Dubai Royal Family

Proof of pie in the sky is in the testing

By Heber Taylor

The Daily News

Published January 14, 2007

The city of Galveston is going to test interest among the private sector in developing the roughly 600 acres known as the East End flats.

One of the stories you can hear around town is that the same folks who have built mansions on manmade islands in the Middle East are interested in the property. But other parties have expressed interest..."

http://news.galvestondailynews.com/story.l...315b5e968601d6b

Proof of pie in the sky is in the testing

By Heber Taylor

The Daily News

Published January 14, 2007

The city of Galveston is going to test interest among the private sector in developing the roughly 600 acres known as the East End flats.

One of the stories you can hear around town is that the same folks who have built mansions on manmade islands in the Middle East are interested in the property. But other parties have expressed interest..."

http://news.galvestondailynews.com/story.l...315b5e968601d6b

The Galveston Daily News really needs a new headline writer. "Proof of pie in the sky is in the testing". Yeah, that really makes me want to read the article. :rolleyes:

Anyway, do you or anyone here know whereabouts the East End flats are located?

The Galveston Daily News really needs a new headline writer. "Proof of pie in the sky is in the testing". Yeah, that really makes me want to read the article. :rolleyes:

The East End Flats is reclaimed land north of the seawall and east of Ferry Road. Originally the seawall turned north at 6th St. (University Blvd.) All land east of that was sand dunes and marshland. Eventually the corps of engineers extended the seawall east to it's present location to protect Fort San Jacinto. A high raised section of the seawall (cherry hill) was built along that stretch in front of the fortifications. After WWII the property was released by the military and has been used by the Corps of Engineers for spoil.

We used to take girls out to cherry hill and park along the top. If you go out into the fortifications beware of snakes.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: OMG, that is so cheesy, what a lame title.

Flats. . . Sounds like a hurricane death trap!

• 4 weeks later...

Feb. 9th

08:08 PM in Buzz

Flat-out interesting

Posted by Laura Elder

Should we file this under “P” for preposterous? Around the holidays, a rumor was floating that the Royal Family of Dubai was planning to buy roughly 600 acres known as the East End flats in Galveston.

What I dismissed as rumor went something like this: Members of the royal family wanted to go where no developer had gone before, investing millions and millions of dirhams just to stabilize land long used for dredge spoils.

The plan? Build a waterfront residential project massive enough to house 80,000 people. About 60,000 now call Galveston home, in case you're missing just what “massive” means.

Perhaps I was too hasty in dismissing the rumor.

City officials recently dispatched requests for information from potential developers. In Thursday's city council meeting, Mayor Lyda Ann Thomas said the city had received encouraging interest from developers, including some from Dubai.

Dubai's royal family has been in a $3 billion hotel-buying spree in the United States, according to reports. Apparently, money is no object for Dubai's ruling family. Members also have snapped up trophy properties around the United States. Dubai is one of the seven emirates that make up the United Arab Emirates on the Persian Gulf.

Stay tuned.

http://galvestondailynews.com/blog.lasso?b...be34d234d8cd34f

Something like this for Galveston would be huge. Imagine 80,000 more people on the island. If/When the project is completed, that would be about 140,000 people. That place is really becoming something. Trump rumors, and now the Dubai Royal Family. Hopefully even more tourist attractions come into this area.

Many developers are now looking at Galveston more and more. It is getting back to the pre-1900 Hurricane days (not really, but close). I think it could become a resort time of sorts. I hope a large theme park developer like Cedar Fair or Paramount look into this area. Schlitterbahn is already here.

I just recently took a trip to Galveston and I seen the new towers they are building on the east end. This with that beach front project, and the Dubai, Trump rumors, I can see Galveston being the place again. Especially if they get that commuter rail running from Houston to Galveston more people would come just from Houston.

• 1 month later...

Archived