Fiesta Opened On FM 1960

blue92

5 hours ago, blue92 said:

In 1999 not long after I moved to Houston Fiesta opened a Super Fiesta just across the road to Willow brook Mall is it still there?

I'm really not trying to be mean. Honest. I hate it when people say "The Internet is your friend. Google it!" But in this particular case, yes, you could have simply gone to Fiesta's website and found it yourself. It took me about 8 seconds to find this for you... the store in question is #20:

https://www.fiestamart.com/store-locator/

Sorry, not trying to be mean. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/15/2017 at 9:06 PM, Firebird65 said:

I'm really not trying to be mean. Honest. I hate it when people say "The Internet is your friend. Google it!" But in this particular case, yes, you could have simply gone to Fiesta's website and found it yourself. It took me about 8 seconds to find this for you... the store in question is #20:

https://www.fiestamart.com/store-locator/

Sorry, not trying to be mean. 

I thought this was a discussion board it was when I joined years ago, but I guess I was wrong. Not being mean and all.

17 hours ago, blue92 said:

I thought this was a discussion board it was when I joined years ago, but I guess I was wrong. Not being mean and all.

This IS a discussion board. You asked a question... I provided an answer for you that yes, the store is still open. You asked and you received. And I discussed with you that you could have just as easily found it yourself. Very likely you could have found it in less time than it took to make your post and certainly in a LOT less time than the 5 hours and 9 minutes it took to get a reply from someone. That you took that as a slight or me complaining is on you. I bent over backwards like a limbo dancer to assure you I was not trying to be mean to you. If you still want to take it that way, so be it. 

If you want to have a discussion about this particular store, that's great... I'll help you out. What is so special about this Fiesta to you? Did you work there? Shop there a lot? Date a girl who who used to work there (or a boy, if you are a girl)? Have some other kind of special memory about the place? 

1 hour ago, IronTiger said:

Pretty sure that the Fiesta in question opened around 1989, not '99

Give yourself a kewpie doll, Iron Tiger! Very good. According to the Business Briefs article in the Oct. 8, 1989 Houston Chronicle:

"Fiesta is constructing a 92,000-square-foot store at the Willowchase Shopping Center at FM 1960 and FM 249."

So it likely opened in either very late 1989 or early 1990. Take a bow, sir.

It is possible the original poster meant 1989 and not 1999. Do note the misspelled title of the thread: Fieopened asta on 1960. Hey,  blue92, I'm not criticizing you because I also seem to be having problems with the HAIF interface typing very slowly  and skipping some letters and words too. So he/she could have meant 1989.

• This topic was featured and unfeatured
19 minutes ago, Firebird65 said:

Give yourself a kewpie doll, Iron Tiger! Very good. According to the Business Briefs article in the Oct. 8, 1989 Houston Chronicle:

"Fiesta is constructing a 92,000-square-foot store at the Willowchase Shopping Center at FM 1960 and FM 249."

So it likely opened in either very late 1989 or early 1990. Take a bow, sir.

It is possible the original poster meant 1989 and not 1999. Do note the misspelled title of the thread: Fieopened asta on 1960. Hey,  blue92, I'm not criticizing you because I also seem to be having problems with the HAIF interface typing very slowly  and skipping some letters and words too. So he/she could have meant 1989.

I grew up in Houston but moved away in 1979 for work, my mother wanted to move back because her only granddaughter lived there and wanted her to move there so she could see her more than she did when she lived in a neighboring state. So we moved to and bought a house in Copperfield that was close to her. While we were there we got a flyer from Fiesta saying their grand opening maybe it said reopening it Was almost 20 years ago, but I was impressed with the store and ending up shopping there quit often. I was just curious if was still opened I live in the DFW area now and have seen several Fiesta stores close or move and was just wondering. 

12 hours ago, Firebird65 said:

. Do note the misspelled title of the thread: Fieopened asta on 1960. Hey,  blue92, I'm not criticizing you because I also seem to be having problems with the HAIF interface typing very slowly  and skipping some letters and words too. So he/she could have meant 1989.

