Katy ISD Superintendent Retires

Chris

Katy Independent School District Superintendent Dr. Leonard Merrell has announced his plan to retire effective June 30, 2007. Dr. Merrell has served as superintendent for Katy ISD since June 1995. Formerly he served as superintendent of Texas City ISD and Sulphur Springs ISD, as well as business manager, budget director, high school principal and high school assistant principal in Garland ISD. He began his teaching career as a junior high math and science teacher. In his letter of retirement presented to the school board on Jan. 17, Dr. Merrell said,

Merrill was a proponet of the TIRZ given to the Mills Group back in the late 90s, despite opposition. If my memory serves me correctly this is where the funding for bond payments on the Merrill Center comes from. If they cannot meet the obligation, whose responsibility will it be to pay for the Center? Can someone with knowledge of this type of financial arrangement explain this to me?

I cannot not help but wonder if this issue plays a role in his decision to "retire"?

Merrill was a proponet of the TIRZ given to the Mills Group back in the late 90s, despite opposition. If my memory serves me correctly this is where the funding for bond payments on the Merrill Center comes from. If they cannot meet the obligation, whose responsibility will it be to pay for the Center? Can someone with knowledge of this type of financial arrangement explain this to me?

I cannot not help but wonder if this issue plays a role in his decision to "retire"?

According to news reports, Leonard Merrill has prostate cancer and is one reason he is stepping down. As a person, I wish this on no one and hope that he can recover.

As a superintendant, GOOD RIDDANCE!!!! Now that he's put our district into a financial hole worth nearly a billion dollars, he high tails it out of dodge!

Archived