Houston Article From Rolling Stone Mag.

A "real gem," eh? I'll just post here what I posted at DallasMetropolis.

They just want an excuse to attack Texas and the south because we're "anachronistic" and "backwards" to the amoral leaders of our popular "culture."

I just read the article. Is this man serious? Does he really have a doctorate, because it looks like it was written by an angsty fifteen-year-old emo kid. It's just one lie after another, and based completely on whatever twisted form of reality that is in this man's head. I wonder if these extremists realize how bad they make their side look.

I'll bet the guy could not even point to Houston on a map. What a knucklehead.

That article is full of tangents that have nothing to do with the election. I wouldn't be surprised if the guy got his "doctorate" from a vending machine.

Well hey, why not, when you can become an ordained minister over the internet?

this is the kind of crap that pisses me off about outsiders having opinions about houston and texas when they obviously have never been here. anyone with an eighth of a brain should be able to look past the cowboy stereotype. this guy is probably the same kind of idiot who would assume that everyone in this great city is involved with either ranching or the oil business, because those must be the ONLY two industries we have here, right? i mean, all those movies can't be wrong, everyone in texas must be a braindead hick. i can't believe this guy writes for a major magazine. he's spreading his stupidity and ignorance like a virus against anyone stupid enough to believe his worthless opinion.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

WHO IS (DR.) HUNTER S. THOMPSON?

A more comprehensive biography/timeline can be found in The Life of Gonzo, a decade by decade look (up to 1969) of this extraordinary life.

(Dr.) Hunter S. Thompson was born July 18, 1937 in Louisville, Kentucky. After a crime-filled youth, he enlisted in the Air Force as part of his parole. At Eglin AFB, he worked as sports editor for the base paper. Following his discharge, he worked at various writing jobs, most of which proved fruitless. He spent some time in the late fifties and early sixties writing newspaper articles in South America for American papers. He returned to the states and set up his home in Woody Creek, Colorado, on Owl Farm, although he was continually on the road. He gained fame for his first book, Hell's Angels: A Strange and Terrible Saga, in which he spent a year living and riding with the motorcycle gang until a disagreement caused them to stomp him and break his nose. In 1970, he ran for sheriff of Pitkin County on the Freak Power ticket and narrowly lost to the incumbent. He is most famous for his brand of supersubjective journalism, called "Gonzo".

Other books include: Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas: A Savage Journey to the Heart of the American Dream; Fear and Loathing on the Campaign Trail 72; The Great Shark Hunt, Gonzo Papers Vol. 1: Strange Tales from a Strange Time; The Curse of Lono; Generation of Swine, Gonzo Papers Vol. 2: Tales of Shame and Degradation in the Eighties; Songs of the Doomed, Gonzo Papers Vol. 3: More Notes on the Death of the American Dream; Better Than Sex, Gonzo Papers Vol. 4: Trapped Like a Rat in Mr. Bill's Neighbourhood, and most recently, The Proud Highway: Letters from a desperate Southern Gentleman. There are two extremely rare books, Screwjack and Mistah Leary...He Dead which make up his limited edition work. His long lost novel, The Rum Diary is expected to be released in October 1998. A more legendary unseen book is Polo is my Life, which was due in March 1998, but was suddenly cancelled.

Dr. Thompson is a man of strange and bewitching charisma. He is 6'2" tall, and, due to the fact that one leg is longer than the other, tends to bob about like a freakish marionette. He is always thirsty; his favourite drinks are Wild Turkey and Chivas Regal. He has one son, Juan Fitzgerald Thompson, and was married to Sandra Dawn Conklin. Besides writer and failed politician, Dr. Thompson is also a peacock and gun collector, ex-night manager of the O'Farrell Theatre in San Francisco, and founder of The Fourth Amendment Foundation. A responsible Woody Creek resident, Dr. Thompson's certification came from a mail-order church in the sixties while he was in San Francisco.

There have been many media treatments of Dr. Thompson. The most recognizable is the "Uncle Duke" character in Doonesbury by Garry Trudeau, followed by the cult movie, Where the buffalo roam starring Bill Murray and Peter Boyle. The most recent is a FLLV spoken word CD and the movie version of FLLV which was released May 22, 1998 and stars Johnny Depp and Benicio Del Toro, superb direction by Terry Gilliam.

WHAT IS GONZO JOURNALISM?