I thought that might be from typing on a laptop with a mouse pad, and accidentally hitting the mouse pad with the thumb while the mouse cursor was positioned after the Fie. That's the sort of error that makes me want to take my work PC apart and disconnect the mouse pad.

10 hours ago, blue92 said:

While we were there we got a flyer from Fiesta saying their grand opening maybe it said reopening it Was almost 20 years ago, but I was impressed with the store and ending up shopping there quit often.

Perhaps they expanded and/or remodeled the store and that's what the 1999 flyer was about? A "reopening" or "grand reopening"? That's certainly possible, even likely. I cannot find any mention of it in the 1999 Houston Chronicle, but that doesn't mean much. The Chronicle doesn't report on everything. If Fiesta didn't put out a press release, then the Chronicle probably didn't even know of it. 

Using the Internet Archive, I went to Fiesta Mart's website as it appeared on April 27, 1999. As with the current website, the 1999 site does not have any press releases. So there's nothing there about any expansion or reopening. Again, that doesn't mean it didn't happen, only that the company didn't say anything about it. The 1999 site does say store 20 is there, that the manager is Don Dalrymple and the beverage mart manager is Humberto. No last name is given, so he must be one of those singular-name stars, like Madonna, Pele or Ronaldo. 

According to the Harris County Appraisal District, Fiesta Mart does not own that site, so they must therefore rent it. Meaning there's no information on the property page about any remodeling as it's simply one part of a larger shopping center. Fiesta Mart does outright own a handful of their locations - such as the original store on Fulton. But not the one at the Willowchase Center.

It is possible to see if in the 1999 newspaper microfilms of the Chronicle and Post if they ran an ad about the store. I do occasionally go to the University of Houston and use their microfilms and will be going again in a few weeks. I used the microfilms to determine exactly when the Kroger I used to work at in high school during the mid-1980s opened (October 1966) and when a nearby theater I used to go to opened (July 1975). If you could give me some kind of range (spring, summer, etc.) of when you think you might have seen this flyer, that would help. Usually it only takes a few minutes to find this stuff if you have some kind of date range to start with. The newspapers always ran grocery store ads on Wednesdays. And grocery store chains normally run company-wide specials whenever a new store opens or is remodeled/expanded.  

12 minutes ago, Ross said:

I thought that might be from typing on a laptop with a mouse pad, and accidentally hitting the mouse pad with the thumb while the mouse cursor was positioned after the Fie. That's the sort of error that makes me want to take my work PC apart and disconnect the mouse pad.

Could well be.  That's one reason I don't use the mousepad on the computer, but a separate, wireless mouse. Plus those laptop mousepads give me symptoms of carpal tunnel syndrome (my fingers and wrist hurt after using it).

As I said, last night I was having problems with this page in that every letter I typed took a long time to show up on the screen and when I went to delete or correct something, likewise the interface was very slow and unwieldy. I'm surprised I didn't have any letters transposed or left out in my post. That could have happened to him as well. Seems to be working fine now, however. 

12 hours ago, Ross said:

That's the sort of error that makes me want to take my work PC apart and disconnect the mouse pad.

You should be able to turn off the touchpad via settings (for Windows, Fn + F9 frequently works depending on which flavor of Windows it's running), unless your workplace has locked out the ability for you to access certain settings. 

• 2 weeks later...

Found it. According to "Real estate briefs" in Houston Chronicle (online access if you have a COH library card, it's free if you live in Texas), I found this snippet. " Fiesta is constructing a 92,000-square-foot store at the Willowchase Shopping Center at FM 1960 and FM 249" from an article in October 1989. The store probably opened in 1990.

5 minutes ago, IronTiger said:

Found it. According to "Real estate briefs" in Houston Chronicle (online access if you have a COH library card, it's free if you live in Texas), I found this snippet. " Fiesta is constructing a 92,000-square-foot store at the Willowchase Shopping Center at FM 1960 and FM 249" from an article in October 1989. The store probably opened in 1990.

I'd already posted that earlier- on Aug. 31. And I complimented you on your memory. You didn't see that?

• The title was changed to Fiesta Opened On FM 1960

Archived