Are there any new roads being constructed in the state of Texas that are not toll roads?

I can't help notice that virtually every title on the first page in this forum has the word toll in it.

Several of our toll roads have been paid off for years and years. Apparently they continue to be tolled to pay for new construction.

If that's the case shouldn't we be seeing some new roads being constructed without any tolls?

12 hours ago, SkylineView said:

https://lmgtfy.com/?q=texas+road+construction

15 hours ago, BigFootsSocks said:

No every single new road, bridge, highway, drive-thru, and parking lot are now being tolled, and your payment is past due sucker

You both seem to be avoiding the question.

Especially skyline. Your google search is the reason I asked the question.

There seems to be no clear info on what percentage of the state highway fund is being used to construct toll roads.

35 minutes ago, kbates2 said:

You're avoiding the question.

No I'm not avoiding it at all.

BigFootSocks said (sarcastically) that every new single road, bridge, drive thru, and parking lot is now being tolled.

He doesn't seem to be too far off. As far as I can tell, there are zero public bridges being constructed that aren't slated to have a toll.

The are zero new highways in concept or currently being constructed that don't involve a toll.

Drive thru's and parking lots have little to do with toll roads so I'm not sure why he is bringing that up. Perhaps to try to derail the thread from the actual topic which is that as far as I can tell; zero public roads are slated for construction that will not include some kind of toll

Correct me if I am wrong...

What I'm getting at is that I keep hearing that the state highway fund can't keep up with growth- which is understandable. However it seems like we should be able to construct at least ONE road entirely from the state highway fund. 

What's being done with this money? Surely it could be used more efficiently.

3 hours ago, VinnyVincent said:

No I'm not avoiding it at all.

BigFootSocks said (sarcastically) that every new single road, bridge, drive thru, and parking lot is now being tolled.

He doesn't seem to be too far off. As far as I can tell, there are zero public bridges being constructed that aren't slated to have a toll.

The are zero new highways in concept or currently being constructed that don't involve a toll.

Drive thru's and parking lots have little to do with toll roads so I'm not sure why he is bringing that up. Perhaps to try to derail the thread from the actual topic which is that as far as I can tell; zero public roads are slated for construction that will not include some kind of toll

Correct me if I am wrong...

Buddy, I am so goddamn serious right now.

There's the ongoing upgrading of US-59 into I-69, which (besides the HOV/HOT lanes already made in Houston) will be an entirely free interstate highway

The new interstate I-14 will go from West Texas to Louisiana via College Station and Huntsville

US 281 is being upgraded to freeway status outside 1604 in San Antonio.  It is a free road

The question was "roads", and yes, that is free. New roads are being built all the time. The better question is "highways", and that's harder. True from-the-ground-up freeways are rare, indeed, but we've either seen all-new highways that aren't officially limited access but have (almost) no stops or freeways from non-limited-access highways. If you drive up from Houston northwest, take note:

- Portions of 290 past the Spring-Cypress Road was just a divided highway toward Fairfield until the mid-2000s

- The entire 290 bypass from Hockley to Hempstead was built from the ground-up in the 1990s. Keep in mind most all-new freeway construction largely ended after the 1970s when federal funding dried up.

- If you head to College Station, the freeway from roughly the Texas World Speedway to Navasota was completely rebuilt from a single road (with two lanes in each direction, a shoulder, and a double yellow stripe) to a full freeway (concrete with high contrast striping, frontage roads, median) completed in 2009.

And these are all free. Oh, there was also Bastrop which completed a freeway upgrade of its main drag around 2007 with new overpasses built since then, Highway 40 in College Station which was completed in 2006 or 2007 (frontage roads only, but it was an all-new road), and that's the only ones I can think of off the top of my head.

I don't know if that will make you happy, though, you seem obsessed over how HCTRA screws free users, but if you've ever driven on the frontage roads of Beltway 8, you'd find that they're as maintained as the tollway part and better than most of Houston's surface streets, even if they do have stoplights.

Archived