Cloned meats headed to American tables!

houstonmacbro

I am not that big of a meat eater to start with ... definitely not sure I want to eat cloned meats!

Yuck!

US body backs sale of cloned food

_42395015_ap_cows203.jpg

A series of studies have said cloned meat is safe to eat

Meat and milk from cloned animals is safe for human consumption, the US food regulator said in a draft ruling.

The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) ruled that cloned cattle, pigs and goats produced food "as safe as the food we eat every day".

The recommendation, coming after a five-year study, is a major step towards allowing food from animals onto US supermarket shelves.

A public consultation period will take place before final approval is given.

Opponents say a majority of US consumers are against animal cloning.

Full article here

Good news. Rather than relying upon selective breeding methods, now we can just take the biggest and best from the herd and replicate it with consistent results. When we get higher average outputs for the same or lower average inputs in a competitive market, prices will drop.

It'll benefit the poor more than the wealthy, though. I fully expect a bunch of elitists with no sympathy for the poor to try and be a roadblock, but hopefully this'll won't get shot down.

So you're saying the wealthy will be able to afford pure (or non-cloned meats) while the poor get poor-quality replicated meat?

Talk about taking disturbing to new levels of grossness.

Who said anything about meat from cloned meat being of lower quality? In fact, I'd wager that the quality of the meat has a good shot at increasing. After all, if there are two farms using cloning to inexpensively create animals, but one farm's genetic strain produces a better taste than the other or has better nutritional qualities, then that farm can charge more for its product. And there is incentive for the other farm to improve its product in order to compete more effectively.

I'm sure that there'd be a market for non-cloned meat...some people don't have a firm grasp or trust of science. And I'm sure that the market would be disproportionately comprised of wealthier folks, since the cost of the product would be somewhat higher. But the price probably wouldn't be all that different from what it is now...the only thing different would be that there is a lower-priced alternative with more consistent (and probably higher) level of quality.

Who said anything about meat from cloned meat being of lower quality? In fact, I'd wager that the quality of the meat has a good shot at increasing. After all, if there are two farms using cloning to inexpensively create animals, but one farm's genetic strain produces a better taste than the other or has better nutritional qualities, then that farm can charge more for its product. And there is incentive for the other farm to improve its product in order to compete more effectively.

I'm sure that there'd be a market for non-cloned meat...some people don't have a firm grasp or trust of science. And I'm sure that the market would be disproportionately comprised of wealthier folks, since the cost of the product would be somewhat higher. But the price probably wouldn't be all that different from what it is now...the only thing different would be that there is a lower-priced alternative with more consistent (and probably higher) level of quality.

I was trying to understand what TheNiche was saying about it being better for the poor.

And for the record ... I do not trust the current meat industry. I think some weird, harsh, gross, and perhaps inhumane things happen to get the food from MacFarms to our tables.

I certainly don't think that is gonna change with cloned meats.

Edited by houstonmacbro

I don't think some of you understand WHY they are "cloning" for the meat. You will quite possibly get a consistently GOOD piece of meat, without worry of "Mad Cow" or other hidden factors. They are using cattle DNA from only the strongest in the herds, you know, the cows that tasted the best after being roasted over and open flame, and trying to insure that WE the consumers get a better, healthier piece of meat.

Bring on the "clones" and the A1, it's what's for dinner !

Edited by TJones

Let's wonder for a moment (sciFi here) that something inside the beef, or lamb, or pork (heaven only knows what's swimming in swine blood ...) that gets cloned as well.

So now we have a duplicate (I'm guessing) or a something less than a duplicate.

Who knows ...

The fact is, there could also be other contagions that get cloned, evolve, or devolve ... and we have a new epidemic on our hands through our own short-sightedness.

And for the record ... I do not trust the current meat industry. I think some weird, harsh, gross, and perhaps inhumane things happen to get the food from MacFarms to our tables.

I certainly don't think that is gonna change with cloned meats.

This much I agree with you on, but I could really care less so long as those weird, harsh, gross, and perhaps inhumane things don't bruise the muscle or cause a release of lactic acid. That'd result in a gamey taste.

Let's wonder for a moment (sciFi here) that something inside the beef, or lamb, or pork (heaven only knows what's swimming in swine blood ...) that gets cloned as well.

Who knows ...

The fact is, there could also be other contagions that get cloned, evolve, or devolve ... and we have a new epidemic on our hands through our own short-sightedness.

Who knows? Scientists, that's who.

Biological contagions are seperate organisms with seperate DNA. Chemical agents don't clone.

Who knows ...

Cure for that is to cook your meat all the way through :lol::lol:

Beef, its whats for dinner!

Who knows ...

If that were the case, even if scientists could NOT detect the virus, it would be too late anyway. Viruses tend to mutate and come back stronger everytime. What is the alternative ? Become a vegan, but that ain't happening for me. I'll take my chances as long as I have a full bottle of propane, and 500* of heat for 5 minutes on each side.

Viruses tend to mutate and come back stronger everytime.

I suppose that would be one legitimate disadvantage to cloning. With less biological diversity, all it would take is one really aggressive virus to kill off a pretty sizable chunk of the cattle population. Nearly all of the livestock would have the same immunities and the same vulnerabilities.

I suppose that would be one legitimate disadvantage to cloning. With less biological diversity, all it would take is one really aggressive virus to kill off a pretty sizable chunk of the cattle population. Nearly all of the livestock would have the same immunities and the same vulnerabilities.

Here is another fun fact from the cattle population. There are over 750 different breeds recognized, and about 79 have gone extinct in the last 10 years. Mad Cow, is one big reason. It was kind of like the birdflu, massive amounts of beef were destroyed in order to irradicate the disease. Very sad, but it is kinda like being Doctor Korvorkian for cows. The disease is much less humane than putting the animal out of their misery promptly. This is exactly the reason WHY some Ranchers are turning to cloning. There are some Ranchers who oppose it. Those Ranchers are the ones who can't afford the technology to do such science in their barns, and could lose money to others that can claim their beef could be risk free.

I am gonna go roll the dice and go get a burger from Jack in the Crack.

Edited by TJones

What is so bad about cloned meat. It will probably taste good. When will they start cloning shrimp so I can have more of this:

3674.jpg

How about the hamburgers bits for pizza:

101_0078.jpg

(ya, I had the shrimp for dinner last night and the pizza for lunch today).