Blu Ray vs. HD DVD battle coming to an end?

Guest Marty

Blu Ray vs. HD DVD  

31 members have voted

1. 1. Which techonology do you/will you support?

• Blu Ray
    • HD DVD

Nevermind, I found it under your name,

I think the search feature is limited to word greater than "3 Letters", because when you search for blu ray hd dvd

they are all 3 letters or less.

I even search for the word "car" and HAIF gives me zero results back. I know we have tons of threads with the word car in it.

I went ahead and submitted a request to merge the topics and retain the poll feature.

I hoped I was not going crazy, because I thought I had read something about that on here before, but I just thought it was deleted.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The difference seems to be mainly that Blu-Ray costs more but has more storage capacity. Can the formats co-exist, say one for games and another for videos?

I think most of the public really doesn't care, and if anything is tired of formats changing every few years. A lot of people have spent enough on DVDs not to want to make another change.

The difference seems to be mainly that Blu-Ray costs more but has more storage capacity. Can the formats co-exist, say one for games and another for videos?

I think most of the public really doesn't care, and if anything is tired of formats changing every few years. A lot of people have spent enough on DVDs not to want to make another change.

I too think DVD's are fine, but since Blu Ray players can play DVD's, I don't see an issue, I will eventually start buying Blu Ray movies, especially PIXAR movies.

• 4 weeks later...

I like that Blu-Ray holds more information, but I can't stand the name. I'd rather say HD-DVD versus Blu-Ray. Blue-Ray sounds so gimmicky versus HD-DVD, which sounds more like standard industry jargon.

I like that Blu-Ray holds more information, but I can't stand the name. I'd rather say HD-DVD versus Blu-Ray. Blue-Ray sounds so gimmicky versus HD-DVD, which sounds more like standard industry jargon.

HD DVD was a good choice, since it basically self defines itself.

Blu ray is so becuase that technology includes a blue diode that emmit a blue laser.

Since colors can't be copyrighted, they changed the spelling from Blue to Blu to copyright Blu ray, instead of the original Blue ray

• 4 weeks later...
Latest and greatest info from DVD Empire.

5xdg60n.jpg

Looks like we have a pattern forming.

Sounds like a clearance sale coming up this holiday for defunct HD DVD players.

Why are you trying to push BluRay on people. You are dealing in the court of misinformation. Do you own stock in Bluray or something. Personally myself and my father are the only people I know who are in the HD DVD game. We both own xbox 360's him for the grandkids and the ability to watch HD movies on disk via the HDDVD add on on his HD TV. Myself the same I game some but more often watch movies now days. and what better way to enjoy the 3 grand I dropped for a TV then spending an extra 180 bucks to get the drive for the Xbox 360 that plays hidef movies. Have I bought a lot of disks? No, because they are anywhere from 19.99 to 36.00 a pop. I think I own 4 or 5. My father has more disposable income and he owns maybe 15.

point is I know no one who has a PS3 or a standalone player for either format. this is not a knock on bluray as I only know 2 people including myself who have jumped into this new technology. Mostly because we already had most of the hardware. so it was another 180 dollars to get the player. I do know toshiba is selling 200 dollar standalone players now for hddvd.

Anyways I find it odd that you come in here every couple of weeks and pimp up your side of some percieved format war. there is a poll that suggest people who have read this thread support HDDVD more. Whats up with that does anyone on here own equipment? Movies?

Why are you trying to push BluRay on people. You are dealing in the court of misinformation. Do you own stock in Bluray or something. Anyways I find it odd that you come in here every couple of weeks and pimp up your side of some percieved format war. there is a poll that suggest people who have read this thread support HDDVD more. Whats up with that does anyone on here own equipment? Movies?

I am only updating the thread with facts.

The Official HD DVD website stopped promoting how well they were doing a while back, and only update with meaningless info that shows nothing about gaining new support.

And it seems, beyond the LG dual format player and the Xbox add on (which I still think is a joke of an excuse for a "too late to help the HD DVD camp" blunder, I am sorry), we have no other hardware manufacturers.

Sony has Panasonic, Pioneer, Samsung, Philips, and LG again supporting them.

Blu ray is constantly in the news regarding its growth.

Westguy76, I understand your bitterness towards the subject.

I too would feel cheated had I been an early adopter for the next Betamaxx (the irony huh!)

I do know Toshiba is selling 200 dollar standalone players now for hddvd.

Nothing retail that is below $299 from what I see, maybe a few $250's but that is sale prices, not retail.

I too would feel cheated had I been an early adopter for the next Betamaxx (the irony huh!)

