Housing Help

Houston101

Hello,

I just moved to Houston from New York last month and was hoping for some house hunting advice. I am living in an apartment currently while I look for a house. I want to live inside the loop and was looking to live somewhere where I could at least walk to a few places. I know Houston is more of a car city, but I would at least like a few walking options. I like the area around Rice but an acquaintance told me to absolutley avoid anything east of Kirby. At the time I did not ask her to elaborate, but as I do my own research I am not sure I really buy that adivce. Driving around and looking on HAR, the area just north of Rice and east of Kirby (and even east of Greenbriar) appears to be really nice. The home prices sure dont seem to support the notion that one side is better than the other.

Is there something I am missing? Is it some kind of snob appeal where the residents of West University neighborhood look down on those "poor" folks east of Kirby. Is there a flood plain east of Kirby? Bad schools on the east side? Any advice is welcomed!

Thanks!

Hello,

I just moved to Houston from New York last month and was hoping for some house hunting advice. I am living in an apartment currently while I look for a house. I want to live inside the loop and was looking to live somewhere where I could at least walk to a few places. I know Houston is more of a car city, but I would at least like a few walking options. I like the area around Rice but an acquaintance told me to absolutley avoid anything east of Kirby. At the time I did not ask her to elaborate, but as I do my own research I am not sure I really buy that adivce.

Perhaps she meant to say avoid anything west of Kirby, which would also be my advice.

Houston101,

Welcome to Houston first off. Second off find a good and knowledgeable realtor to assist with you along with this forum. There are many realtor's and knowledgeable individuals on here that will provide you a wealth of insight and advice to the areas you inquire about.

Not sure about the East of Kirby comment your co-worker made. East of 288 I could see depending upon your needs and how comfortable you are with an area that is growing/changing/upgrading/gentrification etc... If you could share what your needs, wants, and budget are you will most likely gain quite a few responses from all of us.

Again welcome to Houston, it's a great city to live in.

Scharpe St Guy

Welcome to Houston. I moved here 5 years from Toronto and have come to truly enjoy everthing that it has to offer. You are absolutely right, definetely more of a driving city, but there are great neighborhoods where restaurants, bars, shopping etc. are easily accessible. West Gray, Rice Blvd, Montrose, Museum District and now Rice Military, Highland Village, even downtown. Each is very different.

I agree, my suggestion is also to work with a realtor and let them know your criteria. Are you looking for more contemporary living? Family? Need a big yard? Schools? Short term/long term purchase?

If you share a little about your needs and price range considerations, certainly a lot of folks in here can help. If you would like some suggestions for great realtors, let me know. I'm in the business (work for a builder in the sugar land area) and know some folks that can help you.

Good luck!!

Thanks for the responses. I am married with no kids, although expanding the family may happen down the road. So far I like West University, Southampton, Boulevard Oaks, Oak Estates, and Avalon Place. Any opinion on one verses another? For example I don't really see any differences between Southampton and Boulevard Oaks (other than one bearing the name of an Enron partnership) but I may be missing something.

I am pretty sure we could be happy with most of the homes in these areas, so I am trying to narrow down neighborhood first.

Thanks!

All of those areas are really nice. I don't think you would be unhappy with any of them. Oak Estates would give you walking access to Highland Village, which would be nice. Of course there is also a lot of "cut-through" traffic on Drexel, so if you are too close to that entrance you will have to contend with "spill over" parking during the Christmas shopping season, plus all the traffic there in general. It seems like it would be a little bit of a hassle dealing with it to get a gallon of gas, a loaf of bread, & going to work every day. But you do have great access to Central Market, the Galleria, and Highland Village.

There really isn't much difference in Boulevard Oaks and Southampton proper. I would go with whichever house you liked better. Personally I like the feel of that area better. Seems a little calmer than around Oak Estates or Avalon. I would consider Southampton and Boulevard Oaks a cut above West U, although others might disagree, so that is a matter of personal tastes and perceptions. West U's newer houses seem so poorly proportioned to the lots (generally) compared to the vintage homes of Avalon, Southampton and Boulevard Oaks. I also think the areas closer to the museums have a certain old neighborhood charm/patina that is lacking in West U. West U is very popular though. If you fell in love with a house there, I certainly don't think you would be unhappy with it, personally I just like the other areas better. With any of these you have great access to the Rice Village area, the University is a great place to go jogging too. Of course further east gives you better access to the Museums and Hermann Park.

