Guessing Game #2

TheNiche

Do we get clues - like a scavenger hunt... or is this one of those either you know it or you don't type games and if you don't know it, you're not invitedto play.

Hmm...well I was just going to reward the knowlegable, but I can see how there would be limitations on the fun factor if you don't happen to fall into that category. No personal offense intended.

Well, I'm not sure how to set this up as a scavenger hunt, but I'll definitely make the clues more descriptive. In this case, I think another photograph might do the trick. Next clue:

img2330tq2.jpg

What's the address of this great looking parking lot ?

Sorry, man. You're just going to have to use Google Earth like the rest of them.

But come on, how many places within the inner loop can substantial bodies of water, solid old buildings, and decrepit parking lots coexist?

Danax should know. ;)

So, I found it pretty quickly on Google Earth, just about the first place you would look. But my dilemma is that I still can't figure out what it is. I've tried the Handbook of Texas, HCAD, googling the buildings around it, its address from HCAD, ownership history, etc. but no dice. Tomorrow I might start cold calling businesses around it. But it is not a total loss...I found a restaurant next door I'm looking forward to trying out with its fun location.

the old Navigation District building that is on the way to Brady's Landing.

Ding ding ding...we have a pair of winners; they will split the 5,000. SamHouston and gnu have each identified the building, located at 8200 Cypress Street. It is appropriate that it'd be a pair of history buffs, as I'm curious what they'll dig up about the place. I'm at home right now and don't have access to the image, but will post the full building at work tomorrow afternoon.

It looks like a miniature Fort Knox and is owned by the Port Authority of Houston. At one point they'd leased it out to Buffalo Marine as office space and a boat launch, but it currently sits vacant. I called them and asked about its status, whether I might be able to buy it from them, etc., and received a solid 'no'. They are planning to put it back on the market for lease at some point in the near future. But the building's original purpose and history is still somewhat of a mystery to me.

By the way, Sam, skip Brady's Landing. You'd be much better off packing in some food with you and picnicing on their lawn. They won't mind, it'll be much more delicious, and far less expensive.

Sorry, man. You're just going to have to use Google Earth like the rest of them.

But come on, how many places within the inner loop can substantial bodies of water, solid old buildings, and decrepit parking lots coexist?

Danax should know. ;)

Heh, Thought I would just try to lead you down the primrose path, and you would give it up to me. :lol:

Danax should know. ;)

Nice building. I would've thought I'd seen every old structure over here but somehow I've missed that one and I've yet to eat at Brady's Landing. There are always others on HAIF to pick up the slack though.

Scenes like that won't last too many more decades, imho. That area where the Brays and Buffalo merge has huge residential waterfront potential, as does the stretch of Broadway in old Harrisburg to be turned into a revitalized retail/restaurant zone.

When the really big wave of interest takes off on the East End, I predict Harrisburg will rise from the dead.