I live off W 15th St. in an older house. Last week, there was a constant gurgling and knocking sound coming from the kitchen sink, washer and bathroom. Did anyone experience this issue? My neighbor experienced the same thing. We called the City to check it out and they found no issues with the sewer line. They suggested it was related to our older homes missing a "sewer cleanout".

I live off W 15th St. in an older house. Last week, there was a constant gurgling and knocking sound coming from the kitchen sink, washer and bathroom. Did anyone experience this issue? My neighbor experienced the same thing. We called the City to check it out and they found no issues with the sewer line. They suggested it was related to our older homes missing a "sewer cleanout".

Was there an odor as well? The p-trap usually prevents sewer gas from coming inside and instead it vents out the plumbing stacks.

was it literally coming from the washer or the pipe behind the washer?

i know the city has recently had a problem with residents and businesses throwing excessive amounts of grease down the drain. This causes blocks in the line and the city is forced to come out and rotorouter the problem.

I had what sounds like the same problem. Eventually, my drain line backed up into my bathtub. I had a plumber come out and snake my drain line, and that cleared it right up. Well worth the $100 or so. I had probably already spend at least $50 on different "Drainos", so do yourself a favor and call the plumber now.

Thanks for the reply. There was no odor associated with it. I could only hear the sound coming from the kitchen and washer drains. We also saw a puddle of water forming around the driveway sidewalk everytime this sound occurred.

the puddle of water sounds interesting because it should be a closed system. but like the previous poster said, snake it out yourself or call a plumber to do it. if after a few weeks it happens again, your lines may be older and made out of clay. these crack and get roots in them very easily which blocks flow.

a coworker here told me that he had problems once and the cable company had ended up drilling through his main drain when installing cable in the neighborhood. he found the problem himself, called the cable company and they actually paid to fix it.

Edited by musicman

• The title was changed to Plumbing Noises