Remember When Shipley's Was Delivered To Your Door

Back in the early to mid 60s, I recall my mom buying a dozen Shipley's donuts at the front door. I also remember she used a diaper service for my baby sister that picked up the dirty diapers and dropped off a batch of clean.

Our neighborhood Avon lady came to the front door, she happen to be my best friend's mother, and once a photographer with a live pony came to our front door to take a picture of my little brother on the pony. I can't remember if the photographer provided cowboy clothes, or if mom dressed my brother up in his own while the photographer waited. It was also the day of the popsicle and snowcone man.

Any other door to door services you remember?

Any other door to door services you remember?

The milk man. Fuller Brush man. And waaaaay back, when I was about 5... at my grandmother's... the ice man. We also used the diaper service you mentioned... in the early 60's. That was before Pampers, I think.

Milk and eggs of course, and some local grocery stores would take your orders over the phone and deliver the groceries to your door. Didn't Randall's try this again recently with Internet order grocery delivery? Pharmacies used to also deliver to your door.

Edited by isuredid

Milk and eggs of course, and some local grocery stores would take your orders over the phone and deliver the groceries to your door. Didn't Randall's try this again recently with Internet order grocery delivery? Pharmacies used to also deliver to your door.

My first job was delivering for a Rexall drugstore. The owner had a Volkswagen Beetle and actually had signs on the doors calling it the "Pill Bug".

Tidy Didy. My mon saved a receipt in my baby book. :rolleyes:

Today's Gen-X'ers whose butts were covered by disposable diapers may find the idea of real cloth diapers a little hard to believe, but it's true. Before disposables were invented and took over the baby-world, there really was a company that made a lot of money delivering clean diapers to peoples' homes.

When my twins were born in 1969, my wife's sister gave us a one-year pre-paid subscription to the Tidy-Didy Diaper service. We got two large plastic buckets lined with sealable plastic bags. Every Friday the Tidy-Didy man would pick up the dirties and leave us 200 fresh clean diapers. We never washed a single one of them.

The age of disposable diapers had not yet dawned in 1969, and believe me, with twins keeping us on the run, Tidy-Didy was the only way to go.

Incidentally, the Tidy-Didy building on the southeast side burned to the ground sometime in the early 70s, at about the same time the first disposables were showing up in the stores and cutting into Tidy Didy's business. Coincidence? You decide.

Edited by FilioScotia

Come on, I know plenty of GenXers using the cloth diaper delivery service TODAY...it still works the same and is quite popular.

:)

I remember Charlies Chips being delivered. I don't remember the Shipleys, though...that would be heaven.

There is a company that still delivers milk in the Houston area. I looked into it, but it seemed expensive. I guess we'll continue to hike to the grocery.

Some pharmacies still deliver, too.

Today's Gen-X'ers whose butts were covered by disposable diapers may find the idea of real cloth diapers a little hard to believe, but it's true.

I don't know if it's necessarily generational. I think it's a question of what your family likes.

I changed my nephew's diapers several thousand times when he was a baby. This would have been around 1990, and we used cloth diapers. I believe his younger sister (born around 2000) also had cloth diapers.

I wouldn't be surprised to see a slight return of the cloth diapers as more and more people become more environmentally conscious. But I bet most of them go back to Huggies by their second child.

"The Milkman Still Delivers" delivers milk and also other dairy and bread and meat...

http://www.the-milkman.com/

delivery charges are $15 for once a week, and twice per week is $25, though, plus the inflated cost of goods...

There is a company that still delivers milk in the Houston area. I looked into it, but it seemed expensive. I guess we'll continue to hike to the grocery.

Some pharmacies still deliver, too.

• The title was changed to Remember When Shipley's Was Delivered To Your Door