Haunted Galveston?

Hunter

A little fun history dealing with our favorite Island. Contrary to some of my earlier posts I really do love this old island. I just do not want to see another disaster like the 1900 storm. Now on to some fun fact about this little place. I am not sure if all of these places are still there but this is still fun anyway.

Galveston - Ashton Villa - The Ashton Villa doesn't have a particularly sad or tragic background but it is one of the houses that survived the hurricane of 1900. Reports of apparitions, male and female dressed in old style clothes. Feelings, of not being alone, and strange noises of movement when no one else is around.

Galveston - The Hotel Galvez - It's on Seawall Blvd. and is the oldest hotel on the island. One room, room 505, is supposed to be haunted and most people how stay in that room do not stay overnight. Most just feel incredibly uncomfortable there. You can also smell Gardenias in and around the room at times. There are two other ghosts there but no one seems to know much about them. There are several locations in Galveston that are haunted including the Tremont House hotel on Mechanic's Street and the Peanut Butter Warehouse to name a few. There is a link for Ghost tours in Galvaston, there is a fee Ghost Tours of Galveston.The free tour link

Galveston - Luigies Italian Food - Workers have seen figures of the lady and hear her whimpers as she walks down the stairs.

Galveston - University of Texas Medical Branch - Old Red The building is a fairly modern one with a grid type pattern on one side. The building is concrete with sandstone like finish. The old man's face appeared on one of the grids (there were nine total) the face is a lot like a shadow picture but is quite clearly visible. The story is that the grid where the face appeared was sandblasted to remove the face, only a few days later the face reappeared in a different grid. It is possible that the sandblasting was repeated at least one time with the face appearing yet again in a different spot. The building is quite close to the bay edge of the island and the site is very difficult to see without being on the actual grounds of the building. Someone might be able to see it from the water.

utmbface2_2x3.jpg

In an associated story, a nursing student drowned while in her car (likely drinking) observing the face. She backed her car up into the Galveston Ship Channel.

An interesting note about Ashton Villa is that the original bottom portion of the building was buried when they raised the grade of the island to fill in behind the newly constructed seawall because it couldnt be lifted like most of the other buildings that had survived the storm.

Archived