Guessing Game #14

is it la carafe?

i KNOW it is

DING DING DING DING DING DING DING!!!!

DSC02451.jpg

The hint was the file name "1861.jpg". Actually, the real date the building was built is 1847, but a fire destroyed it except for the foundation. It was rebuilt in 1860 or 1861 - which is the date listed on the Texas historical plaque. So when you walk in there, the floor underneath is theoretically the one built in 1847.

I've never been inside there. Very cool bar. So, what's the story with the planks? Are they old or recent?

The story is that they came from a ferry that used to, well, ferry, people across the bayou. That implies before the main street bridge. I dont know if the people were on horses, cars, or what have you. That's the story Ive heard. They have been there for at least half a century for sure, but how much longer, no one could say....

....buy what i DID say after the story is "how bout another beer." Sorry, just trying to do the "norm" thing with the beer segway.

One more thing about the planks. If you get a chance and are bored...and feel like spending 4 or 7 bucks....go find a book on the used book market called "Bars of America", by Neils Fergusson (check the spelling). Then read the short story called "Pudgy Fingers." That's all I'm gonna say.

Archived