May move from NY metro...various questions!

2cutecats

Hello -

I stumbled on this forum months ago and have read many interesting threads. I'm not sure if this was the right home for my post but I have seen others asking for neighborhood advice, etc. This may be a bit rambling but I'll try to keep my queries on point! (There are so many "life issues" for me right now that if I go into them y'all will charge me for the session :lol: . I don't really _want to move but I may need to.

I have visited Houston for 20+ years as I have family in Sugar Land and far west Harris County

(around Beechnut/Eldridge...not sure if that is "Alief" per se.) So I would want to be near that general area.

Anyway...I own a 1BR co-op in suburban NYC now...maybe I'd be able to sell it for $200K but after all debts are paid and I (must!) buy a new or used late model car, I'll be very lucky to walk away with $50K. So for starters I am not looking to buy, at least not right now. I have read the "worst neighborhoods" thread and even printed out the specific streets/apartments mentioned...so I do have concerns about getting into an undesirable locale if I am looking at apartment complexes. As a 50+ I also don't want to wind up somewhere loaded with college kids or hard-partying 20somethings either...

Two quite varying thoughts: I've passed some of the little bungalows in Sugar Land...any idea what something like that would rent for? My druthers would be my own "home"... or another area with little homes?

The other would be a nice apartment complex on the small side (in terms of #s of units) but to have my elderly mom visit the preference would be for one with an elevator. In either case...I'd love an older, charming area with MATURE TREES...don't know if that's single-family-home dreams only. I'd probably not want to pay more than $800 a month...though I imagine apartment agents will think anyone moving from NY has money to burn!

I don't have a job lined up (I freelance from home now (primarily writing/editing/proofing etc.) but just am not making enough...and I'd love to have benefits again!) I may be doing this bass-ackwards but I want to have a place to live first, and THEN look for work. I have two cats and though I could spend some time living in my mom's tiny apartment in senior housing I do believe I would lose my mind...and there's enough stress to this decision as it is. (Not to mention where will the moving truck take my stuff if I don't have an address...just unload it to a self-storage facility first ??? Seriously...) This may be a dumb question, but as long as I can provide a deposit, will not having a job at the time I sign a lease be a significant problem in renting a unit?

Can anyone recommend apartment mgmt co's to look at...or more to the point, stay away from???

So as I say, this was somewhat rambling...but all input appreciated! Thanks so much for taking the time.

Hello -

I stumbled on this forum months ago and have read many interesting threads. I'm not sure if this was the right home for my post but I have seen others asking for neighborhood advice, etc. This may be a bit rambling but I'll try to keep my queries on point! (There are so many "life issues" for me right now that if I go into them y'all will charge me for the session :lol: . I don't really _want to move but I may need to.

I have visited Houston for 20+ years as I have family in Sugar Land and far west Harris County

(around Beechnut/Eldridge...not sure if that is "Alief" per se.) So I would want to be near that general area.

Anyway...I own a 1BR co-op in suburban NYC now...maybe I'd be able to sell it for $200K but after all debts are paid and I (must!) buy a new or used late model car, I'll be very lucky to walk away with $50K. So for starters I am not looking to buy, at least not right now. I have read the "worst neighborhoods" thread and even printed out the specific streets/apartments mentioned...so I do have concerns about getting into an undesirable locale if I am looking at apartment complexes. As a 50+ I also don't want to wind up somewhere loaded with college kids or hard-partying 20somethings either...

Two quite varying thoughts: I've passed some of the little bungalows in Sugar Land...any idea what something like that would rent for? My druthers would be my own "home"... or another area with little homes?

The other would be a nice apartment complex on the small side (in terms of #s of units) but to have my elderly mom visit the preference would be for one with an elevator. In either case...I'd love an older, charming area with MATURE TREES...don't know if that's single-family-home dreams only. I'd probably not want to pay more than $800 a month...though I imagine apartment agents will think anyone moving from NY has money to burn!

I don't have a job lined up (I freelance from home now (primarily writing/editing/proofing etc.) but just am not making enough...and I'd love to have benefits again!) I may be doing this bass-ackwards but I want to have a place to live first, and THEN look for work. I have two cats and though I could spend some time living in my mom's tiny apartment in senior housing I do believe I would lose my mind...and there's enough stress to this decision as it is. (Not to mention where will the moving truck take my stuff if I don't have an address...just unload it to a self-storage facility first ??? Seriously...) This may be a dumb question, but as long as I can provide a deposit, will not having a job at the time I sign a lease be a significant problem in renting a unit?

