they don't.

Think about this rps, this wonderful little house goes for about $350k in the L.A. area, and in the Chicago area something similar, would go for $250k. $85k is a steal, even considering the area. Seems like the house next to it is also well kept.

Archived