Our Lady Of Guadalupe Church At 2405 Navigation Blvd.

Vertigo58

Our Lady Of Guadalupe church has been around for a very long time. I am not certain of year built maybe 1920's but it has been a staple of that area for decades. The school is still in operation. The cemetary that is adjacent is reserved for clergy and sisters as best I know. This is cemetary is real old people. Take a peek inside and some date way back. The statues and saints are relics. Located at corner of Navigation and Jensen Drive.

It amazes me that the church still marches on despite low attendance (everyone fled for burbs) but is making a comeback.

3467384-Churches_Chapels_Temples-Houston.jpg

Edited by Vertigo58
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
3467384-Churches_Chapels_Temples-Houston.jpg

This historic church had its annual Fall Bazaar yesterday. It was trip back in time. The place was packed solid and the weather was perfect! Plenty of food and LIVE music and dancing in the parking area next to the school.

This is the time of year all Churches of all deniominations have festival's and bazaar's, check listing's.

Try to take time to attend one of these functions and see how great they are. These are the kinds of events that hark back to the good old days of wholesome, clean fun. :)

• 2 months later...

I went to this church on Jan. 9,2009. I needed to take photos of the St. Vincent Cemetery. The church was built in 1923. Got permission from FATHER RICK to go into the cemetery which is behind a locked gate. Sorry to say but the cemetery is not in great shape. I took photos in 1985 and it looked better back then. Loose stones are in their wrong spots. Turned over gravestones. Missing linch gates. Some gravestones grouped together and cemented on a concrete base. Benches and shade covers built over graves. Trash on grounds, tree limbs piled on top of graves.

They need to take better care of this cemetery!!!!!

Thanks

George E. Wolf Jr.

Cemeteries of Harris Co.,Texas

www.freewebs.com/boneyardwolf

:doh::angry::doh:

• Like 1

I went to this church on Jan. 9,2009. I needed to take photos of the St. Vincent Cemetery. The church was built in 1923. Got permission from FATHER RICK to go into the cemetery which is behind a locked gate. Sorry to say but the cemetery is not in great shape. I took photos in 1985 and it looked better back then. Loose stones are in their wrong spots. Turned over gravestones. Missing linch gates. Some gravestones grouped together and cemented on a concrete base. Benches and shade covers built over graves. Trash on grounds, tree limbs piled on top of graves.

They need to take better care of this cemetery!!!!!

Thanks

George E. Wolf Jr.

www.freewebs.com/boneyardwolf

I agree wholeheartedly.

In that last bazaar event, people were sitting and eating on top of markers and graves, truly appalling. Majority of parishoners are low income and either dont care to invest in time to clean or lack $$$ like most in the city. Regardless, the clergy and grounds keepers have dropped the ball in a most horrific way. Oy vey & Santo cielo! -_-

Edited by Vertigo58
  • Like 1

I agree wholeheartedly.

In that last bazaar event, people were sitting and eating on top of markers and graves, truly appalling. Majority of parishoners are low income and either dont care to invest in time to clean or lack $$$ like most in the city. Regardless, the clergy and grounds keepers have dropped the ball in a most horrific way. Oy vey & Santo cielo! -_-

My friend was considering placing his child at this school.

I agree wholeheartedly.

In that last bazaar event, people were sitting and eating on top of markers and graves, truly appalling. Majority of parishoners are low income and either dont care to invest in time to clean or lack $$ like most in the city. Regardless, the clergy and grounds keepers have dropped the ball in a most horrific way. Oy vey & Santo cielo! -_-

depending on the race of the people sitting on those graves it would either be appalling or no big deal at all.....one large culture now in Texas sees nothing wrong at all with sitting on graves, stones, or markers because they view their dead and their observance of the dead in a much different fashion than many others do

so while you might have seen it as disrespect to the graves or the dead they saw it as common ordinary behavior based on what they do as celebration in their own country and in no way viewed it as or intended it as disrespect to the graves or the dead in them

