Klein ISD School Year Start Will Change In 2007

pineda

Notice of Meeting of Klein ISD:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The regular meeting of the Klein ISD Board of Trustees will be Tuesday, December 12. The public portion of the meeting will begin at 7:00 p.m. in the board room at the central office of the district at 7200 Spring Cypress Road, Klein.

Among the topics that the board members will consider is the calendar for the 2007-08 school year. The calendar approved by the board must reflect mandates of the Texas Legislature. For example, school may not begin before the fourth Monday in August. After the calendar is approved, it will be posted to the Klein ISD Web site at www.kleinisd.net.

This should be interesting! For example, the students who will be seniors next year will be graduating at the end of June now instead of May. Some colleges, such as U.T., are utilizing a new tool called "Early Start", which requires incoming freshman to be on campus in June/July, instead of August, to ease overcrowding. So, some students will be essentially going straight from their high school graduation to college. This isn't the only big change coming from the Texas Lege. Students who will be incoming high school freshmen next year will be required to take more math & science than previously required. This is a great idea, but the middle schools will have to step up what they're teaching now in order to get those kids ready for extra work.

Notice of Meeting of Klein ISD:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The regular meeting of the Klein ISD Board of Trustees will be Tuesday, December 12. The public portion of the meeting will begin at 7:00 p.m. in the board room at the central office of the district at 7200 Spring Cypress Road, Klein.

Among the topics that the board members will consider is the calendar for the 2007-08 school year. The calendar approved by the board must reflect mandates of the Texas Legislature. For example, school may not begin before the fourth Monday in August. After the calendar is approved, it will be posted to the Klein ISD Web site at www.kleinisd.net.

I am SO glad I was a child that grew up with the day after Labor Day being the first day of school. It looks like they are heading back in the right direction.

story found on chron.com

Klein will have their last day of classes on June 5th. They have condensed some parts of the year to make it all fit. One of the things that the students in Klein will be upset about with this new calendar is that their final exams will not be taking place before Christmas break anymore. Instead they will be taking them after the break in January, which means they will be studying over Christmas break or NOT! It should be interesting, to say the least!

related story about Tomball ISD

Edited by pineda

what happened to year-round school? if we have to work all year as adults, why should kids get the false reality that they deserve weeks or months off? it makes it more difficult for them in the long run.

i'm disgusted to see that gov. perry supported the school calendar change so that businesses could make more money. summer sucks and kids should be in school 12 months out of the year. :ph34r:

I know. It starts on August 27th, and ends on May 30th. We get three days for Thanksgiving, two weeks for Christmas, Easter and Spring Break are combined into one week (but we get an extra day off).

177 total school days for Katy I.S.D.

I am now JPMorgan Chase Tower ;)

Edited by Trae

• The title was changed to Klein ISD School Year Start Will Change In 2007