Santa Clara Plaza At Lawndale St. & Dismuke St.

This mysterious shopping center seems to never really get off the ground. It has been over 5 years since they started creating what was supposed to be a very busy little mall like shopping center. There is the huge empty gated/parking area in back complete with nice landscaping and curbs/sidewalks.

This new facility sits on what was years ago the University of Houston Arts Annex, where they used to have live rock bands and crazy frat/college parties. Once it went away this place was built years later. I spoke to the owner/developer once while he was supervising the crew said had big plans that was 4-5 yrs ago. Once I attended the town hall meeting at the convent and someone said the owner (person I spoke to) had a heart attack and that things were in limbo. Maybe the leasing/rental is just too expensive?

All that is visible is a Dentist office and a small clinic. Other than that its a huge white shell of a building. Kind of like what if you threw a party and nobody came?!

Whats a real drag is they tore down several perfectly fine 1930-40's traditional/colonial styled 2 story homes for this vast empty parking area. I attempted to salvage anything, mantels, newel posts but by the time I got back from work they were both a big heap of timber. Ratsss....

This mysterious shopping center seems to never really get off the ground. It has been over 5 years since they started creating what was supposed to be a very busy little mall like shopping center. There is the huge empty gated/parking area in back complete with nice landscaping and curbs/sidewalks.

This new facility sits on what was years ago the University of Houston Arts Annex, where they used to have live rock bands and crazy frat/college parties. Once it went away this place was built years later. I spoke to the owner/developer once while he was supervising the crew said had big plans that was 4-5 yrs ago. Once I attended the town hall meeting at the convent and someone said the owner (person I spoke to) had a heart attack and that things were in limbo. Maybe the leasing/rental is just too expensive?

All that is visible is a Dentist office and a small clinic. Other than that its a huge white shell of a building. Kind of like what if you threw a party and nobody came?!

Whats a real drag is they tore down several perfectly fine 1930-40's traditional/colonial styled 2 story homes for this vast empty parking area. I attempted to salvage anything, mantels, newel posts but by the time I got back from work they were both a big heap of timber. Ratsss....

Harris County Appraisal District shows an Investment company on 75th as owners. Interesting, this property address is Hillman St., not Lawndale. Seems I remember something @ a Doctor on 75th St building this Plaza. UH art annex was still there @ early 1990s. I was so disappointed when it moved as I was of the opinion the art annex would be the thing to turn Sunnylan area around. Housing was very very affordable when annex was there. I can't remember when this building became art anex or what was there previous to the art annex. I loved seeing some of the art cars running the streets in the area.

• 8 months later...

Is it possible leasing out at this place is just too expensive? There is enough room on this property for:

A Cleaner's

Donut/Bagel/coffee shop

Community center

Hair salon

Doctors office

fast food

etc,

Huge parking lot in back has sat empty for years now. real waste. What give's? :(

• 4 weeks later...
Is it possible leasing out at this place is just too expensive? There is enough room on this property for:

A Cleaner's

Donut/Bagel/coffee shop

Community center

Hair salon

Doctors office

fast food

etc,

Huge parking lot in back has sat empty for years now. real waste. What give's? :(

Update:

Same owner of Plaza Santa Clara has demolished old house across the street (Dismuke side) and placed new sidewalks all on the same corner.

Not sure if he is the same person that brought down the old store/tire shop (Lawndale/Dismuke) but I applaud him!

Keep it going! This person has vision! :lol:

• The title was changed to Santa Clara Plaza At Lawndale St. & Dismuke St.

Archived