Edited by TexasVines

depending on the race of the people sitting on those graves it would either be appalling or no big deal at all.....one large culture now in Texas sees nothing wrong at all with sitting on graves, stones, or markers because they view their dead and their observance of the dead in a much different fashion than many others do

so while you might have seen it as disrespect to the graves or the dead they saw it as common ordinary behavior based on what they do as celebration in their own country and in no way viewed it as or intended it as disrespect to the graves or the dead in them

I am just saying they should take care of this cemetery. I don't care if they crawl all over the graves which we do not do in our country. It is in a locked gate and protected from the outside but is slowly being destroyed from the inside. Many buried here were Irish. I don't care where you are from, it still is disrepectful.......... :doh::angry::doh:

• Like 1

I was shocked and think the adults in charge should not let kids run wild there.

Ditto! and sadly some of the parents are just as ignorant. Kids copy what they see at home. I was told by very long time patrons that alcohol was never even allowed in the past during bazaars. I recall the port o cans were even on top of graves. No use in arguing with some of the negative ones on Haif though. That section must be cordoned off somehow. -_-

My great-great grandparents are buried in St. Vincent's Cemetery. I don't think I like the idea of the plot being used for a bazaar!

According to this article, there was an effort in the 1960's to clean up the cemetary. "Families of those buried here had an association once but the survivors are so far away they can no longer keep it up."

Perhaps some of those "survivors" could show up & get to work! Or at least knock on the rectory door & see what's needed. When you've set something up, post a request for volunteers. My own folks aren't buried there, but I'd be glad to help.

Edited by MaggieMay

According to this article, there was an effort in the 1960's to clean up the cemetary. "Families of those buried here had an association once but the survivors are so far away they can no longer keep it up."

Perhaps some of those "survivors" could show up & get to work! Or at least knock on the rectory door & see what's needed. When you've set something up, post a request for volunteers. My own folks aren't buried there, but I'd be glad to help.

I always wanted to learn the whole history of the school as well as the church. I had an uncle that attended and graduated from the school back in the late 1940's and my big sis attended as a child in the late 1950's (pic at beginning of this topic). The mass was always in English/Latin and occasionally in Spanish as far as I know then or at least until the late 1960's then we started going to Annunciation down the street on Texas Ave.

It was always believed that the cemetary was strickly for clergy and sisters that devoted their lives to this specific house of worship?

I am almost certain not just anyone can be interred here. Another EE mystery! ^_^

I always wanted to learn the whole history of the school as well as the church. I had an uncle that attended and graduated from the school back in the late 1940's and my big sis attended as a child in the late 1950's (pic at beginning of this topic). The mass was always in English/Latin and occasionally in Spanish as far as I know then or at least until the late 1960's then we started going to Annunciation down the street on Texas Ave.

It was always believed that the cemetary was strickly for clergy and sisters that devoted their lives to this specific house of worship?

I am almost certain not just anyone can be interred here. Another EE mystery! ^_^

I think the cemetery predates the current church considerably. The article I linked above said the last burial was a Polish count--in 1927. So the priests & nuns who've served there are buried elsewhere. And none of the current parishioners can look forward to resting there.

The old Church of St. Vincent de Paul (Was located at Franklin Ave. and Caroline Street) first mass in 1842. The church purchased a tract of land for burial purposes from the Kennedy estate. Which became St. Vincent Cemetery. John Kennedy was murdered outside of the Kennedy Corner Building in 1878. He is buried in the St. Vincent Cemetery.

Mainly Irish-Catholic, the cemetery was founded in 1853. Early French and Italian settlers, veterans of San Jacinto, Confederate and Union soldiers. (Dick Dowling) hero of Sabine Pass-Civil War, was Irish is buried there. Many were buried here in 1867 during the yellow fever epidemic. The City of Houston condemned the cemetery in 1871. The cemetery was damaged in the 1900 and 1915 hurricanes. Our Lady of Guadalupe Church (1913) Present Church built 1923.

George E. Wolf Jr.

