Palm Mobile Phone Upgrade

ricco67

I'm about to upgrade my old trusty Palm and I carry my life on this bloody thing (no, I don't want a smart phone) and I'm at a loss as to which PDA to buy.

My PDA is used for the typical things with a twist:

I download maps to it, and I keep a list of resturant's addresses and directions that I highly recommend to out of towners as well as major tourist spots that I beam to them with IR.

I'm looking for a new one that will allow me to do the same thing, but allow me to take advantages of the wi-fi spots around town as I travel. (and maybe even do a little IM'ing on MSM or yahoo when I have downtime)

Looking over a few, I haven't decided whether or not to go PALM or PocketPC.

Any suggestions? Do any of you Hi-tech geeks out there use it like I want to?

Thanks for the help in advance!

Ricco

I'm about to upgrade my old trusty Palm and I carry my life on this bloody thing (no, I don't want a smart phone) and I'm at a loss as to which PDA to buy.

My PDA is used for the typical things with a twist:

I download maps to it, and I keep a list of resturant's addresses and directions that I highly recommend to out of towners as well as major tourist spots that I beam to them with IR.

I'm looking for a new one that will allow me to do the same thing, but allow me to take advantages of the wi-fi spots around town as I travel.  (and maybe even do a little IM'ing on MSM or yahoo when I have downtime)

Looking over a few, I haven't decided whether or not to go PALM or PocketPC. 

Any suggestions?  Do any of you Hi-tech geeks out there use it like I want to?

Thanks for the help in advance!

Ricco

i know you said that you don't want a smartphone...but just to be academic about it, i'd recommend strongly that you give the HP IPAQ 6315 a test-drive at T-Mobile. I've never been happier...and i'm pretty overly critical of these devices.

Well, the only reason why I DON'T want a smartphone is the sheer fact that if I decide to move to a different provider for whatever reason, it's pretty much useless to me and would have sank a great deal of cash into something I really wouldn't be able to use unless I use a specific provider. And yes, I realize that i can probably still use the palm/scheduling options even without a provider.

Ricco

i use the clie ux-50. i prefer palm to pocket-pc. i use it to watch movies, get on the web and to keep the usual information: addresses, phone numbers, etc. i keep maps on mine as well. avant go is also a must have application.

the tungsten t5 is a nice gadget. it does not come with wi-fi, but the wi-fi expansion card is not expensive and they are much smaller than what they used to be.

you are not alone in not liking the all-in-one phone/pda. i prefer to have mine separate.

• The title was changed to Palm Mobile Phone Upgrade