The Flexhouse - The future of urban homes?

I've heard of homes like these! Very interesting stuff. Much more sophisticated :P I also like one concept which has started to rise and that is the "mini" apartment. I'm sure you can google it and get something out of it. All the examples are maxing out room in small spaces but with a greater finesse than the simple low grade townhomes and expansive suburban mcmansions that dominate not only in Houston, but everywhere. 

Where is the parking? Where is the storage space for fishing/hunting/camping equipment, bicycles, seasonal decorations, etc? I don't see any coat closets or pantry space either, although there is a difference between the floor plans and the pictures, with the plans showing a closet under the stairs.

The plans aren't awful, but there's no way we could live in one. We are constrained now with a 1400 sq ft 2-1 with a garage.

I see where they're going with this, but I did have to chuckle at the renderings populating a "simpler..not as fussy..smaller" house with Eames and Noguchi furniture.

There might well be a sub-movement toward smaller, simpler homes, but to Ross's point, most people are still going to want parking and lots of storage space.

I watched "Tiny," a movie about the tiny house movement, the other night. It was kind of inspirational, in that the story centered on an inexperienced DIY'er with a fuzzy dissatisfaction with the accroutements of modern life: "'I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn ...," etc. It was interesting to see how people rose to the spatial challenge, and to catalog all the things they had evidently decided they had no need of. The tiny houses didn't have much on RVs, though, beyond aesthetics.

The movie showed a world without children. Not that that's entirely unappealing, mind, but I just realized that what the tiny house movement most resembles is the Shakers.

Archived