Houston Construction

CONSTRUCTION IN HOUSTON (CITY ONLY) SINCE 2000 ... for the whiners who say "why is Atlanta and Dallas and anyplace USA building and we're not?" Yes, we are; Houston is so large no one even knows how much construction is going on. Here ya go and I'll bet I missed a few:

Name of Highrise Year Built # Floors

1 1500 Louisiana 2002 40

2 Reliant Energy Plaza 2003 36

3 717 Texas (Calpine) 2003 34

4 Mercer West 2003 30

5 Harris County Civil

Courts Bldg. 2005 18

6 5 Houston Center 2002 27

7 Royalton at River

Oaks 2003 33

8 1200 Post Oak 2003 33

9 Dominion Post Oak 2004 31

10 The Mark 2001 30

11 Montebello 2004 30

12 Hilton Americas Hotel

Downtown 2003 24

13 BMC Software Bldg. 4 2001 23

14 TCH Clinical Care 2002 16

15 One Briar Lake Plaza 2000 20

16 Villa d

CONSTRUCTION IN HOUSTON (CITY ONLY) SINCE 2000 ... for the whiners who say "why is Atlanta and Dallas and anyplace USA building and we're not?" Yes, we are; Houston is so large no one even knows how much construction is going on. Here ya go and I'll bet I missed a few:

Name of Highrise Year Built # Floors

1 1500 Louisiana 2002 40

2 Reliant Energy Plaza 2003 36

3 717 Texas (Calpine) 2003 34

4 Mercer West 2003 30

5 Harris County Civil

Courts Bldg. 2005 18

6 5 Houston Center 2002 27

7 Royalton at River

Oaks 2003 33

8 1200 Post Oak 2003 33

9 Dominion Post Oak 2004 31

10 The Mark 2001 30

11 Montebello 2004 30

12 Hilton Americas Hotel

Downtown 2003 24

13 BMC Software Bldg. 4 2001 23

14 TCH Clinical Care 2002 16

15 One Briar Lake Plaza 2000 20

16 Villa d

Add: Memorial Hermann Medical Plaza (34?) 2006

You're definitely right that there has been an enormous amount of new construction in Houston in the past 5 years. I think what frustrates people the most about Houston construction and other cities, is that in other cities the new construction is close together creating a whole new style of urban living. Which is what many people on this forum want for parts of the city. Unfortunately, that is happening at a much slower pace than Atlanta or Dallas. Right now midtown Houston doesn't have the same density as say Uptown Dallas. All of the new construction in Houston is spread out and many of the new residential towers in the Galleria area still cater more to an automobile environment.

You are right. Downtown, however, has sprouted quite a few new buildings, ballparks, courthouses, etc. since the turn of the century.

I checked quickly with Austin's building spree and they come in at around 13 (but three were in the 7, 8 9 story range which are not too tall).

Dallas came in with about 22 buildings (nice ones) and American Airlines Center.

Personally, I could give a flip about Atlanta. :lol:

Personally, I could give a flip about Atlanta. :lol:

Although I like Houston better, you should look into the happenings in Atlanta. They have done a good job at planning their highrises much closer together than has Houston, at least recently. They also have some very nice architecture.

Although I like Houston better, you should look into the happenings in Atlanta. They have done a good job at planning their highrises much closer together than has Houston, at least recently. They also have some very nice architecture.

Gary, you are so right. Atlanta has 39 new highrises since 2000. Hotlanta. I do understand the markets there have cooled off, so I would imagine until they lease up some of that vacant space that there won't be quite so many. Of course, here in Houston, can you say $70 per barrel for oil???? ;)

Well actually houston has 40, don't forget about the Mark condo's were 2 buildings, 2727 Lan Pkwy 3333 Alan Parkway and the expansion of the Galleria. Also the new building on memorial that American general built. Also Don't forget that the University of Houston has added several buildings to there main campus and downtown one

Well actually houston has 40, don't forget about the Mark condo's were 2 buildings, 2727 Lan Pkwy 3333 Alan Parkway and the expansion of the Galleria. Also the new building on memorial that American general built. Also Don't forget that the University of Houston has added several buildings to there main campus and downtown one

Cool. Thanks. I knew I couldn't find 'em all. Anyhow, HotHouston! Georgia has never been on my mind! :lol:

On SSP there is thread of completed projects in every city. Last time I saw it was the beginning of the year. Houston was posted as 44 completed buildings from 2000 to the end of 2005(not including the metro). It was quite a few more then Dallas and Atlanta. Houston's lack of recognition for new developments might be because buildings are going up all over the city like DT, Uptown, Med Center etc... Right now a highrise is going up in China Town and Memorial City for example. The new structures are not all in one or two areas. Their are a good number of midrises that are/were going up in the eastend, uptown, along Allen Pkwy etc.. that go unnoticed or unposted as well. Dallas has the Victory Project which is awesome and a couple other projects, but Houston does have twice as many projects rising. Isn't Houston's toyota center, new park, Hiltons hotel, HP, Fingers Tower, convention center exspansion etc.. all within the same 10 or 15 blocks? I guess we can give those new buildings a fancy name and it be very similar the Victory Project.

