Vintage Township - New Urbanism In Lubbock

mrfootball

• 4 weeks later...

This is something really cool for Lubbock. I am a little envious of the current and future students, because I went to school out there before all this development happened. The only thing that bothers me is that these developers are not looking closer to the city center for most of this. Yes they are doing the new conference center and are planning something for downtown, but I remember some blighted neighborhoods around downtown with some old grand homes that could use this kind of attention. My fraternity looked at purchasing a home down there and fixing it up. Have things changed for those old neighborhoods other then overton. I have not been out there since 04 for homecoming.

Impressive...especially for Lubbock. Too bad this is all the way down in the southwest corner of town. There are definitely a lot of good things going on and being planned for Lubbock right now. Should be interesting in about 5 years when a lot of it is built.

Thats the one thing that brings lots of questions up for me. Now don't know what the population change has been. I do know that when I was living out there the population change in the 2000 census was something like 1 percent over a 10 year period or something. Thats not much by any standards, and by 2002 nothing else had changed. That was somthing like 18,000 in 10 years. Now the other thing that was always amuzing is that as one restaurant or bar opened in Lubbock, another was bound to close respectfully. Basically because the new restaurant would take on so many new patrons that would cause the existing scene to take a big hit. Some restaurants more then others. Trying to think, I waited tables at that Logan's off of slide, and sure enough all the wait staff from another restaurant came over to open Logan's. By end of summer the restuarant that everyone came over from closed its doors. I also use to go rollerblading out in the Kingsgate area, typically that golf course once it was getting dark. We go to the end of the where we could go and ended up in the some new neighborhoods they were building. Those neighborhoods in south Lubbock were being built as slow as malacess. I remember thinking in 97, it was cool to see construction all around Lubbock, yep those same neighborhoods from Kingsgate to Indiana and 82 still had more lots for sale then homes built in 2002. Nothing like the growth that would fill in an area that was truly growing like Houston, SA, Dallas, or Austin. So the point is, where are all the people coming from to fill the overton project, this Vintage, and going to help with the downtown revitalization. Mentioned it before, its a great project (if all of it actually gets built), but it would be better for Lubbock to encourage the developers to work together on these type of projects in a concentrated area, mainly the central core. More then plenty of space. Just kick out some of the cylo grains, immeidately adjacent to downtown, and raze much of the wasted buildings and empty storefronts b/w Ave. Q and most of downtown.

Lubbock has had very stable and steady economic growth. There are about 5,000 more students at Tech today than there were back in the mid to late 1990's. This has helped Lubbock grow. The current Chancellor of Tech wants to expand Tech to 40,000 students. The growth plan would have Tech at 35,000 students within 5 years (40,000 by 2020). Add to that additional research and expansion of the Healthcare industry, securing Lubbock as major regional med center for that part of the country (b/w Dallas and ABQ).

• The title was changed to Vintage Township - New Urbanism In Lubbock

Archived