Mysterious "Smokestack" Off FM 1960

IronTiger

So today I went to the Apple store in Willowbrook Mall to get an iPhone screen repaired, and my route took me down FM 1960, which I had really never gone on before. A few interesting sights were there but the most interesting, or at least most unexplained, was a thick metal smokestack at Meadow Vista Blvd. and FM 1960. It is rusty and speckled with graffiti, but it has no attached structure...the last building there on the lot appeared to be a private house demolished sometime in the 1980s...but it wasn't attached to it anyway. The only guess I have that there appears to be a gas conduit running along there, but you wouldn't have a SMOKESTACK for that now would you?

https://www.google.com/maps/@29.9478046,-95.5621505,3a,69.9y,74.35h,78.1t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1shQjPcjP9lsmvZRngNROM-Q!2e0!5s20160901T000000!7i13312!8i6656!6m1!1e1

Google maps images show the post being there even in 2001 with no apparent sign. I guess that if that was the case, it would be one of those close-to-the-ground billboards that populated Houston more plentifully in the past, but if is the diameter so large, large enough that apparently they never bothered removing it, then why are there not more examples?

On Google Earth, there's no evidence that there was sign on it, but the shadows lead me to believe it was once taller. There are no houses on any of the historic aerials on GE. The strip center across 1960 to the West has been there since at least 1978.

35 minutes ago, cspwal said:

Perhaps it is a smoke stack for an underground fallout shelter for that demolished house

That actually seems the most plausible, considering I've been told that the object in question has been there since the 1970s.

• The title was changed to Mysterious "Smokestack" Off FM 1960

Archived