It's Hurricane Season again; are you ready?

Good article about protecting window & door openings before a hurricane hits.

How to pick the best shutters for your home.

We were just down in Galveston this past week, and one night the winds were gusting over 40 mph, and the whole house on stilts right on the beach was swaying like there was a storm in the Gulf. We started looking at the shutters on the house. They were the roll-down ones that you can roll down from inside the house, BUT they were pretty hard to roll down and it took about 15 minutes per window to do. Couple this with a TON of windows in the house, and it could be a really tough job for just one person or for older folks to handle. If I lived in Galveston, I think I'd spend the big bucks on automatic shutters, to leave me time to get the hell off the island.

Favorite sign seen heading down towards Jamaica Beach:

"This is not a Hurricane Evacuation Route" -DUH, now you tell me...

Favorite dish eaten in Galveston:

The most humongous oysters EVER at Fish Tales on the Seawall. I talked to people later about it, to find out why they were so big there, and nothing like it in Houston. I was told that every decent restaurant from League City to Galveston buys their oysters from Hillman's, and they are SOOO good, taste like they came right out of the water.

Good article about protecting window & door openings before a hurricane hits.

How to pick the best shutters for your home.

We were just down in Galveston this past week, and one night the winds were gusting over 40 mph, and the whole house on stilts right on the beach was swaying like there was a storm in the Gulf. We started looking at the shutters on the house. They were the roll-down ones that you can roll down from inside the house, BUT they were pretty hard to roll down and it took about 15 minutes per window to do. Couple this with a TON of windows in the house, and it could be a really tough job for just one person or for older folks to handle. If I lived in Galveston, I think I'd spend the big bucks on automatic shutters, to leave me time to get the hell off the island.

Favorite sign seen heading down towards Jamaica Beach:

"This is not a Hurricane Evacuation Route" -DUH, now you tell me...

Favorite dish eaten in Galveston:

The most humongous oysters EVER at Fish Tales on the Seawall. I talked to people later about it, to find out why they were so big there, and nothing like it in Houston. I was told that every decent restaurant from League City to Galveston buys their oysters from Hillman's, and they are SOOO good, taste like they came right out of the water.

The only plans I have is to get the hell out and go to the west side side of Houston or hunker in downtown.

There was a new product product that i saw on one of the shows recently that I was greatly impressed with.

It's basically reinforced corrugated plastic sheets that are cut to fit and then are fastened with only a Velcro type fastener.

Lowe's had bottled water on sale yesterday, so I loaded up. I found some rechargeable flashlights a few months ago at Home Depot. Haven't bought the can goods yet. Everything else, I saved from last year.

I've been looking to build my own shutters. I've been researching different styles that will protect the windows, but look good on the house. Being this far inland, and not liking the look, steel shutters are out. I don't feel like doing plywood, plus I like old style shutters.

Right now, my favorite is batten shutters, similar to these.

red_shutter.jpg

I think they look cool, and will look good on my house. I haven't decided what type and thickness of wood to use yet. I also have to figure out how to build a hinged version for my double windows. Nice (several) weekend project. Anyone with any ideas, post 'em here!

I think they look cool, and will look good on my house. I haven't decided what type and thickness of wood to use yet. I also have to figure out how to build a hinged version for my double windows. Nice (several) weekend project. Anyone with any ideas, post 'em here!

Didn't you have some 3 or 4 window wide window openings? only reason i ask is that opening the shutter on one window will block the light for another.

Guest Marty

I have 19 2 liter soda pop bottles full of water frozen in a upright freezer and 1 can of chicken of stars and a can of spaghetti O's. Tomorrow i am filling up all my ice chest up with water 4 Igloo Maxcold's 142 liters ice chest's of drinking water 3, 44 gallons containers to flush the toilet. and soups and Vienna sausages.

Didn't you have some 3 or 4 window wide window openings? only reason i ask is that opening the shutter on one window will block the light for another.

Yeah, I have two sets of triples, also. I decided that the only way to make those work is to have pre-cut wood to install over the middle window just before a storm, similar to plywood. Hinged shutters would cover the outer 2 windows. Otherwise, a shutter would cover the other windows, like you said. However, only having to install 2 window coverings, versus 19, is not too bad.

Beach houses can sway when a couple of people walk up the stairs. No big deal.

We used the 3M Hurricanse prouduct on the windows in Galveston for those unexpected storms. It's tough stuff. We also have plywood that screws into the windows for the big one.

Those roll down shutters are nice, but they won't help much when the roof gets ripped off.

Red, are those real/functional shutters in the pic? They look like what I have in Housotn but mine are faux.

My parents live in Zone One, and they have precut boards you hook on the brick.

Those are faux shutters. I just used the pic to show the style I am considering. I think 3/4 inch or 1 inch wood will do the trick, but I haven't decided yet. Unfortunately, I have a couple of other projects in front of this one....such as the fence I am putting up right now.

• 2 weeks later...

Hurricane Season can kiss my bum. I'm not evacuating this year... Rita was mandatory evacuation for my area, and it was more than any nightmare.

I'm going to buy a rubber Batman suit, strap on a couple of bottles of vodka, and hope I don't run out of money for the jukebox.

Archived