Driveway Security Gates

Does anyone have any recomendations for companies that install custom driveway gates? I need to get some estimates.

Thanks!

Houston Fence for quality and reliability. I'm sure there are others-just no one I trust. We've used them seven times and seven times we've been satisfied. Call them: 281.499.2516

Thanks, I'll contact both companies. Did you use a solar powered or electric gate opener?

I have never had luck with solar on gates or mosquito systems. The sun moves around, or too many overcast days, and the back-up battery is tapped. Just have a GFI run to the gate area and power it up.

Thanks, I'll contact both companies. Did you use a solar powered or electric gate opener?

I would steer clear of solar...too unreliable for regular use.

Oh, and a word of advice: My experience has been that having the gate arm mounted in the (vertical) center of the gate will dramatically increase gate life. My first gate had the mount at the bottom (so it was less visible) and the torque from the motor opening and closing slowly warped the gate. When in the middle it will distribute the force more evenly.

You might also check out Angie's List for recommendations.

Do most of these security gates have the wheels or rollers on the bottom?

additionally, Is it possible that some of these gates will sag over time? My elderly neighbor has one she had installed about 10 years ago and it seems so heavy that it has sunk in the ground. You know ground settlement in Houston.

Just a thought.

additionally, Is it possible that some of these gates will sag over time? My elderly neighbor has one she had installed about 10 years ago and it seems so heavy that it has sunk in the ground. You know ground settlement in Houston.

You can get a sliding gate that has rollers on the bottom but I don't have the room for that. With a swing type gate I would think the post holding the gate up would need to be cemented fairly deep into the soil to prevent sag and movement over time, cheaper installers probably take shortcuts here which leads to the problems you described.

One last question, this is my first house and I have no idea how much these automated gates cost. My driveway is 11ft wide, anyone have a ballpark range of how much this is going to set me back?

Just a thought.

After about 10 years you do have to have the main "poles" reset. It doesn't cost that much. Yes, the gates start to sag and eventually they do drag. But your gate company will come out and dig out the supports, repour the concrete, reset the supports and rehang the gate. Good as new. Also, I recommend spot spraying the gate with rustoleum annually and during a drought, water the support poles...yes it sound crazy but it works.

Rollers are an option, but usually the driveway has settled or buckled and the strain on the gate is worse than the sag trying to roll over that. Also, they are ugly.

I would recommend "Big John" with Aztec Casting on North Main.

When gates sag over time it is generally because the post holding the gate is not strong enough. Whereas the standard steel/"iron" fence posts are 2-3", you really need a 4" square post to support the weight of the gate over time. Well worth the extra $50 bucks on install, versus later having to have everything "reset". Less than reputable installers will try to cut corners by just welding the hinges to a pre-fab piece of fence, rather than welding in a stronger post.

Have learned this lesson this hard way.

You can get a sliding gate that has rollers on the bottom but I don't have the room for that. With a swing type gate I would think the post holding the gate up would need to be cemented fairly deep into the soil to prevent sag and movement over time, cheaper installers probably take shortcuts here which leads to the problems you described.

One last question, this is my first house and I have no idea how much these automated gates cost. My driveway is 11ft wide, anyone have a ballpark range of how much this is going to set me back?

My quotes for a 12 foot gate and opener ran $2400 to $2800. I used Buck Wilke at Southland Fence. 281-355-0707. He is good people, as they say. Never had a single problem with the gate.

I would recommend "Big John" with Aztec Casting on North Main.When gates sag over time it is generally because the post holding the gate is not strong enough. Whereas the standard steel/"iron" fence posts are 2-3", you really need a 4" square post to support the weight of the gate over time. Well worth the extra $50 bucks on install, versus later having to have everything "reset". Less than reputable installers will try to cut corners by just welding the hinges to a pre-fab piece of fence, rather than welding in a stronger post.Have learned this lesson this hard way.
we have always bought the heavy duty post, but its the nature of the Houston Gumbo that you will have to rest after 10 years or so.
My quotes for a 12 foot gate and opener ran $2400 to $2800. I used Buck Wilke at Southland Fence. 281-355-0707. He is good people, as they say. Never had a single problem with the gate.
Red, that's a great price for including the motor? I'm paying 3200 for a custom, 13 1/2 foot fence with the wall mounted PAtriot motor and backup battery with Atlas.

Archived