No Parking: Condos Leave Out Cars

N Judah

this fight has been going on for yrs......i went to a planning commission meeting one time where a lady showed pics to the commission. she had a condo that had 2 outside spaces....but one of the spaces, was not accessible due to design. A car COULD fit there, if it was flown in and out by helicopter.

By the commissions standards, evidently it counted as a space.

unfortunatedly builders are emphasizing on street parking to the planning commission so that they can get an extra unit or two on the property.

I say just get rid of the requirements entirely, and build up a few extra parking garages on side streets. I've even seen parking garages with ground floor food/retail.

Although I'd generally agree that the parking requirements need to be loosened quite a bit, particularly in certain neighborhoods and corridors, I'd be weary of tossing them out entirely. Parking is one of those ugly little things that consumers don't give too much thought when choosing a place to live. And to the extent that on-street parking is available, they might not necessarily mind. But they'd be inflicting a negative externality upon non-residents of their neighborhood by taking up much of the street's surface and by reducing drivers' visibility.

And off-site parking garages built by third parties to handle demand from other buildings requires LOTS of other buildings to make it work. New speculative garages won't be feasible until after we've established a fairly brisk pace of new high-density development within a very tight geographic area.

Archived