Berryhill On FM 1960

jimcas

Someone also told me that the Berryhill Tamales on 1960 was closed down for failure to pay rent? Is that the case?

Also, their website has shown a future location as being 249 and Cypresswood for about 10 months now, but I don't see anything resembling a Berryhill going up over there...

Someone also told me that the Berryhill Tamales on 1960 was closed down for failure to pay rent? Is that the case?

Also, their website has shown a future location as being 249 and Cypresswood for about 10 months now, but I don't see anything resembling a Berryhill going up over there...

consider yourself lucky. Berryhill is bad.

We used to go to Berryhill when we lived inside the loop...then fell out of like with it. Gave it another shot when they opened the Champions location, it was great the first week it opened...then again we fell out of like with it rather quickly. Goodbye Berryhill. Hello something better.

We need an Escalante's out here.

what happened to that Barton Springs Grill off of 249? I know it closed down....and wait..wasn't Berryhill's next door?

I guess it's escalantes but that mexican restaurant on the east side of 249 is always jam packed

Barton Springs was located next to Lupe Tortillas on 249.

It never really seemed to lack business, but closed anyhow. They opened a location on 290 that does brisk business.

The 249 location is now a Red Robin and is always packed.

It never really seemed to lack business, but closed anyhow. They opened a location on 290 that does brisk business.

Escalante's is yummy! I put in a casual mention to the manager at Highland Village for a Vintage location.

hmmm, i'm going to have to check this place out. i work 3 min. away from the place and have never gone,

we typically go to the ninfas on richmond and kirby but next week i'll definately try this escalantes place out. i looked at their lunch menu online. i guess i'll go for their "seis" :D

Escalante's has great Enchiladas and their queso is the bomb.

yeah i talked to some of my old co-workers and we're going to meet up there sometime next week. i look forward to trying their food.

oh and to bring this back on topic....Berryhill FTL!! i'm a enchiladas suizas fan, and i ordered that at the berryhill on post oak and the chicken were in chunks not shredded...what's up with that?!?!?!

If they couldn't pay their rent it was probably because nobody goes there because they're the worst "Mexican/Tex-mex/whatever" restaurant known to mankind.

We ate at that location once - the service was terrible and the shrimp in my mom's friend's salad were completely uncooked (they were still that gray color :unsure: ). We flagged down the waitress, who brought one of the kitchen staff to our table as if she needed third-party verification that the shrimp were raw. The cook was wearing FLIP-FLOPS. That combined with the huge communal self-serve salsa & chips made the place a health department violation in the works.

I tried not to let that incident sour me on the whole Berryhill franchise so a few months later I ate at the one in The Woodlands with a friend. Yet again, slow service and my enchiladas were covered in cheese that was more like yellow cheese-flavored water.

The fact that chain Mexican restaurants can even survive in Houston astonishes me. The mom-and-pop ones are way better and a lot cheaper.

I was out that way the other night and casually looked over to the right at the light right there at Ben & Jerry's. It looked vacant and shut down and I wondered the same thing.

yeah i talked to some of my old co-workers and we're going to meet up there sometime next week. i look forward to trying their food.

oh and to bring this back on topic....Berryhill FTL!! i'm a enchiladas suizas fan, and i ordered that at the berryhill on post oak and the chicken were in chunks not shredded...what's up with that?!?!?!

I hear the one on Montrose rocks. On the Sundays I pass by (on my way to La Strada where the REAL party is) there are many people rockin' and rolling on the patio area.

I've had BH at catered events and the food, while not the best in the world, was okay.

I was out that way the other night and casually looked over to the right at the light right there at Ben & Jerry's. It looked vacant and shut down and I wondered the same thing.

I hear the one on Montrose rocks. On the Sundays I pass by (on my way to La Strada where the REAL party is) there are many people rockin' and rolling on the patio area.

I've had BH at catered events and the food, while not the best in the world, was okay.

I liked the cheap happy hours and $2 margaritas, which is why I was disappointed to see it close. Usually they would have a decent musician playing during happy hour as well. The food was decent, not great, in my opinion, but I'll miss the happy hours there.

Berryhill is Cal-Mex. That's why we don't like it.

Barton Springs closed because the owner "misidentified" the demographics. He thought this was more of an Austin/liberal/younger mid set area and he found out later that it WASN'T. That's why he moved to 290. Don't ask me what the difference is, but it was in the paper last year as such. They took all the signs and moved them to the new restaurant. There was a big write up on it in the Chronicle.