Edited by Cemeterywolf

The old Church of St. Vincent de Paul (Was located at Franklin Ave. and Caroline Street) first mass in 1842. The church purchased a tract of land for burial purposes from the Kennedy estate. Which became St. Vincent Cemetery. John Kennedy was murdered outside of the Kennedy Corner Building in 1878. He is buried in the St. Vincent Cemetery.

Mainly Irish-Catholic, the cemetery was founded in 1853. Early French and Italian settlers, veterans of San Jacinto, Confederate and Union soldiers. (Dick Dowling) hero of Sabine Pass-Civil War, was Irish is buried there. Many were buried here in 1867 during the yellow fever epidemic. The City of Houston condemned the cemetery in 1871. The cemetery was damaged in the 1900 and 1915 hurricanes. Our Lady of Guadalupe Church (1913) Present Church built 1923.

George E. Wolf Jr.

Wow! A real long time mystery solved!

Now here is another question what came first the Church or the school? Any dates on the adjacent school?

I recall us kids loving to run and play on the swings/slide in the far back corner under the big trees with tons of leaves everywhere. It has since been updated and moved up some if memory serves well. One thing that hasn't changed in ages is that really bland odor that permiates the air from the nearby bayou or factories? Mom said one of our uncles once lived in one of the small homes directly on the side street circa early 1940's. A miracle these houses are still there....for now anyway. -_-

Wow! A real long time mystery solved!

Now here is another question what came first the Church or the school? Any dates on the adjacent school?

I recall us kids loving to run and play on the swings/slide in the far back corner under the big trees with tons of leaves everywhere. It has since been updated and moved up some if memory serves well. One thing that hasn't changed in ages is that really bland odor that permiates the air from the nearby bayou or factories? Mom said one of our uncles once lived in one of the small homes directly on the side street circa early 1940's. A miracle these houses are still there....for now anyway. -_-

I copied the article below directly from the Lady of Guadalupe Church website and it gives a more detailed history of the church, school and cemetery. For clarification, Immaculate Conception Catholic Church off of Harrisburg Boulevard in the community of Magnolia Park founded Our Lady of Guadalupe as a mission.

On May 4, 1847 as the Lone Star Republic was about to become the State of Texas, the Diocese of Galveston was established and John Odin became our first Bishop. At that time the diocese covered the whole State. On December 29, 2004, Pope John Paul II created a second archdiocese in Texas, raising the Diocese of Galveston-Houston to the status of a Metropolitan Archdiocese. Bishop Fiorenza was named the first Archbishop of Galveston-Houston, and Bishop DiNardo the Coadjutor Archbishop.

Archbishop DiNardo became ordinary of the archdiocese upon Archbishop Fiorenza's retirement in 2006. Pope Benedict XVI elevated Abp. DiNardo to the position of Cardinal on Nov. 24, 2007. Two auxiliary bishops, Bishop Emeritus Vincent M. Rizzotto and Bishop Joe S. Vasquez currently assist Cardinal DiNardo. In 2008 there are now 15 dioceses in Texas.

Houston was founded in 1836 when the Allen Brothers landed on the banks of the Buffalo Bayou about a mile northwest of where Our Lady of Guadalupe parish is now. It was not until 1911 that a great influx of Mexicans began coming to Houston because of the unrest in Mexico. At that time it became apparent that the Sacraments needed to be administered in Spanish.

The Oblates of Mary Immaculate were sent to begin Our Lady of Guadalupe Church in 1912. Father Robert Chatillon celebrated the first Mass on August 18 in a two-story building erected that same year. The top floor was the church, and the bottom floor was the school. School opened for class on September 8, 1912. It is the oldest Catholic grade school in Houston. The Diocese has owned the property on which Our Lady of Guadalupe stands since about 1856. The first Catholic parish of Houston was St. Vincent, located a half mile away, across Franklin Street from the present county jail. St. Vincent

• The title was changed to Our Lady Of Guadalupe Church At 2405 Navigation Blvd.