Cool places to see in Phoenix

I'm going to Phoenix for about 3 days, leaving tommorrow (Sunday). Anyone have something to recommend, that I can do after a work day? You know, something that has some history..a pub or old building or place that isnt ordinary. (Orange Show/La Carafe-like stuff). Something different. Thanks.

I'm going to Phoenix for about 3 days, leaving tommorrow (Sunday). Anyone have something to recommend, that I can do after a work day? You know, something that has some history..a pub or old building or place that isnt ordinary. (Orange Show/La Carafe-like stuff). Something different. Thanks.

Sorry, but I don't have a recommendation for urban artifacts of Phoenix. ...but Scottsdale is what it's all about these days. That's where I ended up when my former boss finally arrived and put my ghetto-fabulous stay in Tempe to an end with his larger expense account.

Well I'm back. I think the one thing that stood out to me was the idea of sand and rocks. Man, you better like sand and rocks, with random placement of cactus to add some character. Not even weeds survive there! But I will say this, they have MOUNTAINS all around. About the closest thing we have here to that are bridges and speed bumps.

Well I'm back. I think the one thing that stood out to me was the idea of sand and rocks. Man, you better like sand and rocks, with random placement of cactus to add some character. Not even weeds survive there! But I will say this, they have MOUNTAINS all around. About the closest thing we have here to that are bridges and speed bumps.

So did you like Phoenix? Did you get to see much of the city? Did you visit Snottsdale? (My favorite put-down of Scottsdale I heard from Arizonans though I spent little time there myself). How would you compare Phoenix to Houston or Dallas?

I generally liked Phoenix during my visits there but I wouldn't go there expecting touristy type things, unless you enjoy slipping off the beaten track to scale one of the distant mesas that surround the city. Sunsets in the valley are beautiful, especially during summer, when the desert haze kicks up into the air and gives the sky a deep, red tint. Unless you like golf, however, there aren't that many exciting things to do.

Scottsdale is probably where you're likely to have the most fun, although I think the core of Tempe has a cool little "urban" district that's walkable and fairly lively on weekends (like Rice Village, for comparison).

Downtown PHX, unfortunately, has about as much life, particularly on weekends, as downtown Waco. Ho hum.

So did you like Phoenix? Did you get to see much of the city? Did you visit Snottsdale? (My favorite put-down of Scottsdale I heard from Arizonans though I spent little time there myself). How would you compare Phoenix to Houston or Dallas?

I like big cities, especially ones I have never seen or have not in a long time - I was 10 years old the last time I passed though there on a Trailways bus going to L.A. Anyways, it was fun being in a stange city trying to navigate on the fly. I love the mountains that surround the place, that's cool. But most of the action I got was some traffic and the hustle at the airport, the rest of the time it was 10 hour work days. Honestly, I wasnt there long enough to see much, except for the thing about it being a desert and everyone having rocks and sand for a front lawn. Things seemed like they were evenly partitioned, and everything kinda looked the same to be honest. Houston and Phoenix have very little in common, that's my limited perception. Not only the fact that Houston has GREEN, and a large amount of vegitation. Plus we have water, not only by our close beaches and Clear Lake and the bay, but we get water on our front lawns and in our houses sometimes!! Houston=Water, Phoenix=Rocks. Thier downtown was kinda neat, because it was different. But, nowhere close to the higher densities of our downtown, uptown, medcenter, etc. etc. Plus of course Houston has lot's of gritty corners lurking everywhere, the Port here and the whole east end really makes Houston feel like a bigger city with lots of un-clean edges to it. So again, no comparison between the two it seems. But I want to check Phoenix out some more, I'm sure there are some gems that I just need to discover.

I will probably be going to Phoenix often, and one of the things i MUST go see is Taliesn West (sp?).

I agree with your comment about everything looking the same in Phoenix. It seems like all of the land is covered with concrete, and most of the buildings are covered with stucco, with really bland architecture. The blandness is exacerbated by the fact that the lack of moisture in the air prevents anything from aging or developing a patina. The sun just fades everything to the same shade of beige.

If you do go back, definitely check out Scottsdale. There are some very interesting Modern and Contemporary homes, some by famous architects. Also, make the two-hour trip north to Sedona. The natural landscape around Sedona is very beautiful.

Archived