Gary, you are so right. Atlanta has 39 new highrises since 2000. Hotlanta. I do understand the markets there have cooled off, so I would imagine until they lease up some of that vacant space that there won't be quite so many. Of course, here in Houston, can you say $70 per barrel for oil???? ;)

Your right about ATL's vacant space, their CBD is sitting at almost 28% vacancy. That being said, my point was that Atlanta's new highrises are being constructed within a very close proximity of one another, Houston's are not.

Don't get me wrong, I love that Houston is building so much, I just wish there was a little more cohesiveness in our planning.

Your right about ATL's vacant space, their CBD is sitting at almost 28% vacancy. That being said, my point was that Atlanta's new highrises are being constructed within a very close proximity of one another, Houston's are not.

Don't get me wrong, I love that Houston is building so much, I just wish there was a little more cohesiveness in our planning.

While I don't know the particulars in regards to the individual cities and their zoning issues, I DO know that Houston's lack of zoning is one of the reasons why our construction sites are as scattered as they are.

It has given this city a very unique look in having what alot of other cities don't: SEVERAL city centers that are distinct in their personalities with their own skylines. I think we're rather unique in that regard.

It's also our lack of zoning which will probably give us a terrific skyline that will probably rival The New York (as in, 20 years from now), but the problem is that it is doubtful that it will happen in our lifetimes, or maybe even beyond our Grandkid's lifetimes.

The city's growth is beyond us. It's beyond what most of us feel Houston Deserves. Houston will grow into something that we love, but more so, it's just unfortunate that most of us will have a view of it 6ft below.

well just remember, since I live in Atlanta, There downtown is seperated from it's midtown area only by a double freeway going through it and seperatedfrom Buckhead by two freeways and a street. Now most of the new construct in Atlanta is either in the North end of Midtown or is being constructed by georgia State downtown for student housing. The new constructs in huston has a lot to do with TMC with 5 different constructions going on, some stuff going up in Greenspoint as well as in the differnet Buisness districts. The amount weather near are far is still an amount....lol....go Houston.

well just remember, since I live in Atlanta, There downtown is seperated from it's midtown area only by a double freeway going through it and seperatedfrom Buckhead by two freeways and a street. Now most of the new construct in Atlanta is either in the North end of Midtown or is being constructed by georgia State downtown for student housing. The new constructs in huston has a lot to do with TMC with 5 different constructions going on, some stuff going up in Greenspoint as well as in the differnet Buisness districts. The amount weather near are far is still an amount....lol....go Houston.

h-townrep: I appreciate your comments. You don't come here and run down Houston because you live in Atlanta. We've said some positive things about Atlanta. It is a great town and I wish Atlanta well. I simply want to thank you for your positive post. Can't say that about some posts from some cities in our own state. :blush:

I think one thing that alot of people fail to realize is that Houston's big construction boom happened in the last 30 years. Alot of the buildings in downtown were built up already which constitutes Houston's already massive skyline. If we think about it, Dallas and Atlanta are now getting to the point where they're starting to catch up with what Houston already has in its downtown. And also to top it off, Houston's still building throughout the city and will continue to do so.

The only thing is that Dallas and Atlanta have more "modern" development going on in their city centers. Houston is about to see more modern pedestrian friendly areas go up in its downtown with the addition of the Houston Pavilions, expansion of Main Street Square, Discovery Green, Hardy Railyards/Intermodal Station, new Hockey Stadium, Buffalo Bayou plan, U of H downtown, and the Park Tower. If we think about it, Houston is doing the same thing Atlanta and Dallas are but just doesn't brand a fancy name like Victory or Atlantic Station. Alot of the buildings are already in place.

Now if we can just get that mass transit thingy down, we'll definitely be smokin'. :P

h-townrep: I appreciate your comments. You don't come here and run down Houston because you live in Atlanta. We've said some positive things about Atlanta. It is a great town and I wish Atlanta well. I simply want to thank you for your positive post. Can't say that about some posts from some cities in our own state. :blush:

I am watching Arkansas vs. Fla. now at the Georgia Dome. Wow. It looks funky. Because in Houston, Domes are like last century. But Ga. Dome is nice.... but it isn't Reliant. B)

BTW ...Whats going up in Greenspoint?

BTW ...Whats going up in Greenspoint?

I just moved out of the Greenspoint area and if you are talking about that 10 story business tower sign on I-45 @ Greens Bayou just south of Rankin road the Harris County Flood Control District bought all the land from I-45 along the north side of Greens Bayou to Greens road and up the East side of Earthman Cemetery. So that tower is cancelled. :(

NO NO NO. I love H-town, that's my home. I was actually talkin bad about Atlanta cause someone gave Atl some props. Look at my post again. I was basically saying the only reson why Atlanta's is so close is because they only really have one city center and midtown is so close that is whuy Atlant's shows so close and they opnly build on one street. Peachtree Street. to mee that's a bad thing. I love Houston, I'd beat any one down for ragging on my Hometown of h-town.

I just moved out of the Greenspoint area and if you are talking about that 10 story business tower sign on I-45 @ Greens Bayou just south of Rankin road the Harris County Flood Control District bought all the land from I-45 along the north side of Greens Bayou to Greens road and up the East side of Earthman Cemetery. So that tower is cancelled. :(

Darn, what about the building over near the HL&P building, or did they build there already. It's been years since I drove through. the only thing I do in that area now is drive through back and forth to the Airport when I come to my city. 4th largest in the land.

well I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say all those buildings that have been completed in houston were done so well before $70/barrel.

Archived