classy albums

musicman

my mom found an album that she thought i would like. Harry Nilsson's As time goes by is a classic i must recommend. I just finished listening to it and am starting it over.....please add to the list for me.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That will depend on what a person considers classic?

Do you mean like in so good it must be heard?

I imagine classic as being a type of music that captures a certain perioid in music history that we wont see any of its kind again.

These are way before my time and thats what makes them classic to me. This is just a tiny bit of my brains musical archives.

Percy Faith's - Greatest hits

Henry Mancini - Movie soundtrack to Breakfast at Tiffany's and too many other albums to mention here.

Herb Alperts collection

Gilbert O'Sullivans - Greatest hits

I love Percy Faith.

Harry Nilsson sounds familiar. Did he do a duet with Olivia Newton John?

Nilsson as he was known was quite popular around early 1970-71ish if I'm not mistaken. His most famous song was "Can't live" if living is without you.....A real anthom of a song if any.

I dont think he did any duets with anyone he passed away quite young. Google should tell all. :)

Harry Nilsson sounds familiar. Did he do a duet with Olivia Newton John?

you'd probably know him from theme song to midnight cowboy "everybody's talkin" or "without you"

not sure about a duet.

I love Percy Faith.

Get his album called "bouquet". if you like his style, i must say it is one of his best. perfect with good martini or beverage of your choice. also his latin albums are great.

I thought he recorded the duet "Suddenly" with Olivia Newton John, but it was someone else. I googled it.

I'm more familiar with Mariah Carey's "Can't Live", but I know of his version, now that you mention it. I know his name.

Some classic music that I'm really into right now is Scott Joplin. He wrote a lot of the ragtime music around the turn of the century. I put a lot of it on my MP3 player and listen to it repeatedly because I'm trying to learn it on paino.

One of my favorites is "Gladiolus Rag":

http://www.geocities.com/BourbonStreet/2783/gladiols.mid

Edited: Yes I've heard "Everybody's Talkin'".

Some classic music that I'm really into right now is Scott Joplin. He wrote a lot of the ragtime music around the turn of the century. I put a lot of it on my MP3 player and listen to it repeatedly because I'm trying to learn it on paino.

he has many great songs. add "maple leaf rag" to your list.

I thought he recorded the duet "Suddenly" with Olivia Newton John, but it was someone else. I googled it.

Oh no,

Just brought back unpleasant John Travolta memory of him trying to break into music, it flopped. This bad attempt of his vocals came on the promo height of his "Grease" fame. Movies maybe, music no. He was still trying to shake off the Vinnie Barbarino persona he was typecast in Welcome Back Kotter circa 1976.

Urrgggg... those pathetic sweathog posters, barfo. Trying to play a street smart hip thug from the Bronx, not. If interviewed today he would probably say he was desperate and just wanted to break into show biz. Guess ya can't blame em. Try to see reruns of Kotter and hold your stomache.

I can't beleive we used to endure that show, the kids at school (girls anyway) would just rant about it the next day in school. :wacko::lol:

Robert Cray is EXCELLENT ! You know the end of Knights in White Satin is so freakin Weird, I would love to know what the hell he was trippin' on with Dr. Leary back then.

1967 London Philharmonic Orchestra provided excellent backdrop to a way ahead of its time sound. In fact they have a song that chants Timothy Leary in the background. The whole album plays like a trilogy and set the tone for others ie The White Album, etc. LSD was quite the rage in that time so I'm sure it was the inspiration for the album. I love when it progresses into a hectic, cosmopolitan, downtown New Yorkish aura... pure genius. I'm seeing colors now :blink:

Robert Cray is EXCELLENT ! You know the end of Knights in White Satin is so freakin Weird, I would love to know what the hell he was trippin' on with Dr. Leary back then.

probably wouldn't be on this list. i will add Getz/Gilberto to the list. pulled it out this past weekend and forgot how much i liked it. bossa nova jazz at its finest.

There is a new artist named Michael Buble, who scarily sounds just like Sinatra. It is NOT an impersonation, he just sounds like Frank when he sings. Buble is really good.

dont know if i'd call him new but i do have a couple of his albums. i don't have the latest one that was released 2 or 3 weeks ago. one thing i don't like is that some of his arrangements are stolen from the originators. it's nice to hear them with modern technology but i guess i'm old school in this aspect. he's has lots of money backing him and to hear an old arrangement is a letdown.

probably wouldn't be on this list. i will add Getz/Gilberto to the list. pulled it out this past weekend and forgot how much i liked it. bossa nova jazz at its finest.

Astrid Gilberto's greatest most definetely.

Soundtrack to The Good, The Bad and The Ugly.

Petula Clark's greatest - ultimate British mod 60's sound. Simply smashing!

musicman, I don't know if you have ever heard of a guitarist named Stanley Jordan ? He is amazing. He has a couple of albums out, and he is definately worth a listen.

How I missed out on Michael Buble before now is beyond me, I thought he was new.

musicman, I don't know if you have ever heard of a guitarist named Stanley Jordan ? He is amazing. He has a couple of albums out, and he is definately worth a listen.

How I missed out on Michael Buble before now is beyond me, I thought he was new.

no i haven't heard of Stanley Jordan...will have to check him out. i tend to have older music.

i will say this about michael buble, he sure has introduced much of the younger generation to the music. that is a good thing.

no i haven't heard of Stanley Jordan...will have to check him out. i tend to have older music.

i will say this about michael buble, he sure has introduced much of the younger generation to the music. that is a good thing.

Buble has that lounge singer cool kind of sound something the public misses.

Reminds people of Bobby Darrin, Dino Martin and Bobby Vee from the late 50's early 60's era. Rat Pack groupies loved this time. Try to see old footage of all these guys and youll see where Buble gets his inspiration. this guys gonna go far.

Buble has that lounge singer cool kind of sound something the public misses.

Reminds people of Bobby Darrin, Dino Martin and Bobby Vee from the late 50's early 60's era. Rat Pack groupies loved this time. Try to see old footage of all these guys and youll see where Buble gets his inspiration. this guys gonna go far.

You will really like Jordan, he is credited with inventing a style of guitar playing, although there are apparently like 3 or 4 others who did it before him, nobody had ever seen it until the 80's when he perfected it. His type of music is called Jazz/Fusion, it is just great to lounge around to.

You may want to pick up some Boney James also, if you get the chance.

If you can get your hands on all top 40 Pop music that came out the summer of 1976. Maybe a compilation or greatest hits of CD's. That was a very high point year in music. Billboard Magazine online can give you a whole complete list.

Try to get Fleetwood Macs first album. Rumours was good too.

i had this huge list and just lost it. maybe later.

on the top of my list was digitally remastered nat king cole, etta james, ella fitzgerald, dean martin, frank sinatra, most baroque compilations, the "capital sings" series and the "ultra-lounge" series.

maybe we need "haif" radio a la shoutcast.com. we could stream our music on to the site.

Archived