Smaller Developments Vs. Large Master Plans

njvisitor

Hi, we're looking to purchase a home in Pearland, and have quickly found ourselves torn between the large master plan communities (SCR) and the smaller developments on 518 (Avalon Terrace).

This is what we've been able to put together, in terms of benefits/negative aspects:

Smaller Communities in Pearland along 518, Pros:

- Pearland ISD

- Lower Taxes

" " Cons:

- Not as scenic

- Not as many local, social amenities (clubs, groups and whatnot)

- Farther from 288

So yea, that's all we could think of. :wacko:

Please share your thoughts on the benefits of living in a large master plan versus a smaller development, and vice-versa (in terms of both living quality and resale). Thanks!

Avalon Terrace is assigned to these PISD schools:

* Shadycrest ES

* Sablatura MS

* Pearland JH West

* Pearland HS

SCR is divided into two zones - Alvin ISD part and Fort Bend ISD part:

AISD:

* Marek ES

* Manvel JHS

* Manvel HS

FBISD:

* Goodman ES

* Baines MS

* Hightower HS

AISD will allow FBISD SCR residents to enroll their kids in Marek until FBISD builds more schools http://www.thefacts.com/story.lasso?ewcd=93cbae23a45c958b

Hightower's principal has been criticized for her management of Hightower: http://www.houston-press.com/Issues/2006-0...ws/feature.html

SCR is divided into two zones - Alvin ISD part and Fort Bend ISD part:

AISD:

* Marek ES

* Manvel JHS

* Manvel HS

FBISD:

* Goodman ES

* Baines MS

* Hightower HS

AISD will allow FBISD SCR residents to enroll their kids in Marek until FBISD builds more schools http://www.thefacts.com/story.lasso?ewcd=93cbae23a45c958b

Pearland is not in FBISD.

To your pros and cons list, I might have to add local traffic concerns. In earlier years, it wasn't a problem, now it is downright ugly to due lack of road expansion.

As for being farther from 288, that could be good depending on where you work. If you live in eastern Pearland, you can shop in the baybrook area quite easily.

Hi, we're looking to purchase a home in Pearland, and have quickly found ourselves torn between the large master plan communities (SCR) and the smaller developments on 518 (Avalon Terrace).

I'm not sure what is adjacent to Avalon Terrace, but if it is vacant land, then you have no way of knowing what will be developed next door at some point in the future. It may be a shopping center or self-storage, or it may just be another subdivision. But you don't know, and that uncertainty is a con. In a master planned community, you know what'll be there 10 years from now.

• 10 months later...

Thought I might revive this thread because I found myself comparing the same two areas recently. I eventually decided to build in one of the MPCs west of 288 and not in Avalon Terrace. Too bad really because Avalon Terrace has some beautiful David Weekly home plans that my wife and I loved. However, there were some serious issues with the subdivision that caused us to decide against it. I will list them here. These are not listed in any specific order.

1. Too far from 288 (literally 15-20 minutes in any kind of normal traffic).

2. The developers will not be building any kind of wall or fence around the perimeter of the property. While it is bordered on one side by a cemetary (quiet), it is bordered on other sides by industry and retail (noisy). Plus no fence or wall is an invitation to stray animals, trespassers, and burglars.

3. The beautiful open-grass side fields on either side of the main Avalon Terrace entrance will soon be replaced by retail business. That's right, the land on both sides of the main entrance is zoned for retail development. I feel really sorry for the folks with homes on that first street facing 518, when this happens.

Just wanted to share. These points might not be a problem to other folks.

• The title was changed to Smaller Developments Vs. Large Master Plans

Archived