A lot of people don't realize Avalon is not River Oaks. Of course people in River Oaks know. I had a relative that lived on Locke several years ago. At that time there were a lot of families in their 40's and 50's. Very friendly. That gets you close to a lot of things too. Upper Kirby has the Whole Foods, there is the River Oaks shopping Center and everything on Westheimer. The houses on the south side of Locke Lane are across a back street from an apartment complex that kind of limits their privacy. Plus, there is a lot of redevelopment at the Kirby and Westheimer intersection with new mid or hi-rises I believe. That apartment complex could very easily end up being replaced with a hi-rise. Just look to the north of Avalon at the Huntington breathing down the necks of the people living on the north side of the subdivision. I think it is Ella Lee that is a "cut through" street, turning into Fairview. So that street may have more traffic. I think Avalon may also be one, plus the houses on the north side of Avalon st. back up to apartments which may or may not be there in the future. Just be careful what you are adjacent to when buying in there.

Don't listen to your co-worker. The ONLY thing I can think of is that she thinks that living in West University Place (West of Kirby) is better than living in the city of Houston (east of Kirby).

That said, most longtime Houstonians will tell you that East of Kirby is better than West of Kirby, especially if you are looking for walkable neighborhoods.

When I relocated to Houston from Boston a few years ago, I purchased in Southampton. I was able to walk to the Rice Village Arcade, use the jogging trail to walk around the Rice U Loop, and walk to the Museum District from my home. You can also utilize Hermann Park as a place to get on the light rail as well.

While folks in West U like to talk about walking to the Rice Village Arcade, few actually do. Crossing Kirby on foot is not a pleasant experience. Additionally, West U is losing its character as the builder home invasion has meant that probably 75% of the original homes are now gone and have been replaced by and large with boring spec homes. The East side of Kirby has much more interesting structures with many original homes still being loved and far fewer spec homes ruining the landscape.

Additionally, if you live EAST of Kirby, you can avoid US 59 and the feeder streets when you do drive. Living East of Kirby means you can use the bridges over US 59 to connect with Montrose, River Oaks, and Upper Kirby areas.

I have NO DOUBTS that with what you are wanting, you should purchase EAST of Kirby.

Good question...

I just moved to Houston from New York last month and was hoping for some house hunting advice.

hey, then land values in excess of $50/sqft won't scare you! ;-)

I want to live inside the loop and was looking to live somewhere where I could at least walk to a few places.
Really, there isn't all that much to walk to in this area. I live in Southgate (east of Greenbriar, west of Main, north of Holcombe, south of University) and walk to the Village once in a while, and run on Rice campus. I used to walk to MetroRail, which was fine, but the Med Center is a grungy, unpleasant place to walk. West U has good sidewalks, Southgate does not.
I like the area around Rice but an acquaintance told me to absolutley avoid anything east of Kirby. At the time I did not ask her to elaborate, but as I do my own research I am not sure I really buy that adivce. Driving around and looking on HAR, the area just north of Rice and east of Kirby (and even east of Greenbriar) appears to be really nice. The home prices sure dont seem to support the notion that one side is better than the other.

If you like neighborhoods filled to the setback with homogeneous McMansions, then yes, by all means, restrict yourself to West U. ;-)

Seriously, I have no idea what your friend means. If you want upside, the area east of Kirby is better than West U, because it is rapidly starting to look like West U. Lots of spec builds. Here is an estimate of land values:

land_market_value_west_u_2007_02_07.gif

Land value is tricky to estimate, but I think the graph is roughly correct. Notice a strong jump in land values when you cross Kirby. Land values in Southampton (if you can't spot it, let me know) are basically as high as in West U. Southgate's land values are still < $50/sqft in some sections, but catching up with West U quickly. The Braeswood area (south of Bellaire) is another West U crossover area, but check the flood plain!

Is there something I am missing? Is it some kind of snob appeal where the residents of West University neighborhood look down on those "poor" folks east of Kirby. Is there a flood plain east of Kirby? Bad schools on the east side? Any advice is welcomed!

Yes, definite snob appeal! Flooding issues are primarily in Braeswood. Schools are all HISD. Southgate/Morningside Place have Roberts Elementary, Southampton/Boulevard Oaks has Poe Elementary. Both are excellent. Pershing MS is fine. Bellaire HS is seen as the best HS in the area, and this boosts Bellaire's values.

Have fun!

Edited by mpbro