Do you feel cheated by the demise of DVDs, cds, cassettes, 8-tracks, 33's, 45's or 78's? Most of the world has survived these tragic dilemmas and i think you will too.

do you feel cheated by the demise of cd's?
Naw, CD's had a 25+ year life span and were unchallenged for the most part.Tapes, vinyl, 8 trac, mini disc were no threat.And CD's are still usefull today and are backwards compatible on all DVD players.HD DVD is challenged and failing against Blu-ray and is only barely a year and a half old. I see no comparison between that and CD's.
Do you feel cheated by the demise of DVDs, cds, cassettes, 8-tracks, 33's, 45's or 78's? Most of the world has survived these tragic dilemmas and i think you will too.
As an updated answer to your edit, had I spent $100's of dollar on media and hardware for something that won't survive (as in fully support with new releases) past 2008, I'd be bitter.

Naw, CD's had a 25+ year life span and were unchallenged for the most part.

Tapes, vinyl, 8 trac, mini disc were no threat.

And CD's are still usefull today and are backwards compatible on all DVD players.

HD DVD is challenged and failing against Blu-ray and is only barely a year and a half old. I see no comparison between that and CD's.

it's all just newer technology. as to tapes vinyl, 8-tracks, etc....at one time they TOO were the latest and are now antiquated for the avg joe. all those DVDs sold that could have been HD? i'm sure you own a few of those. do you feel cheated that they weren't out on HD? all that wasted money.

Regardless of who wins, and I frankly don't care, the competition has been very good for the consumer. given Sony's track record of premium pricing, would Blu-ray even be in the realm of affordability had HD DVD not existed? The same can be said for Toshiba and Microsoft in the HD DVD camp. I'm actually glad that the public isn't clamoring to buy one *or* the other. Let them get the bugs worked out of the players, reduce the prices, and eventually the consumer will bite (just like they/we did for HD itself).

FWIW, even though I'm a home theater buff, I'm still not running out to buy one of these. I would love to replace my Dlink 520 media streamer with an xbox360 w/ HD DVD add-on since it plays well with Vista Media Center and the DLink does not. However, my Oppo DVD player, which is about 2 years old now, provides a top-quality picture. I find myself recommended the Oppo to friends and colleagues who are concerned about 'making the wrong format decision.' It's a no-brainer.

As an updated answer to your edit, had I spent $100's of dollar on media and hardware for something that won't survive (as in fully support with new releases) past 2008, I'd be bitter.

just change the date and the same statement is applicable for all the older media too. that's just life.

it's all just newer technology. as to tapes vinyl, 8-tracks, etc....at one time they TOO were the latest and are now antiquated for the avg joe. all those DVDs sold that could have been HD? i'm sure you own a few of those. do you feel cheated that they weren't out on HD? all that wasted money.
You are missing a small point.Blu ray players, play DVD's still.HD DVD player play DVD's still.DVD's had a good 10 year run and is still going.Also, if you don't have an HDTV, you can't tell anyways.Long story short, unless all players that come out are like LG's dual format player (which is super expensive only supports minimal HD DVD features), the HD DVD media will be rendered useless if support for the hardware is not continued. And with HD DVD numbers dwindling when compared to Blu-ray, what hardware manufacturer wants to create products that is not the majority. That is like making accessories for the Dell DJ when the Apple iPod is the leader in the industry.
just change the date and the same statement is applicable for all the older media too. that's just life.
I would be bitter about the Betamaxx and 8 Track.But as for cassette tapes, VHS, or anything that had a reasonable life span, no.Some technologies die too soon, and HD DVD will be one of those to fall into that category.
Regardless of who wins, and I frankly don't care, the competition has been very good for the consumer. given Sony's track record of premium pricing, would Blu-ray even be in the realm of affordability had HD DVD not existed?
That is the best thing for those who waited, not for early adopters.

HD DVD is challenged and failing against Blu-ray and is only barely a year and a half old. I see no comparison between that and CD's.
again what is this about? with all due respectdo you own either format? I think you already stated you don't so how can you make any comparison at all.
the HD DVD media will be rendered useless if support for the hardware is not continued.
where did you get this idea? why would hardware support stop?

You are missing a small point.Blu ray players, play DVD's still.HD DVD player play DVD's still. Also, if you don't have an HDTV, you can't tell anyways.
and records players still play records just fine. I use them quite frequently myself with albums that are just not available in any other format. i'm sure a real videophile would laugh at the notion of playing The Matrix in nothing less than HD. if you're satisfied with playing HD available movies in regular DVD format, then why make the leap at all at this point? If you don't have HD monitor, why would you be wasting your money buying an hd player?? not sure if that's rationale for anything. just a non issue for most.
And with HD DVD numbers dwindling when compared to Blu-ray, what hardware manufacturer wants to create products that is not the majority.
Do you know they still make high end vinyl records? definitely a niche market, but a market nonetheless. evidently they are selling even at high prices.

