White Terrazzo Floors

Dream

I want to go look at samples of existing white terrazzo floors. Can you think of locations around Houston with great examples of perfect terrazzo floors?

Like the Exxon building in downtown Houston. I'm considering putting these into my new house.

Thanks,

Dream

• 1 month later...

Contact Ms. Lee Ann Hill with Southwest Terrazzo Association, 713-201-6592. She can point you toward some examples in the area. She gave a presentation last month at the Heritage Society on the subject of great terrazzo installations around Houston. I commend you for wanting to use terrazzo in your home. It is beautiful and will last virtually forever with minimum maintenance.

Are you looking for residential examples or commercial/ office examples? It is fairly difficult to find a company willing to pour new terrazzo in a residential application. I did a remodel of a MCM in Meyerland this summer and it took quite an effort simply to find a contractor who could patch my existing terrazzo and pour two relatively small (about 100 sq ft) areas to match. The other thing you may want to consider is the cost. My house has about 2500 sq ft of terrazzo and all three of the contractors I had bid on grinding and polishing it commented on how no one would pay to have it poured now. They each estimated the cost of pouring it new at around $30-45 a square foot. That being said -- it is incredibly easy to take care of, and IMHO nothing looks better in a MCM or modern than terrazzo.

It is easy to find terrazzo downtown in some of the older office buildings and a couple of the courthouses (the federal courthouse on Rusk has 11 floors of it) but all white terrazzo is pretty rare. Do you mean white base with other colored marble chips, or white base with white marble chips?

It is fairly difficult to find a company willing to pour new terrazzo in a residential application. The other thing you may want to consider is the cost. My house has about 2500 sq ft of terrazzo and all three of the contractors I had bid on grinding and polishing it commented on how no one would pay to have it poured now. They each estimated the cost of pouring it new at around $30-45 a square foot. That being said -- it is incredibly easy to take care of, and IMHO nothing looks better in a MCM or modern than terrazzo.

I have to agree with njmays, expect a pretty high initial cost. Epoxy terrazzo might be an alternative to consider over cementitious terrazzo (uses an epoxy matrix instead of portland cement-based matrix). It shouldn't cost any more and it might be easier to find a contractor willing to do a residential project. Once again, Southwest Terrazzo Association is the best source of information. It is a trade association and does not represent any one manufacturer or contractor.

• 2 weeks later...

We've had several houses with terrazzo built in. The last one was design/built by my father for my grandparents in 1964 in Glenbrook Valley. Longevity depends upon the quality of the foundation and installer. They hold up to lots of little boys on steel roller skates, wagons, inumerable dog "accidents", droped plates/cups, thrown plates/cups/glasses, flower pots (fixed/overwatered and mobile), crashing fully loaded Christmas trees, kids in metal baseball/football cleats, golf shoes, and dragging pianos and sofas with minimal impact. Why do you think they use them in high traffic public spaces? It will definitely be THE only floor you put in.

The residencial tradescape has since evolved into a lowest bidder litigious spiral causing the best trades to only do commercial where client's are more rationally managed. When you find a good trade with a reputation and verifyable history, make descisions, hire them, and let them do their job.

I wish the people we used were still around (they've become VERY retired now), but trades that are good members of the trade association above mentioned will be your bet current bet.

• 8 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...

I am sure you have found them by now but if not this house in Tanglewood has them. They refurbished the originals and matched them where needed. They are hosting an Open House on Oct. 3rd from 12-2 so you could get a peek. 6127 Riverview Way.  The Builder Dewey Hennessee with Matt Powers Homes will be there to speak on the project. It has just been almost completely rebuilt in 2013 by said builder and Architect Tom Hurt.

http://www.har.com/HomeValue/dispSoldDetail.cfm?MLNUM=58625064

Archived