looking for a new home

TerraPass

looking for a new home for a young family with kids. and grand-parents.

is there any MPC with ADU/Guest home as part of their plans. it doesn't have to be a brand new home...a few years older is fine too.

looking at lake harbour shores and sienna plantations but really like telfair as there is UH/MFAH and hospital nearby.

any of you have any reccommendation for a seasoned realtor that is knowledgeable that may assist us in finding a home?

what is the rule of thumb? looking at $/Sq/Ft? or ......

thanks so much.

ziprealty.com is excellent as well. They have a really cool map and aerial search so you can look at specific neighborhoods and the listings pop up based on the extent of the map. They seem to have the full public mls and, what I really like, they show you the asking price history and days on market so you can be informed about the market and the property. Worth a look.

• 3 months later...

First Post (Long Time Lurker):

I am also looking at Telfair. I really like some of the planning and homes, but my concern is if there are plans in the future to build sub $260K homes in the area. My fear is that if I move into a $550-$600K home in Telfair now before the area is fully built out. I might get burned in 3 years if some lower priced home are built thus depressing my home's value. Anyone know the full plans of Telfair? I know there is going to be multiple sections, but everything past the first section is not clear. There will be patio homes south of 59, but what about the main Telfair area?

My wife and I are also looking to move into established areas in First Colony: Avalon, Sweetwater, Commonwealth, etc.

I will just say this. I would NEVER move into Telfair, because I wouldn't want LearJets flying over my house at ANYTIME during the day.

I currently live in Sugar Land near the airport, and hardly ever notice any sound from the planes that land or take off from Sugar Land Municipal airport (about 300 flight take off from SLM daily). I don't think that would be an issue. I hear more noise from hwy 6 at night.

Another question:

Perry Homes is one of the builders in the area, any idea how good this builder is? I know they have been around for 20-30 years, but how have their homes held up? I currently live in a Brighton Home (not that well made. I would not buy another Brighton Home ever)

Telfair is directly in the flight pattern, takeoffs nonetheless. I also lived by the airport, in Summerfield, from 2001 to 2003, it was one of the reasons why I moved. I was not so much worried about the noise as I was having a plane crash into my home.

Dont really have much of an advice in that area, but I suggest you to do your research on the builders and the area. Once you narrow down the builders check BBB.com, HADD.com to see what kind of complaints(if any) are reported against them. I think perry, brighton, royce etc have tons of complaints and are generally not advised. One of the builder's sales person I spoke to compared themselves with David Powers (I consider that kind of peer praise a good sign even though I saw some complaints against david powers). Other builders I saw zero or very few complaints against are Terramark, Highland House , J Patrick and Sterling. Good luck and let us know how it works out for you.

Perry is one of the good builders...

Perry still does not use radiant barriers or ridge vents. I would be leary of a builder who doesn't cover the basics but talks about granite and stainless steel appliances.

Perry still does not use radiant barriers or ridge vents.
ridge vents aren't all that especially on roofs where the actual ridge is a limited size like hipped roofs. i do like radiant barriers but if your attic ventilation is good, it may be an expense that isn't needed. Most builders do things to short change a buyer. most buyers only care about looks and not what is behind the walls unfortunately.

Perry still does not use radiant barriers or ridge vents. I would be leary of a builder who doesn't cover the basics but talks about granite and stainless steel appliances.

I'm building a house with Perry and they do use radiant barriers and ridge vents (and a temperture controlled attic fan). In addition I've had it inspected twice so far by Criterium-Farrell (foundation and cornice) and both times the inspector said it was well above average work.

Archived