International Festival

WestGrayGuy

Yeah, that area sucks.

We should do like Dallas is doing with the American Arilines center ( if Relaint would so ablige ) and build several huge parking garages somewhere instead, and then, develop the massive acres upon acres of blank land. Whoever really owns the land would profit, and the development would be great, since it is right by 610, and the rail line.

The Chronicle mentioned a while back that attendance was way off this year. No big surprise, since they held it in a stadium parking lot. The reason was that the festival (shoot me dead if I ever call it "I-Fest") and the city couldn't come to terms on rent and concession fees. I'd be willing to bet the festival will be dead within a couple years.

I think I mentioned in the old forum that the Buffalo Bayou plan recommended acquiring the land where the downtown post office is and using that as a fairgrounds. The space would be used not only for the international festival, but all of the festivals that take place downtown. It seems like a perfect location, although it would require relocating some of the train tracks. Landry's would make a nice nearby complement, as would the theater district.

• 4 weeks later...
I think I mentioned in the old forum that the Buffalo Bayou plan recommended acquiring the land where the downtown post office is and using that as a fairgrounds. The space would be used not only for the international festival, but all of the festivals that take place downtown. It seems like a perfect location, although it would require relocating some of the train tracks. Landry's would make a nice nearby complement, as would the theater district.

this is the best idea i've heard yet for the post office location. if you haven't already, i'd suggest parking at the downtown post office and go up to the garden/patio area that faces downtown. it's a commanding view of our monumental skyline, unmarred by the pierce, i-45, 59, etc.

• 3 years later...
Since the international festival has moved from its "home" in downtown to the festival grounds at Reliant, has anyone attended?

It would seem to me to be extremely miserable with the lack of trees.

Any reports from the festival?

I attended the 2004 International Fesival. I just deleted several paragraphs. The festival was an enjoyable change of pace.

Getting to the parking lot on Kirby Drive was a breeze all four weekend days. Parking was mostly a breeze. Either there was zero, one or two vehicles in line to pay. I drove to the back of the small parking lot and found empty spaces three rows back. Leaving the parking lot was mostly a breeze too. I may have had to wait a couple of minutes for crowds crossing the street, but no major problems getting to Kirby Drive. No major traffic on Kirby Drive.

The festival was located on two parking lots with a grassy area covering one-third of the festival site in the middle. The grassy section had tents, small temporary structures put up for the festival and small trees to provide shade. The Thai area, the African section and International sections were in the grassy middle. The Texas and Latin stages were on the southern asphalt parking lot. On the northern asphalt parking lot was the children's section.

The crowds were way down especially the first Saturday because of clouds, soggy grounds and a soaking long, light shower. The crowds picked up the second weekend when the sun came out. The two shadeless asphalt lots were very hot under the blazing sun.

The old school Funk and Soul bands brought out a different, 30-to-44 year old crowd who appeared to reside in the surrounding neighborhoods. They were a nice change of pace. A Brazilian percussive, funk, rock band put on a great set. Texas Music performer, Pat Green, drew an enthusiastic crowd under the sweltering sun in the boiling parking lot. A Latin girl band put on an enjoyable set. The local ambient world music band, Moodfarka, played enjoyable sets in the Asian section. Although the music was enjoyable, I miss Rick Mitchell being in charge of the music.

All-in-all, the festival was better than to be expected easy to maneuver around because of the small crowds. However, I am glad that the festival is back in downtown where it belongs!

• 6 months later...
The entertainment schedule for this year's International Festival is up. The featured country is Ireland; as usual, entertainers will come from all over. That includes local & regional favorites, plus the Ohio Players, Hugh Masekela & Los Lobos!

It takes place the weekends of April 18-19 & 25-26. Downtown, of course!

Featuring Ireland! Good craic! :D

• 1 month later...

When I first saw this thread it looked like it was going to be at Reliant rather than Downtown this year (that would suck). But then I realized the first post was from 2004. It's going to be downtown this year right?

When I first saw this thread it looked like it was going to be at Reliant rather than Downtown this year (that would suck). But then I realized the first post was from 2004. It's going to be downtown this year right?

Yes, this thread began when the Festival was moved to Reliant Park. Downtown construction was one excuse. We were informed the Festival was committed to stay there for 5 years, but it moved back Downtown pretty quickly.

And this year's theme country is Ireland, for the second time.

Archived