The NEW New Server

editor

Hopefully by now you've noticed that HAIF is a little snappier.

For the sixth time this year, we've outgrown our server, and this morning moved to a new one.

HAIF and its sister sites have been experiencing rapid growth, and I hope this server will be enough to hold us until the Spring.

For the curious the machine is:

3.0 GHz Pentium 4 running FreeBSD.

2GB DDR3200 SDRAM.

2x 120GB RAID1 Hard Drive.

Connectivity:

AT&T: OC-12c

Sprint: OC-12c

Global Crossing: GigE

Level(3): GigE

PitX: GigE

Now that AT&T is SBC, I'm hoping that will improve speeds for our SBC-connected users (about 20%).

When my current subscription is up im moving up to a yearly subscription. ;)

It wasn't a hint for you. Actually I'm not sure what I'm trying to say.

People who subscribe pay the bills and keep HAIF running.

People who don't subscribe but see ads also pay the bills and keep HAIF running.

So, I guess I'm just inviting everyone to continue using HAIF, and encourage people to visit more often and post more messages and just have fun. It's great that we're growing. I shouldn't complain about it. I'll shut up now. :wacko:

I was gonna do it anyway ;) I learned alot from this forum this was the first web site i ever visted when i googled Peppermint Park. I was a late bloomer.

Edited by Marty

• 7 months later...

Is HAIF having a problem with the server? I thought maybe it was my computer at home but its doing the same thing here at work. When I bring up the HAIF site the bottom of the page says .. Done, but with errors on the page. Each page on this site, and THIS site only says Done, but with errors on page. Sometimes the page will not load all the way and if I click on the last reply of a post it takes my to the start of the post and not the last reply. At times a post will have maybe 25 replys but it will show only 2 or maybe a blank page. I have Roadrunner..whoops, Comcast at home and we have at&t dsl here at work. Any ideas?

Is HAIF having a problem with the server? I thought maybe it was my computer at home but its doing the same thing here at work. When I bring up the HAIF site the bottom of the page says .. Done, but with errors on the page. Each page on this site, and THIS site only says Done, but with errors on page. Sometimes the page will not load all the way and if I click on the last reply of a post it takes my to the start of the post and not the last reply. At times a post will have maybe 25 replys but it will show only 2 or maybe a blank page. I have Roadrunner..whoops, Comcast at home and we have at&t dsl here at work. Any ideas?

I had that problem earlier too, but it appears to be working fine now.

If you see "Done, but with errors on the page" that is a sign that Internet Explorer is having difficulty with a piece of Javascript on the page, not an indication of a problem with the server delivering the page to your computer. With so many versions of Windows and IE out there these days these things are becoming more and more common.

Which version of IE are you running?

Tuesday, it did that to me all day. Every other site I visited worked fine. At about 5:30, Iwas able to get it to load again.

It has been fine since, and it is pretty quick this morning. I use IE, I think the latest version.

This may have been the same problem i was having yesterday (but i am on Firefox so maybe it just didn't give me the same errors). It just seemed to stall out and i had to keep refreshing until it decided to work.

Everything seems okay today.

ps: editor...is it supposed to be "cholocaty"?

Edited by gnu

If you see "Done, but with errors on the page" that is a sign that Internet Explorer is having difficulty with a piece of Javascript on the page, not an indication of a problem with the server delivering the page to your computer. With so many versions of Windows and IE out there these days these things are becoming more and more common.

Which version of IE are you running?

I'm running IE 7

This may have been the same problem i was having yesterday (but i am on Firefox so maybe it just didn't give me the same errors). It just seemed to stall out and i had to keep refreshing until it decided to work.

Everything seems okay today.

Sounds like one of the ad serving companies was running a misbehaving ad. Since it's resolved right now I'm going to assume they caught it and fixed it, but I'll take a look at the logs a little later.

ps: editor...is it supposed to be "cholocaty"?

Yeah. Sevfiv PMed me about that, so it's fixed. My wife knew it was wrong and didn't say anything. What's up with that?!