Downtown Lubbock Renovation

Tex2129

There are not too many visuals for the project yet, but this is going to be great for Lubbock. They are planning on a complete redo of the downtown area; adding new parks, fixing up the streets, six screen historic looking movie theatre, clean up the depot district and art district, and even possibly putting in the long talked about minor league baseball field right in downtown. Another big item is a 6000-7000 seat arena for rodeos and possibly the Cotton Kings. They want to move city buildings together and build a welcome center to Lubbock. A lot of it is still up in the air but it is certain that alot of it will be done.

They are also looking at possibly even taking down old buildings for new office building, residential, and stores to move in. I do not know an awful lot about it yet since it is still in the earlier stages.

The website doesn't offer much now. The next public meeting for the project will be in April.

http://downtown.ci.lubbock.tx.us/

What about helping the not-so-great and merely mediocre visitors? :lol:

Seriously, I like the idea of this. My family is all out there in Lubbock and the surrounding area and there are some really nice parts of Lubbock, just not downtown. The thing about development in Lubbock is that downtown is not very centrally located, at all, so no one spends money there - all of the nice stuff is south and southwest. But the problem for visitors is that to get to the south and southwest from the airport, they have to go through downtown and their first impression of the city isn't that great. Making downtown Lubbock look nicer and more updated would certainly help with this.

Archived