Atlanta Suburbs Introduce Legislation to Secede

If they get this done in Atlanta, I would like to see a similar effort here. Harris County is too big and unwieldy to manage properly. Add to that, Houston's oppressive ETJ laws that prohibit communities from incorporating in order to address these needs:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070123/ap_on_...s/atlanta_split

This has to do with all of the underserved areas of Harris County, including Katy, Kingwood, Clear Lake, etc.

I think you're missing the point, it doesn't matter if one wouldn't exist without the other, what matters in Houston standing in the way of people's right to self-govern and better manage their community needs and Harris County's inability to properly manage the needs of the one million+ who live in unincorporated areas.

If one would like to address issues such as zoning, signage, rampant roughshod development etc, we are helpless.

We certainly pay more than our fair share in taxes through a property tax scheme that was found unconstitutional, yet to be remedied. I think people are getting to the point where they would like to see more of a return on their investment. More accountability from lawmakers and more accessibility.

One way or another, something needs to be done, whether the city loosens up its ETJ rules, or the County splits into smaller more manageable governments.

Harris County doesn't offer that. I think it would like to, but it simply is too large and unwieldy for a local gov't, just as Fulton County, GA.

Edited by mrfootball

Suburban communities always want to seperate themselves from the city from which they were born, but never realize the consequences to the metro as a whole that take decades to reverse. People think that their community will remain as is forever, not realize the chain of events they've set in motion that basically gurantee a newer better suburb a little further out every decade. If you think its best that these suburban areas secede, look no further than your Texas brother to the north and how each new hot suburb sucks the life out of its older neighbor. And your services are NOT better than what you get from the big city who has a tax base that smaller, mostly suburban residential areas can only dream of.