Where did you get this idea? why would hardware support stop?

Errrr, were you able to buy a Betamaxx player in the 1990's. . . I don't think so. :rolleyes:

The same thing will happen to HD DVD. Like I mentioned, don't be bitter with me, I am just the messenger. ;)

I would be pissed if I invested in a dying technology too, so I do feel your pain.

again what is this about? with all due respectdo you own either format? I think you already stated you don't so how can you make any comparison at all.
As a native english speaker, I have actually found ways to educate myself and read about the two technologies.It's amazing what you can learn just by reading sometimes. . . :rolleyes:So without actually owning either of them, I have been able to figure out which technology is superior.
There is a poll that suggest people who have read this thread support HDDVD more.
We need to refresh that, seems that we should have more than 11 people participate.Everyone, read the poll above and vote.

Errrr, were you able to buy a Betamaxx player in the 1990's. . . I don't think so. :rolleyes:

The same thing will happen to HD DVD. Like I mentioned, don't be bitter with me, I am just the messenger. ;)

I would be pissed if I invested in a dying technology too, so I do feel your pain.

As a native english speaker, I have actually found ways to educate myself and read about the two technologies.It's amazing what you can learn just by reading sometimes. . . :rolleyes:So without actually owning either of them, I have been able to figure out which technology is superior.

the fact is the format hasn't failed. they are still making players and disks. So your assumption is premature.

I don't have your crystal ball to predict the future.

secondly there is no reason to get rude. I don't want to waste my time arguing with you. But you should consider that there is a lot of misinformation out there and you are just running with assumptions and making assertions of fact that you can not make. Like I said I don't have a lot invested in this. I know as an early adopter in technology the risks associated.

FWIW. I choose HDDVD because I already had an xbxox 360, and hd tv (a sony by the way) and I did not have an upconverting DVD player either.

I have sense been led to believe based on reading numerous threads over at AVS Forum that the HD DVD format has better pitcher quality, more extras on the disks, better features. Of course this is all just my opinion based on what I have surmised from my reading up on it.

the fact is the format hasn't failed. they are still making players and disks. So your assumption is premature.

I don't have your crystal ball to predict the future.

Unless Blu-ray disk cause cancer, support terrorism, or cause global warming, I think it is a sure thing.

Blu-ray disks = future of media (along with digital downloads).

HD DVD's = brand new coasters for your coffee table!

LOL sounds like VHS owner in the 80's. where are they now? dying perhaps?

LOL sounds like VHS owner in the 80's. where are they now? dying perhaps?

Actually, your comments make no sense.

Combo DVD and VHS players are still being sold today.

VHS had a long 20+ year life and is still being used.

Let me know when you can make some sense with your responses.

Actually, your comments make no sense.

Combo DVD and VHS players are still being sold today.

VHS had a long 20+ year life and is still being used.

Let me know when you can make some sense with your responses.

High-def has notched up another milestone, with combined Blu-ray and HD DVD disc sales overtaking VHS during the first half of 2007.

hmmm...looks like "VHS had" been the leader and now isn't. the format is dying like we all will over time. You're very focused on what is happening at this instant but with technology, things fade out over time.

full article

You're very focused on what is happening at this instant but with technology, things fade out over time.

I see you point and it is valid.

I am more focused on people getting enough years out of that technology.

I don't see HD DVD living 20 years though like VHS, not even 10 or 5.

HD DVD will be non existant shortly after 2008.

Mark my words. :P

I see you point and it is valid.

I am more focused on people getting enough years out of that technology.

I don't see HD DVD living 20 years though like VHS, not even 10 or 5.

HD DVD will be non existant shortly after 2008.

Mark my words. :P

Don't be surprised when everything including video will involve a download in the "relatively" near future.

Don't be surprised when everything including video will involve a download in the "relatively" near future.

I think people will always have a knack for collecting things. And since people like buying them as gifts, I can't see that being replaced quit so soon.

But yes, I do expect that to be the final medium, but until everyone adopts and can afford broadband connections for internet downloads, Blu-ray is the choice.

I think people will always have a knack for collecting things. And since people like buying them as gifts, I can't see that being replaced quit so soon.

But yes, I do expect that to be the final medium, but until everyone adopts and can afford broadband connections for internet downloads, Blu-ray is the choice.

With the crystal ball of yours, i'm sure you can retire soon.

CD sales are falling because of downloads....but if one lives in this instant, then sales are just fine. but if one looks out a few yrs, the future is different. As we all know, technology is constantly evolving.

Archived