Fresno

dmizzle

I've been looking into moving in that area, as I am a first-time home buyer. I like Pearland, but it's a little too pricey for me, and I'm looking for a one-story home since I'm single. I'm familiar with the SW side of town, so that's what I'd prefer. I'm looking at Fresno since it doesn't seem to offer too ridiculous of a commute time, and I work downtown. Any thoughts or opinions?

Fresno is what Katy proper was 35 years ago. A very small, rural town that's starting to see the wave of single-family developments. However, a lot of the catalyst for growth in Fresno is coming from Missouri City rather than Pearland (Sienna Plantation, for example) but you are right... you don't have such a large, prestigious and in-demand development like Shadow Creek Ranch in Fresno proper, and most of the new developments on the Fresno side are along HWY 6 and over towards the Missouri City side, so prices are more reasonable.

Be warned, though... the commute time on SH 288 into the city is getting worse every few months and FM 521 isn't all that great of a second option. The Fort Bend Parkway isn't that far away but of course you have to pay tolls and, frankly, traffic still gets you once the it merges with US 90-A.

Also, the amenities aren't really in Fresno (nearby shopping of any particular note, doctor's offices, etc, etc) just yet because it's still very smallish in nature, so you'll want to consider that as well.

Fresno has a lot of cheap new houses that are going to start falling apart within the next decade. From what I heard many of the residents are the ones that got money for their shotgun houses in developing areas in Houston. Its a ghetto fabulous burb. Also the main road, 521 @ Hwy 6 looks like your in East Texas without any natural beauty. If you like it out their, stick with Pearland.

Fresno is unincorporated, so its boundaries are not well-defined. All of the area though to be Fresno is in Fort Bend ISD.

Two elementary schools, Goodman and Burton, are said to be in Fresno. Fresno residents continue to Baines Middle School and Hightower High School.

Fresno has a lot of cheap new houses that are going to start falling apart within the next decade. From what I heard many of the residents are the ones that got money for their shotgun houses in developing areas in Houston. Its a ghetto fabulous burb. Also the main road, 521 @ Hwy 6 looks like your in East Texas without any natural beauty. If you like it out their, stick with Pearland.

Why do you say that? There are a couple of neighborhoods that are very established, like Teal Run. That neighborhood has been around for at least 10 years, and it's been expanding lately. Also, Rodeo Palms seems decent (which I believe is in Fresno, not Pearland.)

Why do you say that? There are a couple of neighborhoods that are very established, like Teal Run. That neighborhood has been around for at least 10 years, and it's been expanding lately. Also, Rodeo Palms seems decent (which I believe is in Fresno, not Pearland.)

Teal Run... You may have just made the point. Teal Run is g-fab, the houses are big, but not all high quality. There are a lot of foreclosures, which i've heard ard due to shady lending practices arranged by the builders.

How is the cost of land out there? Pretty cheap? I guess the key would be to buy an area of land or lot for cheap and build your own custom home.

I grew up in Briargate when Fresno was nothing but a pasture....if I'm buying a home..no way will it be in Fresno...it's becoming what Briargate, Ridgemeont, etc. was in the 80s except the houses aren't built as well and the infrastructure isn't developed.

Everyone I know is out there in Fresno living in homes that are overpriced...you do better staying in Briargate in an older, bigger home for less cash and better access out the neighborhood. My parents have yet to move and house has tripled in value with the improvements and no MUD taxes.

Teal Run is Briargate South now with all the former residents moving out there....might as well stay at home.

• 1 month later...

Not to sound biased, but I did live in Fresno for 14 yrs, and there is not much out there. A little known fact is that Fresno is a cancer cluster (Champions Technologies). In my neighboorhood alone (East Dallas and Laurel) we have had 4 people die from cancer within months of each other - My father, my neighboors husband, and two ladies in our area both had uterian cancer one dying before she even knew she was sick.

Also because of its location between Missouri City and Pearland, both cities are veying to buy as much land as possible so that they have majority. Already Pearlands reaches encompass most of FM 521 and parts of E Dallas/CR 59. From halfway down 521 towards Fresno, north to McHard, east to 288 (and further). Cut from 521 to CR 48 (corner at 48 and 59) east on CR 59 to 288, all this area is now considered Pearland. The only are that is encompassed by Missouri City is Teal Run and west on Hwy 6. When ever anyone asks me about moving out there I tell them no.

Fresno.doc

• The title was changed to Fresno