I believe the restaurant on the east of 249 is Los Cucos. That location is always busy.

what happened to that Barton Springs Grill off of 249? I know it closed down....and wait..wasn't Berryhill's next door?

I guess it's escalantes but that mexican restaurant on the east side of 249 is always jam packed

• 4 weeks later...
Barton Springs closed because the owner "misidentified" the demographics. He thought this was more of an Austin/liberal/younger mid set area and he found out later that it WASN'T.

I think that is what happened to Taco Milagro as well. When they first opened, they wanted it to be just like the Montrose location and wouldn't even allow servers out on the patio. You had to go in to the bar to get drinks and food. They wanted it to be a "hangout" like it was at the other location. Montrose, that might work, this is Willowbrook. This crowd wants to be waited on. It took them a while to make note and change as well. I'm sure they took a decent hit.

• 3 weeks later...
Not that too many folks on this thread care - but it looks like Berryhill on 1960 and champion forest may actually have re-opened recently.

What makes you say that?

(Actually, I care since I live on 1960) @ I45 and Champions is a frequent stop.

Red Robin is awful. It has a totally fabricated "chain" look inside the place, and the food is beyond bad. I had to force myself to finish my chicken tenders. The french fries tasted like cardboard and were cold. Their food is way overpriced for the quality. 8.99 for chicken tenders and fries that tasted disgusting and were very low quality frozen food. There's not even much of a dining experience, so why the high prices? The sad thing is, I didn't eat there by choice, and I knew before-hand that it would be bad and cheesy, just not this bad. I'm baffled as to why anyone eats there.

Not that too many folks on this thread care - but it looks like Berryhill on 1960 and champion forest may actually have re-opened recently.

I drive by that intersection regularly to stop at Wells Fargo and eat at Schlotzsky's for lunch. I haven't seen a Berryhill over there. Where is it located exactly?

Berryhill is Cal-Mex. That's why we don't like it.

Barton Springs closed because the owner "misidentified" the demographics. He thought this was more of an Austin/liberal/younger mid set area and he found out later that it WASN'T. That's why he moved to 290. Don't ask me what the difference is, but it was in the paper last year as such. They took all the signs and moved them to the new restaurant. There was a big write up on it in the Chronicle.

How in the world did the owner of Barton Springs Grill mistake 249 and Spring Cypress for an area with an Austin mindset? Did he think that with all the trees and the creek, there would be lots of recreational types? Even more baffling is that after making this discovery, he moves the place to 290 and 1960! There are even more chain-restaurant types over there than in the original location.

I drive by that intersection regularly to stop at Wells Fargo and eat at Schlotzsky's for lunch. I haven't seen a Berryhill over there. Where is it located exactly?

In the end cap of the strip center behind Rockfish overlooking Champions.

• 9 months later...

Okay - not ALL of you will be excited, but YES - the BERRYHILL on 1960 is open and kicking again. If you were not impressed before, I hope you will give us (new ownership) a chance. We have live music (7pm) on Wednesdays and Fridays, and sometimes on Saturday nights. We've added Sunday brunch buffet, great happy hours, and there is a killer margarita waiting just for you! Come see us on 1960 - our patio faces Champion Forest, and we are a few doors to the left/west of the Container Store. Thanks! :rolleyes:NEW PHONE # 281-444-8844

When I think of Berryhill on 1960 I think of the dude who started a police chase from there a couple of years ago. He drove literally all over the west side, made it to Sugar Land and turned around and then headed all the way back into downtown and hit the perpetual backup east of Shepherd... so he turned around and tried to go the wrong way back down the Kirby entrance ramp and ended up hitting some lady head on... and said lady proceeded to get out of her car and start smacking him around with her purse in front of live local news and the national networks. Absolutely beautiful. LOL.

Okay - not ALL of you will be excited, but YES - the BERRYHILL on 1960 is open and kicking again. If you were not impressed before, I hope you will give us (new ownership) a chance. We have live music (7pm) on Wednesdays and Fridays, and sometimes on Saturday nights. We've added Sunday brunch buffet, great happy hours, and there is a killer margarita waiting just for you! Come see us on 1960 - our patio faces Champion Forest, and we are a few doors to the left/west of the Container Store. Thanks! :rolleyes:NEW PHONE # 281-444-8844

That sounds interesting! I used to go all the time before it went a little down hill. I'll mention it to all my friends and check it out again to see what y'all offer now...

Archived