Can anyone recommend apartment mgmt co's to look at...or more to the point, stay away from???

So as I say, this was somewhat rambling...but all input appreciated! Thanks so much for taking the time.

If you're looking for bungalos in the Sugar Land area, there's only one neighborhood that I'm aware of that has them. It is called The Hill, and is located near the old Imperial Sugar site, just off of Main Street (which is in reality not a very main street), and north of US 90A. I don't recall what prices were like back in there, offhand, though, and that could be an issue. But I'd think that it would suit your needs very nicely if it is in your price range.

I very strongly recommend that you rent an apartment for a few months before you buy. Not only so that you can search for employment before searching for a home, but also so that you can determine what is available to you and ensure that the closing process goes smoothly. It took me about three months to close on my deal...and yes that is an oddball deal, but it could happen, and I'd hate for that kind of thing to throw a wrench in your plans.

If you're looking for bungalos in the Sugar Land area, there's only one neighborhood that I'm aware of that has them. It is called The Hill, and is located near the old Imperial Sugar site, just off of Main Street (which is in reality not a very main street), and north of US 90A. I don't recall what prices were like back in there, offhand, though, and that could be an issue. But I'd think that it would suit your needs very nicely if it is in your price range.

I very strongly recommend that you rent an apartment for a few months before you buy. Not only so that you can search for employment before searching for a home, but also so that you can determine what is available to you and ensure that the closing process goes smoothly. It took me about three months to close on my deal...and yes that is an oddball deal, but it could happen, and I'd hate for that kind of thing to throw a wrench in your plans.

Thanks, Niche. A belated thanks for taking the time to reply. As I said I don't want to buy right away, and perhaps not at all, though I would miss those homeowner's tax deductions! I am tired of having neighbors above and below and to the sides...my concern would be getting into a good apartment complex and then being lucky with the neighbors.

Edited by 2cutecats

Thanks, Niche. A belated thanks for taking the time to reply. As I said I don't want to buy right away, and perhaps not at all, though I would miss those homeowner's tax deductions! I am tired of having neighbors above and below and to the sides...my concern would be getting into a good apartment complex and then being lucky with the neighbors.

You could always rent a house....

You could always rent a house....

Hi, JM. Thanks for reading this thread.

Is renting a _house_ realistic though for the money I'm hoping to spend?? For instance, I've seen

those little bungalows in the Hill area of SugarLand and I'm told they would rent for at least $1000. (Haven't been able to find any listings though...any leads on a management company that might know of availability appreciated.)

Beyond that area though, where would a house rental be cheap? (And staying IN Houston metro, of course.) I would say my top priority is a SAFE, good neighborhood. The more threads I read on problem nabes and the more bad reviews I read at that "apartment ratings" website (even on apt. properties that are run by supposedly "good" mgmt co's) the more I am inclined to stay put! :(

Good apartment complexes aren't too hard to find. You'll know them when you see them...trust me. And they won't break your bank on a short-term one-bedroom lease, either.

Hi, JM. Thanks for reading this thread.

Is renting a _house_ realistic though for the money I'm hoping to spend?? For instance, I've seen

those little bungalows in the Hill area of SugarLand and I'm told they would rent for at least $1000. (Haven't been able to find any listings though...any leads on a management company that might know of availability appreciated.)

Beyond that area though, where would a house rental be cheap? (And staying IN Houston metro, of course.) I would say my top priority is a SAFE, good neighborhood. The more threads I read on problem nabes and the more bad reviews I read at that "apartment ratings" website (even on apt. properties that are run by supposedly "good" mgmt co's) the more I am inclined to stay put! :(

www.har.com , this site may become your bestfriend in the next few weeks. Enjoy. It has alot of listings.

Edited by TJones

http://www.apartment-locators.com/

http://www.pathfindermove.com/

http://www.houaptloca.com/

http://www.houstonapartmentlocator.org/

All free services. Contact these guys with your perameters and let them do all the foot work for you at no charge to you. Good Luck and welcome to houston :D:D