Rumors of A Second Super Walmart In Bryan

citykid09

Rumor of a HEB or Wal-Mart or some other center at 2818 and Leonard Rd.

Any one here something about this?????

I the first time I heard, it was HEB. Now its Wal Mart.

Does Bryan need another Wal-Mart? I don't think so. If so, tare down the one on Briarcrest.

I heard about this, Wal-Mart was picking also a location on Rock.P in College Station and decided the 2818 Leonard Rd. spot was better. i wonder what they was thinking i grew up in this part of town Beck, Bittle Ln. Jordan Loop and that part of College Station im sure has more income than this side but if thats true its great to see that part of Bryan getting improvements long over-due

From what I have read, WalMart owns the land. If true, that doesn't mean they will build there, it just means they might build there. The area around Leonard between Hwy. 47 and 2818 would probably have to have a few hundred home starts before WalMart actually broke ground.

I have also heard about an HEB and Lowe's in south C.S. One possible location was the southeast corner of Rock Praire and Rudder, and I read a C.S. resident say, "we already have too much traffic there". Apparantly many residents don't want any big box development along Rudder north of the Greens Prairie/Rudder area. From what I have read, the issue was a reason Berry and Marvin lost their city council races.

• 2 weeks later...

If they do decide to build there it might have a lot to do with the new Brazos County Coliseum/Fairgrounds development going in at that intersection. Maybe they think it will spur development out there? You also have to remember that a location in northwest Bryan could pull shoppers from the communities of Dime Box, Mumford, Smetana, possibly even Caldwell. A lot of people live out in that direction that you just don't see from Highway 21. I heard in the rumor mill a year or so ago that KB Homes or one of the other larger homebuilders out of Austin & San Antonio was looking at a parcel off Leonard Rd for a new development. The homes would start in upper $90's and go up to the mid $100's. I never heard if it actually got off the ground or if there was much interest though.

Well, I just got done searching around on the Brazos County Appraisal District's website and all of the land in question is as of 2006 still owned by locals. Wal-Mart Realty nor HEB Real Estate show up as owners anywhere in west Bryan. I went more detailed on Leonard Rd and 2818 and also found nothing but local land owners. Although I think a Wal-Mart or HEB in west Bryan would be great, as there isnt much out there yet except at 2818 & Villa Maria, I think this rumor is probably a bust... But you never know these days I guess. B/CS is growing so fast its hard to keep up with...

The southwest corner of 2818 and Leonard is owned by KKJM Investments of Liberty Hill, Texas. I have no idea who they are, but they may be a holding company for one of the big boys, or simply a land investment firm.

The southwest corner of 2818 and Leonard is owned by KKJM Investments of Liberty Hill, Texas. I have no idea who they are, but they may be a holding company for one of the big boys, or simply a land investment firm.

Thats a valid point! Any idea what the acreage of that site is anyway?

According to the Bryan GIS website it is 94 acres, but not perfectly square. I would think a Walmart would "only" need 30-40 acres though, even with a few pad sites. The Walmart Supercenter on Briarcrest is on 25 acres.

There is currently a billboard proposing a new retail center at the SW corner of Leonard & 2818. The development company listed is Weiner Development which is run by the former CEO of the Weiner's Store chain. He also is involved in the new, very large development at Greens Prairie and Hwy 6 on the water tower side (SW I believe). I looked at his website and it makes no mention of the Bryan parcel though it does mention the CS location. Next to his sign is a for sale or lease sign with a local number indicated. My guess is that Weiner signed a contract with the landlord pending interest in the land by a large retailer. Though I think a Wal-Mart or other large store would be an excellent addition to Bryan's retail base I'd find it hard to believe if they went in out there...even if I wanted them to. If nothing else maybe it'd pull some traffic from the Bryan Wal-Mart Supercenter area which is almost inpassable in the mornings or late afternoon...and though I know it won't happen for at least another decade maybe that site could then be looked at for another purpose.

• 6 months later...

Just saw this over on the Texags board, it could be nothing but I figured it was worth a thread over here.

At the corner of Leonard Rd. / 2818 where the shell gas station is located, they're building a car wash and laundry mat. So when I went in to pay for my gas, the store manger told me that Wal * Mart is planning on building a super center store right across the street sometimes next year so they decided to extend the store in hope of more business when Wal * Mart arrives. West Bryan will finally have a grocery store.........

If this is true, I wonder how much the decision of not building a Wal * Mart in C. S. had on them deciding to build one in Bryan. If I any say in this I'll tell the Bryan city council to treat Wal * Mart like College Station did with building codes and promoting a nice image.

If this is true, I wonder how much the decision of not building a Wal * Mart in C. S. had on them deciding to build one in Bryan. If I any say in this I'll tell the Bryan city council to treat Wal * Mart like College Station did with building codes and promoting a nice image.

Combine this with the rumor that Target is leaving CS for Bryan to build a Supertarget, and taking old navy with it...then you have the health science center...wow...

If all that's true (unlikely, but hey, what are internet forums for :) ), then the next few years could be explosive for Bryan.

If all that's true (unlikely, but hey, what are internet forums for :) ), then the next few years could be explosive for Bryan.
Well..... Bryan is not there yet, but I feel it's heading in the right direction. Even though a lot of people feel Wal * Mart is not "their" kind of store Leonard Rd./ 2818 is a great location for residents on the west side of Bryan and maybe it could start a snowball effect for the rest of future 2818 devolvement.

Bryan does need to up its facade requirements again. They are better than they used to be, but we need to get more in line with C.S. The days of us needing lax standards to bring the businesses in are over.

Last I heard, the current Target will remain when the new Super one opens, wouldn't be surprised if Old Navy jumped ship to the Lauth development though...

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Last I heard, the current Target will remain when the new Super one opens, wouldn't be surprised if Old Navy jumped ship to the Lauth development though...

phew..thats good

I dont think anyone cares too much about old navy, hopefully whatever happens if it does move out that space can be successfully reused, like how they made the old HEB pantry next door into gatti-town

• The title was changed to Rumors of A Second Super Walmart In Bryan

Archived