My wife and I drove up there this summer...I enjoyed the town, but we were limited due to the drive, and only stayed for two days.

We stayed downtown, which was great. Plenty to do and see around there. It's so dense and pedestrian-heavy there we actually found it easier to walk and take public transportation than it was to drive around. More than once we sat through two traffic cycles while waiting for pedestrians to clear the crosswalk.

Anyhow, on our short visit we went to Chinatown (I believe 1/3rd of Vancouver residents speak Mandarin as their native tongue), Stanley Park (awesome park), Capilano Suspension Bridge (we made it there by taking the Skytram to the Seabus and then hopped on a local bus), and spent plenty of hours just walking around downtown.

We didn't have a chance to go to Victoria Island, but I understand it's a wonderful place to visit.

Our road trip was a "scouting trip" for us for future travels. We'll be spending more time in the Pacific Northwest in the future, for sure.

We stay on Robson St. at Pacific Palisades Hotel. It's totally groovy. Robson St. alone will keep you busy.

Take the tram to Surrey and go shopping. I always find cool shoes in Vancouver. Take the Sea Ferry to North Vancouver. They also have aerial tours in cool float planes but you have to book ahead.

And don't miss the ramen on Robson St. Wish I could remember the name.

You can also drive to Whistler, but I don't know about the roads this time of year.

And if you feel like smoking some sweet-sweet cheeba, head over to Blunt Brothers. They have a cool smoke room. I saw Justin Timberlake (hate him) there. You can buy from the dudes in the park across the street. BC Bud all the way. No Mexican dirt.

I think that area is callled the gas lamp district, and it's cool, even if you don't smoke-out.

http://www.pacificpalisadeshotel.com/