Broken Austerity

TheNiche

I'm stuck at work tonight, printing and binding a bunch of crap that shouldn't nearly cost as much as Kinko's says it costs...so through the fog, I took this photo.

img2810se5.jpg

It interests me that the austerity of the sleek curtainwall is broken by the very organic watermarks where the roof drains. It kind of looks like the building vomited and forgot to wipe its chin.

I still love B&W, don't know why, just do. Maybe it's because I'm an old fart and remember when it was all we had. Just give photos a different feel. Great work Niche

I don't think it is because you are an old fart. i think it is because you see integrity in photography. Ansel Adams is one of my favorite artists of all time. Somehow capturing the contrasts between light and dark, clarity and fuzziness, etc. comes alive with black and white more than with color....IMO. I do like looking at skylines and skyscrapers in color to get the feel for how they relate to the other buildings surrounding them, but if i want to do a more comprehensive study based on asthetics, i take black and white photos any day. Some of my favorite black and white photos have to do with winter scenes (the contrast of stark white snow on brownstone buildings) and with rainy days. I don't know- it just seems like you can see every drop of water in black and white photos. Then again, being in my 30s, maybe i like it because i grew up around nothing but color.

m. ^_^

Its not B&W. That's true color.

That's true color?

Even more amazing!

Explain. How was this done? (Type of camera, day, conditions, lens filters etc.)

Awesome capture.

m.

I'm stuck at work tonight, printing and binding a bunch of crap that shouldn't nearly cost as much as Kinko's says it costs...so through the fog, I took this photo.

img2810se5.jpg

It interests me that the austerity of the sleek curtainwall is broken by the very organic watermarks where the roof drains. It kind of looks like the building vomited and forgot to wipe its chin.

.......and who says this isn't the building's other end, sooooooo maybe it forgot to wipe something else ? >:)

That's true color?

Even more amazing!

Explain. How was this done? (Type of camera, day, conditions, lens filters etc.)

Awesome capture.

m.

It was about 11:30PM, foggy. Lots of white light from several large car dealerships was being diffused through the fog, providing the B&W effect. There was some orange streetlight being reflected from other surfaces of the building, but I cropped that stuff out.

No lens filter. Canon Powershot Pro 1. I tried several exposures, and I think that this was probably a 1 1/2 second exposure. Used a tripod, of course.

Some other stuff that I've been working on. Not architecture-related, though, unless anybody is aware of denim being used at some point as a building material...or if you knew where this pair of jeans wound up at the end of the day, but then that's not a story I'm willing to tell. :ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

One of the things that I love about my camera is that with 8 megapixels, I can take a shot of just about anything and have sufficient resolution to focus in on just about any little detail that suits me. The photo I started off with was about 79 times the size of the first image.

This shot is true color and has no modification. I saved it and worked from this pattern.

denimfrommg002ov6.jpg

This was the image that gave birth to the rest. Everything else exists within this one.

denimfrommg0021mi5.jpg

denimfrommg0022qe6.jpg

denimfrommg0023of2.jpg

denimfrommg0024xk2.jpg

denimfrommg0025tc7.jpg

Archived