Cut'n Shoot Texas

citykid09

Cut 'n Shoot Texas, what is it like?

Do they have hills there?

I saw a show last night on PBS called "Do you speak American" and this guy went all over America looking at diffrent dialects. One of the places he came was Cut'N Shoot, Texas. When they showed clips of it I saw Hills so I was wondering where it was at so I looked it up and found out that it was close to Houston. Do any of you know about this place?

http://www.pbs.org/speak/

I was watching that show while listening to the Aggies play their heart out at KU. Just before going to a break(I guess not a commercial break, but the time when they play promos for other PBS shows), they showed the host driving through College Station. They showed the Old Navy near Target, First National Bank and J.J.' Liquor Store, both at Harvey and Texas Ave. I kept watching because of that, but they never had a segment actually here. I would love to know if he spent some time at Northgate. If they couldn't tell that there is another language spoken here, they must have been to the wrong places.

I was watching that show while listening to the Aggies play their heart out at KU. Just before going to a break(I guess not a commercial break, but the time when they play promos for other PBS shows), they showed the host driving through College Station. They showed the Old Navy near Target, First National Bank and J.J.' Liquor Store, both at Harvey and Texas Ave. I kept watching because of that, but they never had a segment actually here. I would love to know if he spent some time at Northgate. If they couldn't tell that there is another language spoken here, they must have been to the wrong places.

I saw that exact part. It was pretty quick.

First I saw the Old Navy and did not think anything of it then I saw the JJ's Liquir store signs YELLOW YELLOW YELLOW Etc. then I new It was College Station. I was shocked So I kept watching to see the part when he came to Bryan College Station but they never showed it. I wonder why they showed that clip then?

There's a topic from a few months back in the Woodlands/Conroe forum about a boxer who had a shot at the heavyweight title from Cut N Shoot back in the 50s.

There's a topic from a few months back in the Woodlands/Conroe forum about a boxer who had a shot at the heavyweight title from Cut N Shoot back in the 50s.

That would be Roy Harris. I never saw him fight, but he was big news around here when he was going for the title. If I recall, Sonny Liston once remarked that of all the opponents he ever faced, Harris had the hardest punch.

Harris had his training camp in Cut'n Shoot. Many locals used to go there to watch him train.

CUT AND SHOOT, TEXAS. Cut and Shoot (Cut 'n Shoot, Cut N Shoot) is six miles east of Conroe and forty miles north of Houston in eastern Montgomery County. It was apparently named after a 1912 community confrontation that almost led to violence. According to the different versions of the story, the dispute was either over the design of a new steeple for the town's only church, the issue of who should be allowed to preach there, or conflicting land claims among church members. A small boy at the scene reportedly declared, "I'm going to cut around the corner and shoot through the bushes in a minute!" The boy's phrase apparently remained in residents' minds and was eventually adopted as the town's name. Population statistics were not reported for the community until the mid-1970s, when the number of residents was fifty. By 1980 the incorporated community reported a population of 809 and had built a new city hall and supported a school and several businesses. Cut and Shoot had a post office by the mid-1980s. The community's population was reported as 903 in 1990.

BIBLIOGRAPHY: William Harley Gandy, A History of Montgomery County, Texas (M.A. thesis, University of Houston, 1952). Robin Navarro Montgomery, Cut 'n Shoot: The Roy Harris Story (Austin: Eakin Press, 1984).

Robin N. Montgomery

Archived