Baggage Theft

ricco67

Airline excuses on baggage  

17 members have voted

1. 1. Are the airlines just making excuses so they don't spend money?

• No, I think they do enough already.
    • No, I think it's not their responsibility.
    • No, I feel comfortable with how things are.
    • No, I don't want to stand in line, the security is tight enough!
    • Yes, they need to take action for their passangers.
    • Yes, they should be part of their responsitilies.
    • Yes, I'm uncomfrotable with the way things stand!
    • Yes! I don't mind waiting in line as long as my bag is there!

Article

What really gets my goat is that they are so lax in their responbilities to the public.

the following quote:

Continental Airlines spokeswoman Mary Clark said many travelers would object to the delay that checking would cause.

Was used in the 90's by the airline industry when the goverment proposed increased security. When will the airlines learn that people are willing to give up a BIT of Inconvenience for the sake assuring their luggage would be there?

When something catastrphic happens, (such as 9/11) they just pass the buck.

This story is more hype and overreaction than anything. I fly every week, and check a bag on just about every flight, and more than 99% of the time my bag arrives at the baggage carousel right on time. I flew over 125 flights in 2006 and only twice did I have a luggage issue, and only one of those incidents was due to any sort of negligence or mistake on the airline's part. The other time my bag was not loaded on a turboprop flight that was weight restricted, and was sent to my destination a few hours later on the next flight, and then was delivered by the airline directly to my hotel.

Yes, mistakes do happen, and in this case it looks like it was an inside theft. But it won't scare me away from checking my luggage.

This story is more hype and overreaction than anything. I fly every week, and check a bag on just about every flight, and more than 99% of the time my bag arrives at the baggage carousel right on time. I flew over 125 flights in 2006 and only twice did I have a luggage issue, and only one of those incidents was due to any sort of negligence or mistake on the airline's part. The other time my bag was not loaded on a turboprop flight that was weight restricted, and was sent to my destination a few hours later on the next flight, and then was delivered by the airline directly to my hotel.

Yes, mistakes do happen, and in this case it looks like it was an inside theft. But it won't scare me away from checking my luggage.

I havent had a baggage problem in like 5 yrs. The last one i had was because of, not a turbo prop, but a regional jet that was weight restricted. I hate when that happens. Most times i travel i have very little luggage. I usually only have a garment bag with 2 suits and a small carry on bag with sundries and such and my laptop. People haul too much crap on planes, that need to be checked, but they shouldnt have thier things stolen either because of it.

I have never flown on a airplane before i always drove to my destination. I would not bring luggage or anything on board i would buy new clothes, toothpaste and so forth when i landed in Fort Worth.

Edited by Marty

I have never flown on a airplane before i always drove to my destination. I would not bring luggage or anything on board i would buy new clothes, toothpaste and so forth when i landed in Fort Worth.

Marty, considered yourself blessed.

I cannot drive to Europe, and thats where my work takes me, most of the time, and i have to fly :(

If i could drive, that would be cool ;)

Ssullivan, the poor guy, spends a hell of a lot more time in airports than i do, so his travels are more trouble. I say better he than i. ;);)

This story is more hype and overreaction than anything. I fly every week, and check a bag on just about every flight, and more than 99% of the time my bag arrives at the baggage carousel right on time.

I'm not denying that it's only a statistically small number of bags that get lost/stolen/misdirected, but that doesn't matter much if YOU are the one that's bag is stolen.

I honestly think it's something that needs to be taken care of.

I had a client that gave me a call after his bag was stolen out of the Hyatt Downtown he under reported how much his stuff was worth.

After I prompted him by asking him if he carried this or that, his one bag eventually contained over $2000 worth of shaving/cufflinks/a watch, etc..

I know this has nothing to do with airport security, but just an example on how valueble the items in a bag can be for international carriers.

I've had a couple of people talk to me about bags being "lost" and never recovered again. Out of the thousands I've talked to, that's still statistically small, but if you actually give an actual number, it's rather significant.

If anything, it would simply deny thieves a target rich environment like the improved security after 9/11 helped reduced the teams of crooks that prey on the traveling businessman.

When I was in high school, Northwest once misplaced my bicycle. A couple of days later they called saying they found it and wanted directions to deliver it to the house. My mother told them it was OK, that we'd pick it up at the airport. Gee, thanks ma. The airport was only three hours away!

Ssullivan, the poor guy, spends a hell of a lot more time in airports than i do, so his travels are more trouble. I say better he than i. ;);)

Gee, thanks, I guess. :)

Actually I much prefer flying to driving long distances — I've only driven one trip where it took me more than two hours to get to my destination from Houston in the last two years. I usually fly to places like Dallas, Austin, and San Antonio just because I get tired of long roadtrips. I'd just rather get there and be done with it. And I'm so used to the whole routine from checking in to security to getting luggage and my rental car at my destination that none of it bothers me. It's all very routine. But it has been nice to have the last week and a half off from work and jetting around the country. My break ends soon; on January 2 I'm off to San Diego, and before the end of January I will have set foot in San Diego, Lubbock, Minneapolis/St. Paul, New York City, and London, and some of those cities more than once.