Pier And Beam With A Treadmill

My wife wants a treadmill..its 150 lbs and she weighs 110. For some reason I am scared there will be a problem with the pier and beam construction of the house. When you jump up and down it seems the whole house shakes.??? Will this additional action of running on a treadmill cause harm to the house??

My wife wants a treadmill..its 150 lbs and she weighs 110. For some reason I am scared there will be a problem with the pier and beam construction of the house. When you jump up and down it seems the whole house shakes.??? Will this additional action of running on a treadmill cause harm to the house??

maybe it's time to have your house leveled or to put a new beam under treadmill area. shaking the whole house seems odd.

Guest danax
maybe it's time to have your house leveled or to put a new beam under treadmill area. shaking the whole house seems odd.

I don't think it's odd. My house does the same thing, even with just closing a door sometimes. Be grateful that you live in such a house. Your wife's joints will hold up longer as the shaking of the house shows that it's absorbing some of the impact. :). Jumping or dancing on concrete is a good way to end up needing a knee or hip replacement later on.

well maybe its just more of a vibrate..the house was leveled 5 yrs ago and there are no water or settling problems..maybe I am just paranoid?

i know for heavy items, some people do get beams installed under them (like a piano) but a 150lb item isn't heavy relatively

i know for heavy items, some people do get beams installed under them (like a piano) but a 150lb item isn't heavy relatively

150lb isn't heavy, but a 110lb wife returning back to earth will be heavy for a split second.

I would suggest that you have a beam stuck under the treamill area. That sort of vibration running through the floors/house can't be good.

You should hear my house when the dog scratches an itch. :blink: Sounds like the whole place is coming down. A treadmill with a svelte wife on it won't hurt anything. Over time, these house get a little loose, but they are not about to fall down. You have several items in your house that probably outweigh the treadmill and wife.

At best, you might place the treadmill so that it sits over two beams (look under the house to locate them). Placing heavy items closer to the piers is better than the middle of the beam. If you are really nervous, place a thick sheet of plywood under the treadmill, long enough to sit over two beams. The plywood will displace your wife's downward force outward to the beams, which can easily handle it. Frankly, I think that is overkill, though, and may scratch up the floors. The worst thing you may experience is the annoyance of the house shaking will she runs. But, if you think of how toned her body will be when she is done, that should make up for it. ;)

• The title was changed to Pier And Beam With A Treadmill

Archived