Gonzo journalism is a highly subjective and extremely personal form of reporting. While Dr. Thompson's writing style has not changed dramatically since the sixties (although his form has), the first piece of writing to be called gonzo was The Kentucky Derby is Decadent and Depraved written for Scanlan's and illustrated by the Welsh cartoonist Ralph Steadman. As the deadline approached, and with his article still not done, Dr. Thompson resorted to ripping pages out of his notebook and send them to the editors. What resulted was "gonzo", as Bill Cardoso called it. (Gonzo is really an Italian word for absurdities - gonzagas. Cardoso claimed it was a corruption of the French Canadian word "gonzeaux" which means "shining path". To my knowledge, no such word exists).

Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas: A Savage Journey to the Heart of the American Dream followed in 1971. It has become a cult classic and was recently turned into a CD recording. F&L is a failed experiment in gonzo journalism. Thompson says this himself. He had intended it to be a record of everything he did as it happened, and unedited. Thompson rewrote and edited F&L five times!

Gonzo journalism has been called outlaw journalism, literary cubism, new journalism and other words I can't repeat here. Many see it as an offshoot of the New Journalism movement in the sixties, led primarily by Tom Wolfe. In other words, NJ breaks all the rules of traditional journalism. This, however, is not exactly true. The changes in journalism made at the beginning of the 20th century is the original NJ. Some people argue that NJ really isn't new, since objectivity has been the great myth of journalism. As hard as media sources try to be objective, they can never truly achieve it. Everything from space limitations to illustrations infringe on objectivity.

Gonzo journalism is characterized by the use of quotes, sarcasm, humour, exaggeration, and profanity. Dr. Thompson bases his style on William Faulkner's idea that "the fiction is often the best fact". While the things that Dr. Thompson writes about are basically true, he uses satircal devices to drive his points home.

Another feature that makes it unique is that true gonzo writing is unedited. A notorious misser of deadlines, Thompson often drove editors nuts because he often faxed articles late, too late to be edited but just in time to make the printers. Dr. Thompson sees the fax machine, or "Mojo Wire" to be the ultimate communications instrument, as one can send information anywhere in seconds.

(as found on the internet....)

Houston is a cruel and crazy town on a filthy river in East Texas with no zoning laws and a culture of sex, money and violence. It's a shabby sprawling metropolis ruled by brazen women, crooked cops and super-rich pansexual cowboys who live by the code of the West -- which can mean just about anything you need it to mean, in a pinch.

BTW-

"Gonzo" Thompson, the total nut-job revered for his total insanity, got so many things wrong in his most recent article that it's hard to know where to start, but...

George W. Bush is NOT from Houston.

He was born in Connecticut, went to Yale, enlisted in the Air National Guard at Ellington AFB in the Houston area, lived in Midland where he married Laura, moved to Dallas where he owned the Rangers, lived in Austin when he was Governor, but I don't recall him "being from" Houston, not that Houston would not be most proud to claim him as one of their own, of course! :D

Boy, talk about fevered writing.  It sounds like a promo for a cheesy TV show. 

LOL!

Maybe Mark Burnett can make a reality show based upon this article. Cruel, crazy, filthy, sex, money, violence, brazen, crooked... sounds like a fun place to me! I'm just waiting to see the super-rich pansexual cowboy! Maybe for Halloween...

If you've seen "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas" then you probably know everything you need to about the guy. He is, however, a counter-culture icon and to dismiss him as a crackpot is missing the point.

There is a good body of work out there amongst liberal "journalists" that attempts to define the Texas mindset for the un-initiated. For the most part, we are characterized as obnoxious, arrogant, gaudy and fanatically right-wing cowboys that do not share the core values of the rest of America. This is only like the eight millionth article I've seen that promulgates this theory. Houston, for some reason, always gets singled out as the epitome of this mindset, even though Dallas is more conservative. But while Dallas is largely conformist, Houston is a drunk cowboy with a loaded gun and repressed homosexual tendencies, or so this article suggests.

If it's any consolation, most people that buy Rolling Stone just want to see which stringy ingenue is wearing next to nothing. Or at least that's why I would buy it.

Most "counter-culture" icons ARE crackpots.

His hatred for George Dubya is transferred on the city where the Dubya's Dad lives. That's not logic, that's just hatred.

He's right up there with the counter-culture icons that have been abducted by aliens and live in trees to stop logging.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived