College Station Transportation Plan

aggie0083

Overpasses in the middle of town would be weird, but if it significantly improves traffic flow, it should be left on the table.

As a Bryanite, the improvments to College Main are of most interest. I must commend College Station on the improvements on that side of the line, Bryan should have improved College Main fifteen years ago, not 10 years in the future. At least private companies are doing their part with the great Aggie Station andCampus Lodge apartments on Welborn Rd.

Overpasses in the middle of town would be weird, but if it significantly improves traffic flow, it should be left on the table.

As a Bryanite, the improvments to College Main are of most interest. I must commend College Station on the improvements on that side of the line, Bryan should have improved College Main fifteen years ago, not 10 years in the future. At least private companies are doing their part with the great Aggie Station andCampus Lodge apartments on Welborn Rd.

I agree with the College Main comment. It seems like with just a little impovement on the Bryan side they could have attracted more large scale residential development in that area over the years with it being so close to campus and Northgate.

I wonder if they still have the underpass at Welborn and George Bush in the plans.

yeah, it's still in the plans. It's gonna be crap with overpasses on campus at Wellborn and Old Main, Wellborn and Joe Routt, and Wellborn and Bush. Anywhere a street crosses the railroad, there will be an overpass.

BTW, have any of you noticed that they have started the clearing on Hwy. 6 for the freeway widening?

Well I'm glad they're starting on SH 6, however, does anyone know the conclusion they came to as to whether they will toll it? Either way, College Station may get a toll road soon. Someone with the city mentioned that SH 40 (basically a new freeway from the Greens Prairie exit on SH 6 to Wellborn Rd. and maybe up to Harvey Mitchell) has a better chance of being tolled than SH 6.

The Under passes--I think that they will look a lot like the ped underpass at Kyle, which is good. However, that vehicular traffic has to go somewhere since direct access between Wellborn and those streets will end. I personally think that Olsen and Coke will have much more traffic, which I don't like at all. Wellborn is a state highway and should have heavier traffic, however Olsen and Coke are interior campus streets and with more traffic will work against the pedestrian campus vision, IMO.

Well I'm glad they're starting on SH 6, however, does anyone know the conclusion they came to as to whether they will toll it?  Either way, College Station may get a toll road soon.  Someone with the city mentioned that SH 40 (basically a new freeway from the Greens Prairie exit on SH 6 to Wellborn Rd. and maybe up to Harvey Mitchell) has a better chance of being tolled than SH 6.

The Under passes--I think that they will look a lot like the ped underpass at Kyle, which is good.  However, that vehicular traffic has to go somewhere since direct access between Wellborn and those streets will end.  I personally think that Olsen and Coke will have much more traffic, which I don't like at all.  Wellborn is a state highway and should have heavier traffic, however Olsen and Coke are interior campus streets and with more traffic will work against the pedestrian campus vision, IMO.

The Underpasses--Maybe I'm not understandig this correctly but how will traffic on Wellborn be effected by the vehicular/pedestrian underpasses underneith it? There is no direct access between the roads W Lamar and Wellborn and Jones and Wellborn right now; these roads will be extended to make the aformentioned underpases which should help with the traffic. Coke Street basically dead-ends into the center of campus, how does traffic on this road change because of this?

• 2 weeks later...

Good point concerning Lamar and Jones from Wellborn. My issue is with Old Main direct access from Wellborn for West Campus as well as direct vehicular access for Kimbrough/Routt to Wellborn.

Coke comes into play b/c it leads into Routt. However, Olsen would likely see more of an impact than Coke since it doesn't go straight through anywhere.

With the sheer number of vehicles on this campus, direct connectivity is essential. I don't know the number of vehicles here each day, but I do know that Downtown Charlotte, NC has 60,000 people working there each day. My guess is that there are around 50,000 people within the confines of campus each day. If that turns out to be 20,000 vehicles a day, that is a significant impact.

• 2 months later...

TEXAS AVENUE PROJECT STARTS MARCH 21

A stretch of Texas Avenue from George Bush Drive to Harvey Mitchell Parkway South in College Station will be widened in four phases, according to the Texas Department of Transportation. The finished product will be a six-lane thoroughfare with raised medians.

The first phase of the $17 million project will involve a stretch of Texas Avenue from Manuel Drive to Harvey Mitchell Parkway South.

A major traffic shift is not expected during the first three phases, TxDOT officials said.

more...

Archived