IronTiger

Favorite Defunct Restaurants

IronTiger    723
Post Oak Mall food court, 1984:

2ia4y9y.jpg

Pepe's, Ken Martin's, Orange Julius, The Great Hot Dog Experience!

Holy crap! Where did you find that? I'm pretty sure the Orange Julius is now the other entrance to American Eagle, but a look at my own picture vs. the current mall directory, the entrance to the restrooms changed. Let's see, the Orange Julius was basically gutted between American Eagle Outfitters and the restroom entrance, and Pepe's and Ken Martin's combined into the current Taste of the Tropics space. Or something like that if you went to the same space today, you would only Taste of the Tropics, American Eagle, and the restroom entrance.

Although I'm sad that such places no longer exist in the mall today and today's food court spaces totally suck...

...for today, you are my hero. Thank you.

Scotch    62

I only go to the mall about once every year or two, but last time I was there and went to the food court, the restroom entrance at Post Oak Mall was the same.

rcj0618    0
I only go to the mall about once every year or two, but last time I was there and went to the food court, the restroom entrance at Post Oak Mall was the same.

I very seldom go to the mall as well, but looking at that picture, isn't the restroom entrance to the right of the Orange Julius, and the old arcade on the other side?

I think Sonic is now where Orange Julius was. According to the map on the Post Oak Mall website, Taste of the Tropics is in the Ken Martin's spot, Roman Delight is where Pepe's was, and Manchu Wok is in the Hot Dog Experience location.

Geozia    0

Frank's Place on University Ave. My wife and I had our first date there in 1990.

J.T. McCords on Texas Ave. I used to live in the Apt's right behind there and would walk over for a beer from time to time.

There was a pool hall on Texas Aveneue just north of University.... Kind of next to Fajita Ritas. Can't remember the name.

I did eat at the Texan in about 1987. It was good, but what a dive! Hard to believe it was ever really 5 stars.

Used to eat lunch at Brazos Landing in Northgate. Also went there for some great live music at night.

Hey! What about the Flying Tomato Pizza??? That's long gone, isn't it?

IronTiger    723
Hey! What about the Flying Tomato Pizza??? That's long gone, isn't it?

WHOA! I just threw away a frisbee featuring the long gone restaurant! So that's how it came into our family's possession...

Edited by IronTiger

IronTiger    723

Also, does ANYBODY know the name of the Chinese place where 2nd Chance Resale is on Wellborn now?

Scotch    62
Frank's Place on University Ave. My wife and I had our first date there in 1990.

There was a pool hall on Texas Aveneue just north of University.... Kind of next to Fajita Ritas. Can't remember the name.

Frank's Place has been Fox & Hound for many years now, Yesterday's pool hall is still between Luby's and the old Fajita Rita's(been through a few name changes, still a Tex-Mex place).

Edited by Scotch

IronTiger    723
WHOA! I just threw away a frisbee featuring the long gone restaurant! So that's how it came into our family's possession...

I managed to save the Flying Tomato frisbee from a garage sale. I can take a picture...then put it on the HAIF Buy/Sell board.

IronTiger    723

I read that The Boat reopened with a new theme and new name. But it was something else before that.

Scotch    62

Shipwreck Grill is the new name for The Boat, the location opened as Captain's Seafood.

IronTiger    723

One of my colleagues mentioned a two-level buffet on Villa Maria, now defunct. Anyone know what that was?

Scotch    62

That was China Garden, in an old Mr. Gatti's. You entered on the ground level and then there was a larger sunken level. As a Mr. Gatti's, there was a projector TV at one end of the restaurant.

It closed then a few years later was torn down to make way for a gas station, which lasted a few years, that was torn down for the current Walgreens at Texas and Villa Maria.

(2015 edit: I believe the China Garden building may have lasted longer than I said. I believe only the Soundwaves buildings were demolished for the gas station, and then the China Garden building and the gas station torn down for the Walgreens.)

Edited by Scotch

IronTiger    723

Hmm...I must be confusing it with the nearby China Wok, which used to be a chicken place called Golden Chick.

IronTiger    723

I've heard on MyBCS that the Chinese place that occupied the place where the thrift store is (on Wellborn Road near Luther) was called Shirley Ping's. Does that sound right? I remember being in it a long time ago, but don't recall the name (it closed in the mid-1990s). An even-more-unconfirmed rumor is that the building shared occupancy with a *** bar (called Astropides) back in the 1970s/1980s.

(EDIT: Apparently the site doesn't like the common three-letter word for "homosexual", the one that starts with G)

Edited by IronTiger

Scotch    62

Odd that *** bar would be censored. I think I heard that there was indeed one there. Somewhere in that area was a place called Fish Richard's that seemed to be very popular as well.

Edited by Scotch

Nate99    6214

The Deluxe Diner on University and Wellborn was a staple my freshman year. I ate there every Sunday night in the fall so I could watch the NFL game on ESPN. The nice Greek lady that ran the place would keep bringing me vanilla Cokes.

They had great breakfast too. Not sure when they closed up, but I know that they were open in '06 or '07. I don't think they had changed a thing the entire time.

Simbha    60

My wife and I had a favorite called, simply, Asian Restaurant. It was located at/near the intersection of Richmond and Weslayan. The owner was a man named Tom - very friendly and knowledgeable - and the food was always good. The cuisine appeared to be American-style Chinese with some other dishes thrown in. My wife, a vegetarian, loved the way he fried the tofu.

Alas, Asian Restaurant went away along with the strip center to make room for the Edwards that's there now.

IronTiger    723

The Deluxe Diner on University and Wellborn was a staple my freshman year. I ate there every Sunday night in the fall so I could watch the NFL game on ESPN. The nice Greek lady that ran the place would keep bringing me vanilla Cokes.

They had great breakfast too. Not sure when they closed up, but I know that they were open in '06 or '07. I don't think they had changed a thing the entire time.

...except the food went downhill. My sister's friend had one of the worse job experiences of her life there, as well.

Add Ken Martin's Steakhouse/Ken Martin's Safari Grill to that list.

doodle    0

We were retread students through the last half of the 70s, and several of the places mentioned bring back great memories.  The Texan definitely was a top tier restaurant but the digs were never the draw.  Fantastic menu with dishes from all over the world.  Great seafood and the Silver Lining Salad was unbeatable.  Pelican's Wharf was a delight with a good menu and great salads.  And there was a place east of town, maybe thirty miles or so, called the Hilltop Herb Farm.  They grew their own produce and had wonderful organic meals, not the bland sort of thing that we (I) normally associate with the term "organic". 

For a long time after we left, we'd make the occasional drive of several hundred miles to dine at the Texan.  What a loss to the region when it closed.

My2ply    0

Just found this thread. I think I'm older than most of the commenters on this thread, but... I remember The Texan, and I believe the nice restaurant on Texas near the mall at Villa Maria was the Captain's Table. We loved the Farmer's Market at Northgate. Could also get a reasonable CFS at the Claim Jumper in the strip center on Old College at University on the north end. Also, an IHOP and Mr. Gattis at that intersection by the stoplight. Two nice restaurants for special occasions were TJs at 707 Texas and Fish Richards on Welborn south of campus in an old house. Hamburgers at DSP-Dead Solid Perfect and Delux Burger also known as the Slut Hut. Moms in Bryan had home cooked food out of her house. Last National Bank was actually a restaurant not a bar. I was there in the 70s-80s before the Post Oak mall was built.